OT: Seattle team

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Bit off regular topics. But...So how is this expansion draft going to affect the Pacific?
Is this going to be another ready-made spoiled contender like Vegas in the Pacific with four decent lines and a great cap situation where they can improve further via trades?

Seems like a bit inconsistent to put both expansion teams in the same division. Personally I think Vegas should move to the Central.

200.webp

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bit off regular topics. But...So how is this expansion draft going to affect the Pacific?
Is this going to be another ready-made spoiled contender like Vegas in the Pacific with four decent lines and a great cap situation where they can improve further via trades?

Seems like a bit inconsistent to put both expansion teams in the same division. Personally I think Vegas should move to the Central.

I think Gary is keeping the rules the same I heard/read so the team is hopefully competitive right out of the gate, like Vegas has been.

Phoenix has already been confirmed to be moving to the Central, thank God. I hate playing them five times a year.

Coyotes to move from Pacific to Central Division

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think Gary is keeping the rules the same I heard/read so the team is hopefully competitive right out of the gate, like Vegas has been.

Phoenix has already been confirmed to be moving to the Central, thank God. I hate playing them five times a year.

Coyotes to move from Pacific to Central Division
I won't miss them either. Vegas is a bigger threat right now, but can't stand that boring Coyotes hockey.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

200.webp
Yes it's going to be the same draft set up as Vegas'. Also Vegas doesn't give anyone up. This was agreed to when they came into the league.

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
Yes it's going to be the same draft set up as Vegas'. Also Vegas doesn't give anyone up. This was agreed to when they came into the league.
Yep, the catch is that they won't see a split of that $650 mil entrance fee that Seattle has to pay the NHL.

Also, OT on an OT thread but, how do I change the 'Registered User' under my name to something else?

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Teams probably won't be doing the same kinda of moves that helped stack Las Vegas.....ie take Marchessault in expansion draft and here's Reilly Smith as well.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Yep, the catch is that they won't see a split of that $650 mil entrance fee that Seattle has to pay the NHL.

Also, OT on an OT thread but, how do I change the 'Registered User' under my name to something else?

Click on your avatar in the top right corner and click on "change username" at the top of the list.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I heard Kraken was in the running but hadn't seen anything confirmed. I'll admit, I like those mythological creatures so think the name is cool; however, just not for an NHL team. It sounds more of a name for a semi-pro league team.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I heard Kraken was in the running but hadn't seen anything confirmed. I'll admit, I like those mythological creatures so think the name is cool; however, just not for an NHL team. It sounds more of a name for a semi-pro league team.
I think the name is kind of cool as well, but in a weird way. Kings vs the Kraken. Has a strange sound to it.

Hopefully they are Kraken the bottom five though.

Reactions: TB12

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Vegas really built their team through pre-draft trades that gave up players. I think teams will be less willing to do that and more willing to trade picks to get the same protection. Vegas had 3 firsts and 3 seconds going into the 2017 draft. Seattle could own the back half of the first round and the front half of the second.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kraken? I thought that was a joke. What on Earth?

From a marketing perspective just name the team the Seattle Metropolitans and see that you've already won a Stanley Cup, over a century ago..

Meanwhile Vancouver should rename their club Vancouver Millionaires which fits even more now considering you have to be to buy a house there, and that team also won a Stanley Cup and its looking like the only one..

At least the Vancouver Millionaires could put up some legit banners in the rafters instead of participation ribbons.

Reactions: ScoreGoalsPlease

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
I googled what a kraken is. It reminds me of pirates of the Caribbean. Kind of a cool name to be honest.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm sure if anyone had been asking pre-Vegas expansion draft about the Pacific getting two expansion teams within a four year span, most of the other divisions would have been upset for the opposite reason the OP is mentioning here.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if Seattle was as strong out of the gate as Vegas. Vegas had the advantage where most of the NHL hadn't experienced an expansion so you had too many executive panic and over think things leading to pre-expansion draft trades which is really what has helped Vegas establish roots rather than the expansion draft itself. Well that and a cap strapped Penguins team just having completed a cup run with a rookie goalie willingly giving up a true number 1 goalie.

I'm sure there will be less panic this time resulting in teams like Florida giving up mulitple top 6 forwards just to protect Petrovic who isn't even in the NHL anymore. Couple that with the fact that teams have known this is coming for a longer time than with the Vegas expansion draft allowing teams a longer time to get their roster planned to minimize the impact.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I have been thinking about this for a while yet no one brings it up so am I missing something. If we do not trade Russell before the expansion draft we will have to protect him as one of our four defencemen (assuming we go 8 players instead of 7 and 3). We have Nurse, Jones, Bear, and Klefbom to report. Why would anyone take him on and have to protect him so we lose one of those 4.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have been thinking about this for a while yet no one brings it up so am I missing something. If we do not trade Russell before the expansion draft we will have to protect him as one of our four defencemen (assuming we go 8 players instead of 7 and 3). We have Nurse, Jones, Bear, and Klefbom to report. Why would anyone take him on and have to protect him so we lose one of those 4.

No we wouldn't have to protect him. I've had a hard time finding the specific literature on it, but last draft any player with an expiring NMC on June 30 didn't need protection. Since Russells full contract expires June 30, he wouldn't need to be protected.

The best I could find was these.

https://thehockeywriters.com/expansion-draft-rules-gain-clarity/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ess-about-the-nhls-las-vegas-expansion-draft/
https://nypost.com/2016/06/07/nhl-teams-dont-have-to-protect-2017-free-agents-in-expansion-draft/

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Vegas really built their team through pre-draft trades that gave up players. I think teams will be less willing to do that and more willing to trade picks to get the same protection. Vegas had 3 firsts and 3 seconds going into the 2017 draft. Seattle could own the back half of the first round and the front half of the second.
vegas was originally built on the backs of MAF, if the seattle team doesnt get a top 5 goalie in teh league they will not be a threat

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
vegas was originally built on the backs of MAF, if the seattle team doesnt get a top 5 goalie in teh league they will not be a threat

Looking at goalies in a similar situation to Fleury (large cap hit that team may be willing to move on from) the only guys I can foresee that could be in that kind of situation are Price and Bobrovski, but in both of their cases, they are quite a few years older so less appealing than Fleury was. Though I could see an outside chance at Bob being available making Florida once again save an expansion team.

Reactions: CornKicker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad