Seattle Mock Expansion Draft: Win Now Team

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Why is many teams protecting UFA's? Why is Seattle picking them LOL?

Such a wasted exercise.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Why is many teams protecting UFA's? Why is Seattle picking them LOL?

Such a wasted exercise.

This team is for 2019-20. Seattle is starting play in October with a win-now mentality for the season to come thus interested in high-profile UFAs that could give them a chance at playoffs or even a Cup run. Likewise, other teams are protecting players they want and need for the season to come regardless of whether they are UFAs next summer. That should make sense, not?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Just to note this is just a what would the team look if Seattle starts next season scenario.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
This team is for 2019-20. Seattle is starting play in October with a win-now mentality for the season to come thus interested in high-profile UFAs that could give them a chance at playoffs or even a Cup run. Likewise, other teams are protecting players they want and need for the season to come regardless of whether they are UFAs next summer. That should make sense, not?
No, it makes zero sense.

Why protect a UFA? You have no more right to that player than any other team. Why use a protection spot on them? Simply sign them after the expansion draft. That's what generally happened last time.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
No, it makes zero sense.

Why protect a UFA? You have no more right to that player than any other team. Why use a protection spot on them? Simply sign them after the expansion draft. That's what generally happened last time.

I don't believe my mock has any current UFAs protected. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong? The current UFAs are not even mentioned in my mock. Everybody on the protected and exposed lists are either under contract for 2019-20 or will be (RFAs). Likewise for all of Seattle's selections.

If I was protecting UFAs, that would mean Jake Gardiner would be protected by Toronto and Patrick Maroon by St. Louis, etc. Those guys are excluded. You must have some misunderstanding?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I don't believe my mock has any current UFAs protected. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong? The current UFAs are not even mentioned in my mock. Everybody on the protected and exposed lists are either under contract for 2019-20 or will be (RFAs). Likewise for all of Seattle's selections.

If I was protecting UFAs, that would mean Jake Gardiner would be protected by Toronto and Patrick Maroon by St. Louis, etc. Those guys are excluded. You must have some misunderstanding?

I noticed that Seattle picked Brodie who is a UFA after this season.

Edit; I just noticed you were doing this based on thee expansion happening now. That is particularly lame, as teams will shuffle many things in advance of expansion. It's a complete waste of an exercise.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I noticed that Seattle picked Brodie who is a UFA after this season.

Edit; I just noticed you were doing this based on thee expansion happening now. That is particularly lame, as teams will shuffle many things in advance of expansion. It's a complete waste of an exercise.

But it's even more of a wasted exercise to attempt a 2021 mock for the exact reason you just stated "teams will shuffle many things in advance of expansion" so why not look at the kind of team Seattle could pick today for the upcoming 2019-20 season? That is more realistic than trying to predict a roster two years from now.

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
If the draft were today, as you said for your article, Ducks would not have to protect Troy Terry, Isac Lundestrom, Sam Steel, or Max Jones. Sure, you didn't choose a forward but come on. Follow your own rules. You're also dreaming if you think the Ducks would protect Guhle over Manson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad