Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2021-7-17_14-57-45.png

All things Kraken Draft and Expansion related trades.

Expansion, NHL Draft television information announced

entire list:

NHL.com Media Site

Important NHL dates:

July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 17: At 3 p.m. the Expansion Draft trade and waiver freeze begins. No NHL SPCs can be signed in this period except by Seattle in relation to the draft. All other teams must live with their roster as it exists during the freeze. Seattle is able to sign pending UFAs and RFAs to SPCs (see below) and also to make trades with teams that will be finalized by the league when the freeze is lifted. But two other teams cannot make side deals, nor can they re-sign their own UFAs or RFAs during this period.
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).

July 22: Expansion draft roster freeze ends

July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.

July 26: Qualifying offers due to restricted free agents (Kase, Ritchie, Wolff, Lantosi, Booth, Senyshyn, Arnesson, Cehlarik, JFK). Players can not sign them until July 28.

July 27: First buyout period ends. There's a second window if teams go to arbitration. Can buyout contracts over $4 million.

July 27: Teams can begin to talk to other club's RFA's regarding an offer sheet. Cannot sign until July 28.

July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
interesting question from Twitter...

@DominicT any idea how they enforce this?

Basically it's done in good faith, but any attempt to screw with the rules forfeits a first round pick.

It's also why the NHL and NHLPA have 24 hours to review the lists and make sure things are done correctly.

As to your question, every day a team has to submit their rosters to the league. If they see a d-man list as defense for 364 days and all of a sudden he's a forward, that's going to raise eyebrows

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Basically it's done in good faith, but any attempt to screw with the rules forfeits a first round pick.

It's also why the NHL and NHLPA have 24 hours to review the lists and make sure things are done correctly.

As to your question, every day a team has to submit their rosters to the league. If they see a d-man list as defense for 364 days and all of a sudden he's a forward, that's going to raise eyebrows
I see, so they don't rely on one mechanism but rather just constant scrutiny to ensure every team is following the rules as written as well as the spirit of the rules. I don't envy those who have to execute this process with all its intricacies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I see, so they don't rely on one mechanism but rather just constant scrutiny to ensure every team is following the rules as written as well as the spirit of the rules. I don't envy those who have to execute this process with all its intricacies.
It's a lot of work to do in 24 hours. You basically have to go over all the contracts of over 900 players who have a contract, cross reference NMC, check the games played of every single player left unprotected to make sure teams meet minimum requirements.

I'm sure there is some software that will do the work for them but still a lot of work.

I have no doubt they will be working all night.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
interesting question from Twitter...

@DominicT any idea how they enforce this?

I'd think it's just the honor system. Teams have official published rosters with positions. While it's not uncommon for D-men to take some shifts at wing in a pinch (I believe Boychuk played a bit of wing when he first came here), it's rare that a player switches their position full time. Byfuglien and Burns are the only two guys I can think of in recent history who have had official position changes.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Any idea when protected listed will come out? Was hoping to see stuff by now since they've been submitted for a couple hours but haven't seen anything official.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

yeah….
But I believe the lists actually go to and through the NHL first for vetting and approval.
Any monkey business would be easily caught and Im guessing since hundreds of millions are on line the punishment would be crazy severe.

Picks for sure…..and if I’m the league I fine the franchise their share of the expansion fee.
About $20 million more or less.

But thats me.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
And away we go. Several big trades or trades for player's rights are already done. No sleeping at the wheel. Come on now every single draft choice count. Tampa traded 10 days of negotiating (Barclay Goodrow for a 7th round). Sweeney, come on and start collecting draft picks and show some creativity. Show us you learned something at Harvard....

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Pretty impressed with how tight lipped everything has been in terms of no leaks coming out so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad