News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part III]

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I wasn't able to be online yesterday from right about the "official" time of the draft until now.

So I'm playing catch-up.

Do I see this correctly that Seattle made *zero* deals yesterday?

I'm guessing they all start flying when the rosters unfreeze. Because this current roster they have is hoagly.

Reactions: uncleben

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think that we all need to keep an eye on the Soucy/Lauzon/Dunn group when it comes to the trade market, because Seattle has essentially announced their defense as the following yesterday via player intros:

Giordano-Larsson
Oleksiak-???
H. Fleury-C. Fleury

IMO, there's essentially one slot available for that second pair slot. Personally, I would keep Lauzon out of this group and use Soucy and Dunn as trade chips for either waivers-exempt assets or more forward help.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I wasn't able to be online yesterday from right about the "official" time of the draft until now.

So I'm playing catch-up.

I'm guessing they all start flying when the rosters unfreeze. Because this current roster they have is hoagly.
You are not wrong

Apparently zero draft trades... the picks you see were done on Seattle's own volition.

There are reportedly some after-draft trades pending, where SEA will flip a guy they drafted to another team (probably mostly D being flipped - they actually have a decent D corps and lots of it)

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
The only thing certain about the expansion draft is that 90% of HF posters would conclude that the Kraken handled it much less than optimally, but this was true before the draft even took place. While I don't expect them to go to the SCF, it will surprise me if they don't make the playoffs (even as the lowest seed). The Kraken have put together a solid team, albeit lacking in star power, but if they can get some of these guys who underperformed elsewhere to turn it up a notch, they'll do just fine. Plus, they have some significant cap space remaining which might make things really interesting as the end-of-season trade deadline approaches and extraordinary opportunities appear.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

So I'm playing catch-up.

NHL said:
At 3 p.m. this afternoon, a trade and waiver freeze goes into effect, locking rosters into place as the Team 32, the Seattle Kraken prepare for the 2021 Expansion Draft. The expansion draft picks will be announced on Wednesday, July 21, at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.
Seattle will be the only team allowed to sign players to contracts during this period, and they can also make “side-deals” with the existing teams that will be finalized by the NHL once the freeze is lifted.
The freeze will be lifted on Thursday, July 22 at 1 p.m EDT. After that point, all the teams will return to normal operations and proceed to the entry draft portion of this truncated offseason on July 23, when the first round of the 2021 Draft will be held virtually.

if there's some, they will be announced shortly

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The only thing certain about the expansion draft is that 90% of HF posters would conclude that the Kraken handled it much less than optimally, but this was true before the draft even took place. While I don't expect them to go to the SCF, it will surprise me if they don't make the playoffs (even as the lowest seed). The Kraken have put together a solid team, albeit lacking in star power, but if they can get some of these guys who underperformed elsewhere to turn it up a notch, they'll do just fine. Plus, they have some significant cap space remaining which might make things really interesting as the end-of-season trade deadline approaches and extraordinary opportunities appear.

I generally have kept my mouth shut on expansion clubs. There's certainly room here for 2-3 late-bloomers to surprise everyone and contribute top-6 production with new ice time opportunities. I've been a general fan of Ron Francis and his team since he was the GM of my hometown club, but one criticism of him that I have is that his general behavior of being mind-numbingly conservative on player transactions back when he was the Carolina GM, sometimes to the detriment of the on-ice product, doesn't seem to have changed one inch since his new job.

Last edited:
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013

If they can get basically 80% of their forwards to produce 10-20 more points they'll be fine for sure.

Unless they make some major moves to bring in anything resembling a first line and a goalie tandem I think they will end up closer to the 1st overall than the playoffs.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Gotta think McPhee is kicking himself for demanding over the top prices, and then ending up with what he's got here. He had a once in a franchise lifetime opportunity to gather assets and didn't. Really surprised with what Seattle came out with. They still have a ton of money to play with, but could have weaponized that far better yesterday.

This looks like an expansion team. Vegas is an expansion team that has come along once, ever, in any sport, Seattle looks a long way off of that.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Not taking Tarasenko and Kahkonen was a surprise. Perhaps they couldn't find a trade partner with Tarasenko. Don't see a lot of upside in forwards taken. Defense looks solid though.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
With the Isles protecting Clutterbuck, it looked like Lou was angling to keep the Isles' 4th line intact by re-signing Cizikas.

That plan might be in the crapper given Seattle's cap space and lack of depth at center.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not taking Tarasenko and Kahkonen was a surprise. Perhaps they couldn't find a trade partner with Tarasenko. Don't see a lot of upside in forwards taken. Defense looks solid though.

Me and my buddy were talking what if they sign Hoffman Schwartz landeskogg and another forward and just steal the ufa class. That's roughly 20mil there. They have the cap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
With the Isles protecting Clutterbuck, it looked like Lou was angling to keep the Isles' 4th line intact by re-signing Cizikas.

That plan might be in the crapper given Seattle's cap space and lack of depth at center.

What may keep the Isles plan working, however, is that IMO they're now a top-echelon UFA destination similar to Tampa/Boston/Carolina/Vegas/Colorado, where (historically-speaking) guys will purposefully leave AAV and/or years on the table in order to play for a contender. Cizikas and Palmieri may be two examples of such guys, and hopefully, for my hometown club Carolina, the same applies to Hamilton, McGinn, and Hakanpaa.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

So I'm playing catch-up.

They did not

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
So nhl webpage or Herr for all the moves, or are we going to have some Seattle mariner baseball players call out every one...lol

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad