Seattle GM: Likely Francis (UPD: Francis Named GM 7/18/19)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Personally I would prefer someone new getting a chance. My preference is the following:

Lawrence Gilman - former Canucks AGM and current Leafs capologist

Sunny Mehta - former Devils director of analytics

Ron Hextall - did a good job slowly rebuilding the Flyers

John Chayka (if he gets fired by the Coyotes)

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
While GM is important, the positions of Director of Player Personnel , Director of NHL Scouting, Director of Amateur and European Scouting are key to the franchise success. Vegas did a great job evaluating players that were available in the expansion draft. Further, they
drafted good prospects. McPhee got the credit for Vegas, but the early success they had were recommendations from the scouts etc.
Cap won't be an issue for an expansion team, but selecting the right players in the expansion draft and NHL draft is vital to the franchise..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really hope Seattle plucks some AGM that’s waiting for his shot, rather than Holland.
With Tippett being an advisor I'm curious what they do.

Not sure if Tippett and Chayka saw eye to eye, so does that mean Tippett stays away from the young analytical type?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
While GM is important, the positions of Director of Player Personnel , Director of NHL Scouting, Director of Amateur and European Scouting are key to the franchise success. Vegas did a great job evaluating players that were available in the expansion draft. Further, they
drafted good prospects. McPhee got the credit for Vegas, but the early success they had were recommendations from the scouts etc.
Cap won't be an issue for an expansion team, but selecting the right players in the expansion draft and NHL draft is vital to the franchise..
I still wonder if teams are going to just deal with Seattle the way Vegas was. Seemed as if everyone rather pay Vegas or give Vegas a better player rather than trading a player for the highest price. Was if everyone didn't care as they thought even if they gave a good player away it's only an expansion team, how good could they be?

I do agree with everything else you say though. They hired a good group and spent a lot of time evaluating players.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This could be one of those cases where the NHL has a say in what the GM would be for Seattle. We need to be successful right out of the gate. I believe Kelly McCrimmon could be a possibility. He's assist GM for Vegas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I've got my Vegas glasses on, but I think McCrimmon is a guy Seattle should definitely look at.

I wouldn't want him to leave the Knights, though.

At some point he'll probably want to be GM instead of assistant GM.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
At some point he'll probably want to be GM instead of assistant GM.
He's still got the Wheat Kings, though I don't know how involved he is anymore. He's turned down other AGM positions prior to coming to Vegas, including one from Toronto supposedly. He might just want to stay in the desert.

Still got some time prior to anything happening, I'm sure the picture will get a little clearer as time passes.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What if Yzerman wants to take on a new challenge of building up an expansion team from scratch?
He stated to wanted to move back home to be with family in Detroit. So unless he changes his mind I don't see Stevie joining any team other than the Wings.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He's still got the Wheat Kings, though I don't know how involved he is anymore. He's turned down other AGM positions prior to coming to Vegas, including one from Toronto supposedly. He might just want to stay in the desert.

Still got some time prior to anything happening, I'm sure the picture will get a little clearer as time passes.

We'll know by next summer.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Would be so nice if a young franchise didn't bring in an old hand like Hextall, Holland, Bowman, etc. Be forward-thinking and find the next up and coming GM who embraces analytics and can grow with the franchise and be there 10+ years.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Would be so nice if a young franchise didn't bring in an old hand like Hextall, Holland, Bowman, etc. Be forward-thinking and find the next up and coming GM who embraces analytics and can grow with the franchise and be there 10+ years.
When Vegas started, I was really hoping for Botterill to get the Vegas GM position. When that didn't happen and we got McPhee from the ol' boys club I was a little bummed. However, in retrospect, I don't think a new guy could have pulled off what McPhee managed to pull off.

Getting into the groove as a new GM is likely hard enough without having to try to work with 30 other old hands with more experience than you right away at the expansion draft. I'd say Seattle should go with a re-tread or Kelly McCrimmon as mentioned above.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Personally I would prefer someone new getting a chance. My preference is the following:

Lawrence Gilman - former Canucks AGM and current Leafs capologist

Sunny Mehta - former Devils director of analytics

Ron Hextall - did a good job slowly rebuilding the Flyers

John Chayka (if he gets fired by the Coyotes)

If even half the stuff coming out of Philly right now about Hextall is correct, then no thanks. While he did a good job of restocking an absolutely depleted prospect pool, some of the control freak policies and actions he is accused of are down right insane crazy. But then again, Holmgren and Clarke kind of have a history of unkind reports coming out regarding employees that are let go, so :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad