• Still undecided but probably yes

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Still undecided but probably no

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure when it is released but sometime later this summer they update their waitlist and usually that begets a thread of responses (I was 1467 now I'm 945, etc) and the highest number is usually rounded up and we conclude that if PatrickO'Sullivan4Eva says he is 3279 then the list is about 3500.

It'll be telling how many guys claim to have huge jumps (and that might be the case due to new regulations Oilers introduced about waitlist and some dropped off) and how high it is.

Thanks for that. It will be telling indeed.

As much as Edmonton is still dependent on the oil patch, I guess the same can't be said about the Oilers.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Thanks for that. It will be telling indeed.

As much as Edmonton is still dependent on the oil patch, I guess the same can't be said about the Oilers.

My hunch is that regardless of the oil patch and regardless of the team's success the Oilers probably built this barn a little too big and that theory may be proved correct within the next year or two.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My hunch is that regardless of the oil patch and regardless of the team's success the Oilers probably built this barn a little too big and that theory may be proved correct within the next year or two.
The bigger barn was one of the selling points they used to get their sweetheart deal from city council. The city wanted an even higher capacity. Not sure that deal happens otherwise. The problem isn’t how many seats are in the arena anyway. The problem is that the team has been mismanaged for years, especially since Katz has owned the team, and they have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. People are getting tired of flushing their money down the toilet for a garbage product. If the team was better wouldn’t be much of an issue.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The bigger barn was one of the selling points they used to get their sweetheart deal from city council. The city wanted an even higher capacity. Not sure that deal happens otherwise. The problem isn’t how many seats are in the arena anyway. The problem is that the team has been mismanaged for years, especially since Katz has owned the team, and they have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. People are getting tired of flushing their money down the toilet for a garbage product. If the team was better wouldn’t be much of an issue.

I did not realize the City wanted a bigger arena. Interesting. Thanks. Smaller makes more sense - bigger than the last one, smaller than this one.

Skawtty

Aug 29, 2015
Central Alberta
They say season seat renewal by tomorrow. That is just to receive oiler bucks next year, big deal. I don't know when you really have to renew by but I hope to see more happening with the team and any changes that are coming before I do decide, I am leaning towards not renewing but ya never know.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It was a problem arena configuration from the start. Leveraged to money and a blue blood seating design. With MORE Lower bowl, more premium seating and FAR less affordable ticket option and NO 3rd tier gallery.

For the average person Rexall was a far better design, layout, and range of ticket options.

Rogers is configured for excess boom times. If we ever have a worse recession during the Rogers arena time frame that's going to look like a strange seating design.

Canmore Mike was intelligent enough to pick DRL seats. Those are the best value seats in the rink. hardly any other seat in the rink has value.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
They say season seat renewal by tomorrow. That is just to receive oiler bucks next year, big deal. I don't know when you really have to renew by but I hope to see more happening with the team and any changes that are coming before I do decide, I am leaning towards not renewing but ya never know.
Are you sure? The email says "Just a friendly reminder that the deadline for renewing your Season Seats is only 10 days away on Thursday, March 22.

Renewing your Season Seats online is simple and only takes a few minutes. You will also receive $100 per seat in Oilers Bucks when you renew."

Maybe confirm that with them if you're on the fence.

They probably know better than to let us wait and see what Chia does this summer :nod:

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
It was a problem arena configuration from the start. Leveraged to money and a blue blood seating design. With MORE Lower bowl, more premium seating and FAR less affordable ticket option and NO 3rd tier gallery.

For the average person Rexall was a far better design, layout, and range of ticket options.

Rogers is configured for excess boom times. If we ever have a worse recession during the Rogers arena time frame that's going to look like a strange seating design.

Canmore Mike was intelligent enough to pick DRL seats. Those are the best value seats in the rink. hardly any other seat in the rink has value.

Two part question:

What would you have done differently to make the arena more fan friendly for the average person?

Are there any arenas - new or old (besides Rexall) - that you have visited that would be a better layout for fans.

And thank you for noticing my intelligence. I have a wife you need to share this information with! :-D

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
Well, I renewed.

I will digress though, I was out...done. I’ve had enough. The clincher for me this season besides the crappy play was the 9 mil in cap space that went unused, then jacking the price of tickets yet again. I told my wife my decision, and she would have none of it. Long story short, my wife made me renew!
Another dumpster fire season next year and I think I can finally sway her.

I will say that I have never had my rep try to get a hold of me to renew like they did this year...calls and emails. She also emailed me and thanked me for renewing. This has never happened before so maybe the writings on the wall? Who knows.

As for those drink rails seats, I could have gotten them when we did the move from Rexall...I had no idea (I thought they would be similar to the ones in rexall...no thanks), and it was tough deciding as the transfer was all done over the computer sight unseen. Kick myself every time I walk down to my seats. I have aisle seats though..could be worse!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well, I renewed.

I will digress though, I was out...done. I’ve had enough. The clincher for me this season besides the crappy play was the 9 mil in cap space that went unused, then jacking the price of tickets yet again. I told my wife my decision, and she would have none of it. Long story short, my wife made me renew!

I will say that I have never had my rep try to get a hold of me to renew like they did this year...calls and emails. She also emailed me and thanked me for renewing. This has never happened before so maybe the writings on the wall? Who knows.

As for those drink rails seats, I could have gotten them when we did the move from Rexall...I had no idea (I thought they would be similar to the ones in rexall...no thanks), and it was tough deciding as the transfer was all done over the computer sight unseen. Kick myself every time I walk down to my seats. I have aisle seats though..could be worse!

Your wife is a smart woman. They will be better next year.

As for the tickets being sight unseen the Oilers had a website where you could preview the sightlines from any seat and later down the street from Rogers had the building with the life size mock-ups of the various seating options with a large screen so you could see your approximate sight lines. That’s how I decided on the pair of Loge ledge seats. I have a couple friends who bought drink rail seats and they love them.

As for renewal my seats are on a 3 year contract so my next renewal isn’t until next year but I will be renewing them when the time comes as they are fantastic seats and I enjoy going to the games.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I waited so many years to get Oilers season tickets for various reasons, money, location, family, etc.

Now im in a position to have them, so I got them, and will not be giving them up ever unless my location changes.

Oilers have my support always and forever!

Reactions: Night Witch

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Well, I renewed.

I'm not saying anything about you or your specific situation(It's your money, do what you want) when I point this out, but this is why the team doesn't care and a lot of us are always skeptical in these threads.

It's always pages of STH's complaining that they're fed up and totally aren't going to renew, and then they renew.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Two part question:

What would you have done differently to make the arena more fan friendly for the average person?

Are there any arenas - new or old (besides Rexall) - that you have visited that would be a better layout for fans.

And thank you for noticing my intelligence. I have a wife you need to share this information with! :-D

heh, Its always been a pleasure reading your posts and replies.

The DT arena build was always going to be difficult because unlike Rexall, which is a huge excavation build (with entire lower bowl submerged) the DT build would be primarily above ground meaning increasing costs with height and size and also looking somewhat unwieldy if its too high. This, along with the citations that building a 20K arena would be just too cost prohibitive resulted in the current layout and design.

I think for some cheap seats you need a third tier. Or a design that is not symmetrical but bowed with greater height on one end. I've always thought an Arena attached to a skyscraper hotel would be in interesting concept and that the end attached to the adjoining skyscraper would be much higher height and allow for higher seating on that end. Also with Some hotel levels that would have a view as well (from higher) of the arena.

Tampa formerly played in an arena that had an interesting seating configuration (its unlike what I describe above) but it offered higher tiers on one end thus increasing attendance and capacity.

Skawtty

Aug 29, 2015
Central Alberta
Are you sure? The email says "Just a friendly reminder that the deadline for renewing your Season Seats is only 10 days away on Thursday, March 22.

Renewing your Season Seats online is simple and only takes a few minutes. You will also receive $100 per seat in Oilers Bucks when you renew."

They probably know better than to let us wait and see what Chia does this summer :nod:
Yes have an email in at the moment waiting for a response still.

Skawtty

Aug 29, 2015
Central Alberta

Just got back to me and said it is not a guarantee the seats will stay avail but will check up with me in a couple weeks to renew. That is not the timeframe I was hoping for haha. So good bye seats hope someone enjoys them . I will buy off oilers site if I need to next year. Go oilers!

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I was told the same thing when I asked what the renewal day is if you don’t care about Oiler Bucks because they make it sound like that’s seriously what this day is about, just getting those bucks by renewing early. I have two lower bowl and my brother three in the uppers and we will only be renewing the uppers and looking for 2 seats. If there are no good ones, we will just be letting them all go. I should have recorded the conversation with my rep to prove it though, I guess haha.

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
I'm not saying anything about you or your specific situation(It's your money, do what you want) when I point this out, but this is why the team doesn't care and a lot of us are always skeptical in these threads.

It's always pages of STH's complaining that they're fed up and totally aren't going to renew, and then they renew.

You aren’t married, are you? Lol

It wasn’t really about the money. We have both moved all over the country for work over the last 10 years, but we are now back in Edmonton. I think this had a lot to do with her wanting to keep them. She wants us to be able to take advantage of having the ability to actually go and enjoy our tickets while we are living here.

I’m just tired of the losing. I thought this was the year that Chia should have pulled the trigger and went for it while Connor was still on his entry level deal. Missed opportunity for sure IMO.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad