Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Still undecided but probably no

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Not a season seat holder. Was interested in seeing the results, but apparently can only see the poll results if I vote?

What is the logic behind that feature?

Yeah, that's a ridiculous bit of formatting. I have to be dishonest and vote in order to see the poll results? That's the way the board was setup and needs to be changed. Anybody should be able to view the poll results.

Reactions: Aerrol

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Good luck selling them. They are currently going for less than half price. I recommend that you really do some searching in the hope you can find someone to split them with unless you want to take a bath monetarily.

What I actually meant was splitting with someone. They buy 1/2 the tickets upfront at my cost. 2 of my buddies have been doing this for a few years and they say they get tons of calls from their Kijiji ads.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
What I actually meant was splitting with someone. They buy 1/2 the tickets upfront at my cost. 2 of my buddies have been doing this for a few years and they say they get tons of calls from their Kijiji ads.

Do you know if they charge extra or does he charge what he pays?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry, I'm not a Tier 1 fan who can afford season tickets so I don't know when renewal deadlines are.

Let all the big talkers post a pic of their denied renewal. The sheep will be back....

I don't have to, or intend to post a pic of anything . We're not renewing our tickets, and that's that. I just commented on this thread because of the question that was asked. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone.

Reactions: PGW and Nonamee

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Bought the full season off someone at cost this year (including rights to playoff tickets).
Had the opportunity to do the same next year but I passed without hesitation.

I can easily buy similar tickets on game day for my cost, if not cheaper. I ended up keeping 13 games this year but it was a helluva effort to sell the games that I did.
More stress than I need for sure

You are taking this very personally.

Not really... He's absolutely right

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Bought the full season off someone at cost this year (including rights to playoff tickets).
Had the opportunity to do the same next year but I passed without hesitation.

I can easily buy similar tickets on game day for my cost, if not cheaper. I ended up keeping 13 games this year but it was a helluva effort to sell the games that I did.
More stress than I need for sure

Not really... He's absolutely right

Agreed.

95% renewals at this point would be a sickening message for the org. Its the unending message that this org can serve crap and people pay tons for it. Only now to see McDavid, through no expertise of the org, and only drafting him due to lotto luck.

The one bad aspect about drafting McD and getting a new shiny arena is the suspicion that it gave this org another free decade of blanket faith from STH that are all dialed in.

This is an org that pretty much fire sale'd all the players that this org sucked and tanked half a dozen years to obtain. That being one huge lie of a rebuild that never occurred.

What business improves their product or R & D much when sales are always at their max?

What business tries harder to please when sales are always at their max?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamin

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Agreed.

95% renewals at this point would be a sickening message for the org. Its the unending message that this org can serve crap and people pay tons for it. Only now to see McDavid, through no expertise of the org, and only drafting him due to lotto luck.

The one bad aspect about drafting McD and getting a new shiny arena is the suspicion that it gave this org another free decade of blanket faith from STH that are all dialed in.

This is an org that pretty much fire sale'd all the players that this org sucked and tanked half a dozen years to obtain. That being one huge lie of a rebuild that never occurred.

What business improves their product or R & D much when sales are always at their max?

What business tries harder to please when sales are always at their max?
If they miss the playoffs next year (which they will) the org is in big trouble. That waiting list is going to disappear.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I renewed, money isn't an issue, but I'll give them one more year to improve the product on the ice, if not then I am out.
Ditto. I changed my vote from "Still undecided probably no" to Yes :laugh:.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
The thing is like 15-20% of Season Ticket Holders buy them to flip them or are resellers. If the Oilers do not make the playoffs they lose money. They only made money last year due to playoffs and new arena hype. There will be a ton of people not renewing, even more so if there is no huge changes.

Reactions: Simby

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Our tickets were renewed. I do split them up with 5 guys (9 games each) it works well. Also the price didn't increase lol

Last years season and playoffs were amazing. I just can't pass up the opportunity to enjoy that again....hopefully.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The thing is like 15-20% of Season Ticket Holders buy them to flip them or are resellers. If the Oilers do not make the playoffs they lose money. They only made money last year due to playoffs and new arena hype. There will be a ton of people not renewing, even more so if there is no huge changes.

Nah, as another poster mentioned its the same all the time. People were talking about not renewing way back in the 90's or before the cap, or after the cap, and the various times the team was bad. They renewed then. The last thing most people now are going to do is change that pattern and not renew in the era of McDavid. You hear a lot of people make that exact comment. "I was a STH through all the bad years, how could I cancel now when McD is here"

McD is a licence for this org to do nothing. Because people will pay regardless if the team is any good.

Reactions: Aerrol and Yeah15

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Nah, as another poster mentioned its the same all the time. People were talking about not renewing way back in the 90's or before the cap, or after the cap, and the various times the team was bad. They renewed then. The last thing most people now are going to do is change that pattern and not renew in the era of McDavid. You hear a lot of people make that exact comment. "I was a STH through all the bad years, how could I cancel now when McD is here"

McD is a licence for this org to do nothing. Because people will pay regardless if the team is any good.

But there is 1 factor that is different from the 90s. Tickets were much more affordable then. STH could recover more cost by selling tickets or lose less money on games back when the team was at Rexall. For the cost of tickets now, you can afford many other types of entertainment.

STH in a way, are ticket brokers for the Oilers. Oilers sell at below FV to STH because it reduces their risk of not being able to sell all the tickets. When the cost and time required to sell tickets that STH don't want to use gets too high, people don't renew.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
But there is 1 factor that is different from the 90s. Tickets were much more affordable then. STH could recover more cost by selling tickets or lose less money on games back when the team was at Rexall. For the cost of tickets now, you can afford many other types of entertainment.

This has always been the case though. I've saved countless thousands of dollars towards retirement by limiting or ending my digging deep for any Ticketmaster variety tickets whether that be sports or entertainment.

I've found cheaper things to do that entertain just as much and also more physical activities.

As with many things in life certain pursuits just get habitual for people. Like smoking, they would rather fight than quit. In sports theres this strong notion that if you don't watch, or buy tickets you might miss something. You could have missed the last 2 decades of Oilers hockey and not missed much. Which would also equate to saving 100K.

Reactions: Tremor

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If you dont want your season tix--there is a long line behind of sheep who will willing give up their money for them

Says who?

It's great to insult people and all. But a couple posts up a STH just said the Oilers wouldn't reveal the length of the waiting list. How long is it?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, that's a ridiculous bit of formatting. I have to be dishonest and vote in order to see the poll results? That's the way the board was setup and needs to be changed. Anybody should be able to view the poll results.

I can see the poll results without voting. Interesting...

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I can see the poll results without voting. Interesting...

The Op was able to change it and adjust the poll subsequent to comments. I thought it was the board setup that way but apparently its a selected option. I never start any polls or threads here so I didn't know.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
According to a post shortly after the new toy opened guys on the wait list said it was a couple thousand deep

I would be shocked if the number of people on the waitlist were anywhere near the couple thousand mark these days.

The oilpatch still doesn't feel ready to accept that the bust is over. Maybe when times get good again the number of people on the waitlist will jump up.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
This has always been the case though. I've saved countless thousands of dollars towards retirement by limiting or ending my digging deep for any Ticketmaster variety tickets whether that be sports or entertainment.

I've found cheaper things to do that entertain just as much and also more physical activities.

As with many things in life certain pursuits just get habitual for people. Like smoking, they would rather fight than quit. In sports theres this strong notion that if you don't watch, or buy tickets you might miss something. You could have missed the last 2 decades of Oilers hockey and not missed much. Which would also equate to saving 100K.

You are missing my point. Yes, you could always find other things to do, even in Edmonton. But the cost of Oilers tickets have gone up significantly therefore it makes other things more attractive than they used to be. When tickets were cheap, you had less to lose holding on and hoping not to miss something. When tickets are expensive, it costs you more to hold on therefore people start to analyze whether it is still worth it.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Says who?

It's great to insult people and all. But a couple posts up a STH just said the Oilers wouldn't reveal the length of the waiting list. How long is it?

Not sure when it is released but sometime later this summer they update their waitlist and usually that begets a thread of responses (I was 1467 now I'm 945, etc) and the highest number is usually rounded up and we conclude that if PatrickO'Sullivan4Eva says he is 3279 then the list is about 3500.

It'll be telling how many guys claim to have huge jumps (and that might be the case due to new regulations Oilers introduced about waitlist and some dropped off) and how high it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->