Season Thoughts

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
I just wanted to lighten everyone up and say that we have had a tremendous season. At the beginning of the season, every sports analyst was saying that we were going to finish towards the bottom this season again. We started our first 3 games 0-1-2, scoring only 3 goals in 3 games. We let in a total of 9 goals in those 3 games. Needless to say, we rebounded and came out in October 3-2-3. All season long, we were able to rebound and stay in the hunt. We have been able to surprise a lot of teams. We were able to beat anaheim and san jose twice and split the kings games. That is a pretty good feat for an astounding california area. Even when we thought we were out of the hunt a few weeks ago, we were right back in it the other night. Of course the loss to Boston hurts, but you cannot deny that we went from a bottom feeder team for a couple years to an almost playoff contender.

An interesting fact here. We did not lose more than 3 games in a row until we lost that brutal game to the Jets (8-2), where we went on to lose 4 more games. We lost 6 of 7 games after with that Jets loss. Then we lost 4 in a row in February against hawks(twice), penguins, and senators. You could argue that is why we are where we are now.

Here's a few stats on the guys Tallon has traded away (since leaving FLA):

Tomas Fleischmann - 12 GP - 1 G, 4 A
Sean Bergenheim - 15 GP - 1 G, 0 A
Kris Versteeg - 118 GP - 23 G, 39 A
Stephen Weiss - 72 GP - 10 G, 15 A

I can add more to the list, but this is just what I've come up with for now. We haven't lost much, and with Pirri, Bjugstad, and Hayes, combined for 63 goals. I think next season will be very great to watch. We have the youth coming up, Matheson, Rau, Grimaldi, Howden, etc. Just keep your heads up because it IS a bright future. I've been a fan since I was born in 92'! Lets go panthers!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah sums it up well. Of course I wanted playoffs, but in the grand scheme of things we have improved a lot. Hopefully we can make the next step and get in the playoffs next season.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Im ok with this as long as the organization is not and comes out and say they are not.

For the first time since the 90's, the team is starting to build a winning culture, I want them to keep it up.

It hurts if we dont make it, it really does, and us as fans can get excited for next year for what will probably be a 30 point turn around this year.

I don't want to hear that from the organization. Im done with the "bright future", "we made strides," and other redundant BS. Please. Establish the winning culture, and establish it hard

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
No doubt we improved and that this was a really good seam development-wise. The way our chances pretty much went down the toilet vs. Boston hurt a lot though. Seriously looking forward to next season

manifestodestiny

Jan 8, 2010
I hate to rag on Ekblad, he was disappointing down the stretch. He went cold for the past ten games (until tonight) when we needed him the most.

Of course, he is beyond brilliant as an 18-year old rookie, but I wish he kept some of the scoring for now.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
While missing the playoffs will be/is disappointing, if you are upset about this season, your head needs a shake. You got everything you wanted outside of a playoff berth. Luongo showed he can still give you All Star caliber goaltending. Ekblad exceeded expectations, pretty much every young forward showed good-great progression and ownership showed it is willing to spend money. To top it off, tallon went out and got a much needed mentor for the young forwards that can actually contribute in the top 6.

There is a reason every hockey analyst that has spent 5 minutes watching this team over the past few months is saying the panthers are a team ready for the next step. This wasn't some post trade deadline run where the team won a bunch of games after selling off everyone to go from last to 11th. This was consistent good hockey that was carried by a bunch of guys who are still on their ELC. I was one of the most negative people at the beginning of the season, but right now, I can't wait for next October. Assuming nothing crazy happens with injuries, this team will be one of the top 4 teams in the Atlantic going into the season. Add a 1st line caliber winger to play with bjugstad and who knows how good this team could be.

I know I'm rambling, but there were times in the season when many here were saying that bjugstad, barkov, and huberdeau were disappointing. Bjugstad finished with 43 points, barkov is at 33 after that horrible start to the season coming off injury, and huberdeau is sitting on 51 points (and leading the team) after his slow start to the season.

I can't think of a single negative about the young guys right now outside of MAYBE gudbranson not developing an offensive game.

This may not be the ending to the year we wanted, but it's the best ending to the season this team has had since 96.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
While missing the playoffs will be/is disappointing, if you are upset about this season, your head needs a shake. You got everything you wanted outside of a playoff berth. Luongo showed he can still give you All Star caliber goaltending. Ekblad exceeded expectations, pretty much every young forward showed good-great progression and ownership showed it is willing to spend money. To top it off, tallon went out and got a much needed mentor for the young forwards that can actually contribute in the top 6.

There is a reason every hockey analyst that has spent 5 minutes watching this team over the past few months is saying the panthers are a team ready for the next step. This wasn't some post trade deadline run where the team won a bunch of games after selling off everyone to go from last to 11th. This was consistent good hockey that was carried by a bunch of guys who are still on their ELC. I was one of the most negative people at the beginning of the season, but right now, I can't wait for next October. Assuming nothing crazy happens with injuries, this team will be one of the top 4 teams in the Atlantic going into the season. Add a 1st line caliber winger to play with bjugstad and who knows how good this team could be.

I know I'm rambling, but there were times in the season when many here were saying that bjugstad, barkov, and huberdeau were disappointing. Bjugstad finished with 43 points, barkov is at 33 after that horrible start to the season coming off injury, and huberdeau is sitting on 51 points (and leading the team) after his slow start to the season.

I can't think of a single negative about the young guys right now outside of MAYBE gudbranson not developing an offensive game.

This may not be the ending to the year we wanted, but it's the best ending to the season this team has had since 96.

Agreed. Most of us knew that the playoffs were going to be tough this season, but just being where we are now has been a positive for us, and the experience for these youngsters has been invaluable. Of course you want to be in the McEichel sweeps if you arent a playoff team, but that losing culture takes its toll on these youngsters. By having this run for the postseason, it shows our youth what needs to be done in order to succeed, and it should only drive them to become even better in the offseason. Losing that losing, negative culture that has been around this team for years now is nearly just as important as making the playoffs.

One thing is for sure, this team is loaded. We have talent all over the ice, and seeing the success in SA, and the prospects being signed, only solidifies that. We have the makings of a team that can sustain a winning culture for a long period of time. When you look at this team now, and look how you can keep adding pieces to the team down the road, its a real positive sign. There is definitely a future here, and now its up to Tallon to take us over the top in the offseason. I truly believe that with the right acquisition over the summer to solidify our top six, we will be one of the top teams in the East next season. The players will be available to do so, and this offseason is going to determine the future of our Florida Panthers.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

I agree although it took me to come around much longer than most. My eyes were really opened to the progress once Jagr came on board and you can see how huberdeau and barkov have thrived since his arrival.

Good post.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm a bit disappointed that we're not going to make the playoffs because we got so close. However, overall, I am extremely satisfied with the progress we've made this season. From 66 to about probably 91-93 points is a massive improvement.

I knew we weren't going to be a cellar dweller this season as I saw the potential that this team has despite what the analysts who spend give minutes watching us say and predicted to finish 8th to 12th in the East and a bubble team. Exactly where we are.

I fully expect us to rise another 10+ points next season in the standings and possibly jump into the Top 3 in the Atlantic. We have the goaltending in Luongo, a stellar defense with a mixture of young kids and vets, and forwards of developing young kids who have great scoring potential. Sure. There are a few holes that still need to be plugged, but this is the first season we're ending where I definitely feel that we're on the right path to great things.

Jagr may not be so far off when he says this team can win the Cup in two seasons. Of course, Tallon has to make the right moves to do so while he may not do much this off-season and will let the kids develop as time goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad