Season Review 2014/15 vs 2015/16

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Seasons over. I thought I'd compare our record/stats from last year to this one. See if there were any improvements.

----------2014/15 vs 2015/16
Finished: 28th vs 29th
Wins: 24 vs 31
ROW: 19 vs 27
Record (against West): 9-30-11 vs 14-29-7
Record (against Pacific): 4-21-4 vs 9-15-5
Record (against Central): 5-14-2 vs 5-9-7
Record (against East): 15-14-3 vs 17-14-1
Powerplay: 17.7% vs 18.1%
Penalty Kill: 76.7% vs 80.1%
Goals for: 193 vs 199
Goals against: 276 vs 242
ES goals for: 131 vs 131
ES goals against: 197 vs 164
Shots GP: 28.4 vs 29.1
Shots against GP: 30 vs 31.1
Shot differential: -0.7 vs -2
Corsi (5v5): 48.1 % vs 48.8%
Faceoff: 48.2% vs 48.8%
Team SV% (all situations): 88.83 vs 90.52
Shooting %: 8.20 vs 8.35
Games lost to injury: 260 vs 367

So despite finishing one spot lower in the standings, the Oilers were better this year. Almost across the board. And that was in spite of losing an extra 100 games to injury this year. I don't have the stats for last season, but this year the team was 2nd in the league in terms of the "quality" of the players they lost to injury. Mostly on the backs of Nuge/McDavid/Klefbom missing such large chunks of the year.

The 8 extra wins in regulation/OT are certainly an encouraging sign. The vastly improved GA is certainly an encouraging sign. A large part of that due to goaltending being better this season, but also I think the team defense as a whole just improving under McLellan. Record vs our own division was much better, although still terrible. We still get owned by the central. We still would be a playoff team if we were in the Eastern conference :sarcasm:

The fact that the team didn't get any better at scoring goals is a real concern. The team really needs an offensive push from the back end to contribute to scoring. As a whole it was a pretty miserable year. Yet again. Which is upsetting/disappointing/heart breaking/aneurysm inducing.

But I guess there's some hope for optimism? Maybe? Chiarelli needs to really make some improvements to the roster in the summer.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I was expecting to be in the playoff race but miss the playoffs. Plus or minus 20th in the league.

We didn't get that and even with the insane amount of injuries I don't think we would have ended up as good as I hoped. Very hard to say tho.

Very unfortunate for Chiarelli because I don't think he got the info he needed to make a complete evaluation.

I don't have a clue if one top 4 guy like Harmonic would fix the back end enough until we develop our own guys or if a full fledged blow up is required.

I just pray Lowe and Mac T are not allowed one word of advice in the situation.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I was expecting to be in the playoff race but miss the playoffs. Plus or minus 20th in the league.

We didn't get that and even with the insane amount of injuries I don't think we would have ended up as good as I hoped. Very hard to say tho.

Very unfortunate for Chiarelli because I don't think he got the info he needed to make a complete evaluation.

I don't have a clue if one top 4 guy like Harmonic would fix the back end enough until we develop our own guys or if a full fledged blow up is required.

I just pray Lowe and Mac T are not allowed one word of advice in the situation.

The defense was never good enough to compete for a playoff spot. I was pretty confident in a bottom 10, likely bottom 5 finish. The team is worse than I expected. But not alll that much worse to be honest. Just too many rookie/AHL d-men playing too many minutes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really think if you cut those injuries in half to what a normal team would face, you could pretty reasonably add 10 points to our total.

The Rangers had 93 man games lost.

Connor McDavid, Oscar Klefbom, and Brandon Davidson alone accounted for 105.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Injuries definitely played a factor but the biggest mistake Chia made that kept us down in the standings was counting on Schultz being our top 4 offensive D that would run the PP. Replace Schultz with a Barrie or Vatanen and we will see solid improvement.

We still lack a #1D to rely on though. Without that we will never be a contender.

I also seriously wonder about Eberle's drive, and even Hall's. These 2 take too many shifts off. Maybe moving them for the D we need and bringing in solid, less skilled vets is what we need.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Aside from a handful of games (the recent Calgary loss as an example), I really thought the team looked a lot better.

McDavid kept this season interesting for me.

I'm really going to trust Chiarelli to have the biggest off-season in franchise history for us.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Baby steps. Anything was an improvement over last years tire fire.
That said, the key stat for me was injuries. We didn't have the team together all year, and that really hurt IMO.

I pegged them to finish 25th overall this year so expectations weren't overly inflated like some media pundits who had them a lock for the playoffs.

Next year I am confident Chia will have made the right moves and TMac wont put up with any **** and I think the team, if healthy, will respond with more improvement but still not in playoffs.

If we are snake bit by injuries again hire a ****ing witch doctor and remove the curse somehow.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Only reason to watch the Oilers is McDavid. Hardly anyone else impresses me tbh.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Another **** season. Looking forward to big changes this off season. Get rid of the losers on this team.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I love how the team improved in practically every single statistic from last season, yet finished slightly worse. That is SO Oilers it hurts.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I love how the team improved in practically every single statistic from last season, yet finished slightly worse. That is SO Oilers it hurts.

At least we acknowledge we finished slight worse.

HFLeafs are ecstatic with their performance. They're all saying how they finished last yet finished with more points than last year AND now they have Matthews and Stamkos in the waiting. Playoffs are almost a lock:laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This season I am sort of numb to because of all the injuries. Its not like we would have made playoffs with a semi healthy team, but we 100% would have been around 20th in league imo

Good sign that we improved a little in some departments with all the injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2