Season Post-Mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Man-o-Man....Benning must be feeling a little sick watching the Ducks do a number on Calgary....sorry fans, but the 'Flameouts' just aren't a very good hockey team....no way we should have bowed to them in six....exposed all kinds of holes on this team that have to be addressed.

He probably isn't watching.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Nobody who didn't watch and follow closely at the time hates Bure. Bure was my absolute favorite player but after all of that I just feel an uncomfortable ambivalence towards him. The jersey retiring was nice, but it shouldn't have happened.

The *planted* (by management) stories of Bure willing to hold out during the playoffs (that 1994 year) probably didn't help.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Look, if that's true, then Desjardins is coaching like a coward whose scared to disappoint his boss, in which case he's even worse, isn't he?

I dunno. I just don't see enough positives from Desjardins to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He's going to have to adjust radically next season. I just don't have any hope left for this group. I hated them last summer, tried to come around and see what they were doing and why they were doing it, and was cautiously optimistic right up until they re-signed Sbisa and Dorsett. Then the house of cards came down.

Pretty much how I feel.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I believe he interviewed for the Capitals job last summer.

I seem to recall him mentioning that he wanted to take a break from hockey and just support his daughter's career for a while. I think the Capitals had interest, but no interview took place (or at least, not that anyone knew about?).

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Let's face it. Vancouver was overwhelmed by the physicality/will of Calgary which clearly trumped any skill advantage that the Canucks may have had. Even a guy like Bennett showed a will that was absent from Vancouver. The only guy who was comparable in that category was Horvat. For whatever reason, the Canucks have developed a losing attitude - which is characterized by a lack of will to win. So, yeah, I agree.

This is a very simplistic and untrue narrative of why we lost.

It's not that we have skill, it's that we have very _little_ skill outside of maybe four-five guys (Sedins, Horvat, Edler, Tanev.)

In fact, in the first two games the Canucks were setting the tone physically. Once the refs started calling penalties on Vancouver, they backed off. I think the leaders (Sedins, Edler) don't like to be the guys that put their team in a hole if they make a decision to slash/check.

We all know Edler is physical. Remember last year after finishing his check and getting a suspension, it took him 6 months to have the confidence to start finishing checks again?

I don't know what the solution is, maybe just a whole army of bottom 6 shot blockers if we assume we're going to get at least 8 PK's a game ... then the rest of the team can just hit with impunity.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Let's face it. Vancouver was overwhelmed by the physicality/will of Calgary which clearly trumped any skill advantage that the Canucks may have had. Even a guy like Bennett showed a will that was absent from Vancouver. The only guy who was comparable in that category was Horvat. For whatever reason, the Canucks have developed a losing attitude - which is characterized by a lack of will to win. So, yeah, I agree.

Alternately, the canucks lost because they didn't play the guys who were winning their shifts, and instead played the guys who were getting killed. Usually if you willingly forfeit every advantage in favour of a disadvantageous situation you lose. They did this and lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad