Season Post-Mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Welp. That was something.

Big offseason for Jimbo ahead. Hopefully some tough ****ing questions get thrown his way. I know this team had no expectations this season, but to lose the way they did...unacceptable. This core has proven time and time again that they can't get it done. It's time for some REAL changes.

Thank Horvat for Horvat.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
Welp. That was something.

Big offseason for Jimbo ahead. Hopefully some tough ****ing questions get thrown his way. I know this team had no expectations this season, but to lose the way they did...unacceptable. This core has proven time and time again that they can't get it done. It's time for some REAL changes.

Thank Horvat for Horvat.
There's not much to be done this offseason. Unless he trades multiple players with NTCs, it'll be much of the same next year.

It's frustrating that we've wasted the tail-end of the Sedins' peak years as elite producers with terrible off-ice decisions.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
It's annoying as hell to see all these posters saying to blow it up now. Like what did you expect out of this core? There was a reason why some us wanted this team blown up last season and the season before that. It was clearly visible after the 2012 playoffs that this core was done. I'd honestly be suprised if we actually go with a rebuild. I still think this inept management will push for the playoffs next year.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
I can only imagine what a meltdown like tonight will do for the already high levels of fan apathy in this town. Tickets are about to get very affordable in this city.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
We need to fix our defense. I like our forward depth, but holy christ the D is just not good.

All in all it was a good season. I'm emotionally involved with the team again and I like our future.

Horvat is a ****ing beauty. :handclap:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Guantee nothing is done except deals that send us backwards.

Bye Lack, Kassian...so much for that rebuild?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
core needs to be jettisoned into outerspace, never to return.

Who I want gone, and gone yesterday:

Sbisa
Bieksa
Higgins

Who I am on the fence about:
Hamhuis
Matthias

Bo is our saviour basically. he is a beauty but we're gonna need more than that to actually do something in the playoffs. hopefully JB makes some big, big trades this off season going towards the draft.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
"This core is fine"
"Rebuild on the fly"
"Re-stock with 20-24 year old tweeners...erm players"
"Making the playoffs is our goal"

Can't wait for the nonsense our management will spew, take your pick!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I can only imagine what a meltdown like tonight will do for the already high levels of fan apathy in this town. Tickets are about to get very affordable in this city.

A couple of my family friends and friends are not renewing their season tickets. 6 years of failure, all in absolute soul crushing fashion.

Any momentum the owners have accomplished this year with the season they had and the marketed "change" is all but gone now. Fans are fickle, but knowledgeable, they know bandaid fixes won't help this teams fate.

I think I'm done for a while. Can't find any positives aside from Horvat to draw me in next year to commit the time to watching this product. The NHL reffing is perhaps the biggest reason why, but the team is absolutely soulless. What an absolute farce.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Not good enough on D. Goaltending too inconsistent. Buoyed by the Sedins and some slightly improved regular season depth (both from additions to the roster and from improvements over the Torts season).

Not a recipe for a contender by any means.
I don't exactly know how to rectify those problems, but it should be an interesting offseason. I'm not expecting the whole team to be gutted, but I want to see our deficiencies addressed either by drafting or by trades/FA signings/releasing clutter.

If nothing happens and Benning goes on and on about how Sbisa is big, fast, strong, has a good shot and plays a heavy game, I want the man gone. Or at least demote him to amateur scouting, where he seems to be happiest.

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
You guys are hilarious. Blow up what? Their are 9 NTC's on team from Gillis's time. The team wasn't even to supposed to be in play-offs this year. Year 1 into re-tool and you guys are ready to fire everybody :shakehead.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
GLASS HALF FULL

• Surprising return to 100+ point hockey.
  • Sedins clearly have hockey left in their legs still. After both looked to be regressing to ~50 point forwards it was nice to see.
  • Eddie Lack solidified himself as at least a 1B starter. If he stays, that's good, if he goes, better return.
  • Bo Horvat emerged not just as a quality pick but a potential steal. Got better and better as the season wore on. Seemed to be improving by leaps and bounds night by night.
  • Alexander Edler had a phenomenal bounce back season and anchored a bonafide (if unspectacular) #1 pairing.
  • Canucks played a four line game as promised, and seemed to be a more relaxed, more affable team, free of some of the rotten drama and taint that had dogged them the previous two seasons.
  • Some of the kids in the system, most particularly Cassels and McCann, look to be outperforming their draft position, and could give us some surprise systemic depth (albeit all at the same position).
  • Miller's spectacular collapse in game 6 could fuel urgency to retain Lack.

GLASS HALF EMPTY

• Goodwill squandered with a hilariously embarrassing playoff exit that would have been tough to script.
  • Willie Desjardins went from hero to goat faster than any head coach in franchise history with some confounding lineup decisions throughout the 6 game series.
  • Virtanen is an enigma that looks like anything from Scott Stevens reincarnated as a forward to 0 NHL games played bust depending on what day of the week it is.
  • The team continues to play powder soft hockey in the post season, conjuring the question of whether or not they actually DO need more meat and potatoes.
  • Lucas Sbisa has emerged as the most maligned and despised defenseman in franchise history since the era of Dana Murzyn, and not without reason.
  • Benning made a mix of moves, ranging from the decent to the bizarre. It makes for a rather tense offseason as we wait with bated breath to see if GM Heckle or GM Jeckle emerges.
  • Our high regular season finish will make for a less than completely inspired first round pick.
  • The Sedins still having gas raises the specter of yet another "competitive but not competitive enough" season of mediocrity. In today's NHL, you are rewarded for catastrophic losing, not scrapping for the playoffs every year.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You guys are hilarious. Blow up what? Their are 9 NTC's on team from Gillis's time. The team wasn't even to supposed to be in play-offs this year. Year 1 into re-tool and you guys are ready to fire everybody :shakehead.

A lot of people wanted to blow it up loooong before tonight:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad