Season player recap (my optimist post)

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
My (and hopefully your) Final Report Card...

Class is now over. Grades have been given. Team did not make the playoffs, so it's hard to be too generous here...

A+: none
A: none
A-: JOSI, JARNKROK
B+: WEBER
B: SMITH
B-: ELLIS, FISHER
C+: HORNQVIST, HUTTON, RINNE
C: CULLEN, EKHOLM, GAUSTAD, MAZANEC
C-: CLUNE, JONES, NYSTROM, SPALING
D+: BARTLEY, WILSON
D: BOURQUE
D-:none
F: STALBERG
INCOMPLETE: BECK, DELZOTTO, FORSBERG, MOSER, PISKULA, SISSONS, VANGUILDER

A few tough calls here. Giving an incomplete to Del Zotto, because I don't think we've really gotten to see his skill set on display. Probably had less than a minute of PP time in the games he played, and was a QB for the Ranger PP for a few seasons. Sissons gets incomplete because most of his ice time was not memorable. The game he did score, he looked like an exuberant 19 year old with a boatload of upside. Beck seems to have taken a step backwards, and years from now Simon Moser may be a great Preds trivia question that no one remembers.

I gave Josi the nod over Weber because I think he did an amazing job making Weber look passable in the defensive zone. Weber's no-look passes to nobody in an effort to avoid being hit were painful to watch game after game, but since everyone in Smashville cries "Norris," and has an opthamalogical blind spot in that area, I will just go on record as saying that Josi made me happier more times than Shea.

Jarnkrok is the big win here. Trading Legwand was tough for those who are Pred-loyalists, as we recall the outrage by some fans over losing Erat the previous year, but in both of these cases, addition by subtraction and the addition of young fresh talent like Forsberg and Jarnkrok make this a bright spot for the future.

The good news was Craig Smith. This can alternately be the bad news, when you can name four or five guys on the team that should, on paper, be > Smith. Is there room for further growth here? We hope so!

Ellis had a splendid year, despite the skepticism of the fan base, who deem him too small, want him to become a forward, and/or want him ridden out of town on a very small rail... by year's end he was confident with the puck, and provided a great secondary PP weapon from the point. He will blossom and be a solid NHLer for the next decade.

Fisher was pretty reliable, and will never dazzle, but when it's all put down on paper, the numbers show a guy who could and would deliver on any team, good or bad, but since he's planted some firm roots in Nashville, he'll remain a solid citizen, waiting for a better supporting cast.

Hornqvist had one of those A and D seasons all rolled into one. As Poile pointed out, one even strength goal over a 40 game stretch is EPIC FAIL. But, his season ending flourish was a bright spot during the trying times of falling short of the post season. Maybe next year :)

Hutton bore the brunt of a lot of Pred-loyalist hate when acquired, when first played and when Pekka went down. All he did to silence the critics was never quit. He made a good case for himself, delivering solid goaltending once management realized Mazanec was best served in Milwaukee.

Rinne was close to getting an incomplete, but his body of work was enough to know that this season was one he'd like to forget. Really look forward to a full year of a healthy Rinne, because the guy is "A" solid.

and then come the average, and below, and I'm just gonna say that when a team misses the playoffs, it's very hard to justify much more than passable or near-passable grades for players who deliver the mail and nothing more. Guys like Gaustad can say they had decent seasons, guys like Clune can be happy to have survived another year on an NHL paycheck, and guys like Bourque can wonder if they are really cut out to be NHL players, but guys like Stalberg should consider buying season ticket holders a nice steak dinner ;)

I will say, that in being as harsh as I have been on Seth Jones final grade, it's only because he was over-worked, over-used, set up to fail, and eventually lost a lot of his early season confidence on the way to a brutal -23 season (he can be consoled by the fact that Nystrom two-upped him at -25.) Jones is a major stud, and will be a tremendous defenseman for the Preds for a long time to come, but that being said, he really had a rough rookie campaign. (Conversely: see: Lindholm, Hampus.)

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Class is now over. Grades have been given. Team did not make the playoffs, so it's hard to be too generous here...

A few tough calls here. Giving an incomplete to Del Zotto, because I don't think we've really gotten to see his skill set on display. Probably had less than a minute of PP time in the games he played, and was a QB for the Ranger PP for a few seasons. Sissons gets incomplete because most of his ice time was not memorable. The game he did score, he looked like an exuberant 19 year old with a boatload of upside. Beck seems to have taken a step backwards, and years from now Simon Moser may be a great Preds trivia question that no one remembers.

I gave Josi the nod over Weber because I think he did an amazing job making Weber look passable in the defensive zone. Weber's no-look passes to nobody in an effort to avoid being hit were painful to watch game after game, but since everyone in Smashville cries "Norris," and has an opthamalogical blind spot in that area, I will just go on record as saying that Josi made me happier more times than Shea.

Jarnkrok is the big win here. Trading Legwand was tough for those who are Pred-loyalists, as we recall the outrage by some fans over losing Erat the previous year, but in both of these cases, addition by subtraction and the addition of young fresh talent like Forsberg and Jarnkrok make this a bright spot for the future.

The good news was Craig Smith. This can alternately be the bad news, when you can name four or five guys on the team that should, on paper, be > Smith. Is there room for further growth here? We hope so!

Ellis had a splendid year, despite the skepticism of the fan base, who deem him too small, want him to become a forward, and/or want him ridden out of town on a very small rail... by year's end he was confident with the puck, and provided a great secondary PP weapon from the point. He will blossom and be a solid NHLer for the next decade.

Fisher was pretty reliable, and will never dazzle, but when it's all put down on paper, the numbers show a guy who could and would deliver on any team, good or bad, but since he's planted some firm roots in Nashville, he'll remain a solid citizen, waiting for a better supporting cast.

Hornqvist had one of those A and D seasons all rolled into one. As Poile pointed out, one even strength goal over a 40 game stretch is EPIC FAIL. But, his season ending flourish was a bright spot during the trying times of falling short of the post season. Maybe next year :)

Hutton bore the brunt of a lot of Pred-loyalist hate when acquired, when first played and when Pekka went down. All he did to silence the critics was never quit. He made a good case for himself, delivering solid goaltending once management realized Mazanec was best served in Milwaukee.

Rinne was close to getting an incomplete, but his body of work was enough to know that this season was one he'd like to forget. Really look forward to a full year of a healthy Rinne, because the guy is "A" solid.

and then come the average, and below, and I'm just gonna say that when a team misses the playoffs, it's very hard to justify much more than passable or near-passable grades for players who deliver the mail and nothing more. Guys like Gaustad can say they had decent seasons, guys like Clune can be happy to have survived another year on an NHL paycheck, and guys like Bourque can wonder if they are really cut out to be NHL players, but guys like Stalberg should consider buying season ticket holders a nice steak dinner ;)

I will say, that in being as harsh as I have been on Seth Jones final grade, it's only because he was over-worked, over-used, set up to fail, and eventually lost a lot of his early season confidence on the way to a brutal -23 season (he can be consoled by the fact that Nystrom two-upped him at -25.) Jones is a major stud, and will be a tremendous defenseman for the Preds for a long time to come, but that being said, he really had a rough rookie campaign. (Conversely: see: Lindholm, Hampus.)

While everyone was busy tearing Smith and Webers game apart Wilson and Hornqvist were plain bad. Glad Poile pointed that out and people paid attention. I think people scanned over and flipped the bird when i posted about it months ago.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
While everyone was busy tearing Smith and Webers game apart Wilson and Hornqvist were plain bad. Glad Poile pointed that out and people paid attention. I think people scanned over and flipped the bird when i posted about it months ago.

No, Hornqvist was inconsistent.. Wilson was plain bad.

Hornqvist went on a late season tear that almost made him the leading goal scorer for the season... if he had spread them out a little more evenly nobody would be trashing him...

Wilson, on the other hand, had to get hot late just to crack double figures...

if Wilson scores what we expected(20) instead of 11, chances are we are in the playoffs

I will reiterate: Wilson, Cullen, Bourque, Stalberg all get an F. These four should have scored a minimum of 60 goals total(and realize thats only asking for 18 from one of those four, 12 from another, and 15 from the other two... not unreasonable at all), and instead they scored 38. That is the story of our season right there. You cant tell me that adding 22 goals randomly in our season wouldnt have given us another 5 or 6 points.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Hornqvist went on a late season tear that almost made him the leading goal scorer for the season... if he had spread them out a little more evenly nobody would be trashing him...

if Wilson scores what we expected(20) instead of 11, chances are we are in the playoffs

I will reiterate: Wilson, Cullen, Bourque, Stalberg all get an F. These four should have scored a minimum of 60 goals total(and realize thats only asking for 18 from one of those four, 12 from another, and 15 from the other two... not unreasonable at all), and instead they scored 38. That is the story of our season right there. You cant tell me that adding 22 goals randomly in our season wouldnt have given us another 5 or 6 points.

Its Trotz fault

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

Wilson had a few great games so why not label him "inconsistent" as well. 40 games without an even strength goal is long time to just be "inconsistent". They were both bad and are the main reason we out of the playoffs.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

You wrote so much to say so little. :shakehead

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Wilson had a few great games so why not label him "inconsistent" as well. 40 games without an even strength goal is long time to just be "inconsistent". They were both bad and are the main reason we out of the playoffs.

Since when does an even strength goal count more on the scoreboard than a PP goal? Wilson went 33 games without a goal of ANY kind...

Plus its just damn near ridiculous to say anyone who scored 22 goals on this team (when the team leader had 24) was somehow "bad"

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Since when does an even strength goal count more on the scoreboard than a PP goal? Wilson went 33 games without a goal of ANY kind...

Plus its just damn near ridiculous to say anyone who scored 22 goals on this team (when the team leader had 24) was somehow "bad"

Are you serious? Since when does not scoring even strength goals for 40 games get excused..

Last time i checked NHL teams don't depend on the power play to win games and they sure are not ok with a top line player only scoring then. Hockey is a 5v5 game.

He was bad for 40 games 5v5 which is unacceptable and if you understand the Preds scoring woes this year it reflects on his absense for half the year and Wilson. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Are you serious? Since when does not scoring even strength goals for 40 games get excused..

Last time i checked NHL teams don't depend on the power play to win games and they sure are not ok with a top line player only scoring then. Hockey is a 5v5 game.

He was bad for 40 games 5v5 which is unacceptable and if you understand the Preds scoring woes this year it reflects on his absense for half the year and Wilson. It's not rocket science.

Ok so if he had scored 40 goals this year, all on the PP, he would have been awful?

Riiiight.

that kind of tinkling is completely illogical

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think Cullen gets railed on too much around here. I think he's gotten a lot of guys going on this team during the season. Smith was struggling, they played together for a while and Smith finally got it going. Cullen moved to the PP and that was going well for a while as well. At the end of the season he played with Fisher and Hornqvist and they tore it up. At the same time, his numbers weren't that amazing but he had his spurts and I wish he would've stayed with Smith longer or he would've been put with Hornqvist and Fisher sooner. If he had I think that would've given us a nice boost up front.

I know Wilson and Bourque were disappoints but both came off of injuries last year and they didn't hit stride at all this year. Bourque seemed like he was back to himself late in the year and the switch to center did Wilson some good, if only he had linemates to compliment his game. We'll see if a new coach can bring out the best in Wilson. If not, we'll know it's him but I think a fresh start for him is going to do him a world of good. I also think he realized he didn't produce and it cost Trotz his job, maybe he's matured a little bit because of this as well.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think Cullen gets railed on too much around here. I think he's gotten a lot of guys going on this team during the season. Smith was struggling, they played together for a while and Smith finally got it going. Cullen moved to the PP and that was going well for a while as well. At the end of the season he played with Fisher and Hornqvist and they tore it up. At the same time, his numbers weren't that amazing but he had his spurts and I wish he would've stayed with Smith longer or he would've been put with Hornqvist and Fisher sooner. If he had I think that would've given us a nice boost up front.

I know Wilson and Bourque were disappoints but both came off of injuries last year and they didn't hit stride at all this year. Bourque seemed like he was back to himself late in the year and the switch to center did Wilson some good, if only he had linemates to compliment his game. We'll see if a new coach can bring out the best in Wilson. If not, we'll know it's him but I think a fresh start for him is going to do him a world of good. I also think he realized he didn't produce and it cost Trotz his job, maybe he's matured a little bit because of this as well.

sorry glenn, but by the exact same logic you and I are in agreement on about Horns… Cullen had TEN goals… and earned 3.5 million dollars

we complain about Nystroms contract but he got 15 goals for a million less dollars…

for 3.5 million for a forward you have to expect at least 15 goals… minimum…

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just for me Nystrom did ok, the -25 is probably the only thing keeping me from saying he had a solid season.

Smith did what we needed him to do, which was to break that 20+ goal number.

Cullen may not have been great, but it wasn't horrible. Not what we had hoped but not exactly Stalberg either.

Wilson didn't get it done. I can't help but feel he still can go up, but why he hasn't is beyond me. He at least looks much more at home at center. I think you give him a year there to see what happens.

Horns was good and bad. Yeah his end stats don't look too bad, but it didn't feel like that good of a year for him for 90% of the season.

I think Gaustad gets way too much flak, even has from me in the past. He does what he is asked to do and does it pretty well. Yeah he is no world beater but thats not why he is here.

Stalberg, I was shocked that his stats were even that good tbh. I had hope for the guy, but pretty much believe at this point his previous good seasons were due to who he played with.

Outside of Borque, most of the guys did what we expected them to do, not what wanted but for the most part what we expected.

The defense is what it always is, the back bone of this team. I'm not gonna give any of them a bad grade, not evenly Bartley. I'm not sure what you can expect from a guy that sits on the bench for large amounts of time and then finally get to play one day here or there.

Goaltending lets just call it mediocre at best. It doesn't really matter how much Hutton improved, if Rinne doesn't get back in form this team isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
N
Wilson is Radulov with half the skill right now. He's got to mature if he has a chance in the NHL.

No team is going to have everyone meet expectations. No Team. If anyone is counting on every player to meet expectations just to make the playoffs (including Poile) they are going to be sorely disappointed every single year.

Cullen is fine, but he's a 37 yr old who was never a scorer. A tweener on the decline. Staalberg is a scratch on a good team. Putting faith in those types of guys to get us to competitive is naive and recipe for the last 2 yrs of Predator hockey.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Yeah he is a hater. LA fan posing as a Preds fan. He is a little pissed, Weber is better than Doughty.

Hey, I spent about 10 grand on the Preds this year... that entitles me to call myself a fan. AND, I'm far from pissed. I get to go watch Doughty in the playoffs... I personally believe that from top to bottom Doughty is a stronger force than Weber. Weber CLEARLY has the better "shot" and has a team that revolves its offense around him. Doughty is a Stanley Cup winner (and that same Olympic team) who stabilizes a defense that helped with the JENNINGS TROPHY. It's not just Quick, just as it's not just Rinne...

You can hate on me all you want, but I'm a Preds fan (maybe second, but I can't help that I live here now, and not there... it's actually a nicer city by MILES.)

And I think I said more than "a little" ... your mileage may vary.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hey, I spent about 10 grand on the Preds this year... that entitles me to call myself a fan. AND, I'm far from pissed. I get to go watch Doughty in the playoffs... I personally believe that from top to bottom Doughty is a stronger force than Weber. Weber CLEARLY has the better "shot" and has a team that revolves its offense around him. Doughty is a Stanley Cup winner (and that same Olympic team) who stabilizes a defense that helped with the JENNINGS TROPHY. It's not just Quick, just as it's not just Rinne...

You can hate on me all you want, but I'm a Preds fan (maybe second, but I can't help that I live here now, and not there... it's actually a nicer city by MILES.)

And I think I said more than "a little" ... your mileage may vary.

Then you've lost your mind. The only reason he is even spoken in the same breath as Weber is because of the team he plays on. Dude is good, no doubt, but you put him on a team with Weber and he's nothing more than Suter was #2.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
sorry glenn, but by the exact same logic you and I are in agreement on about Horns… Cullen had TEN goals… and earned 3.5 million dollars

we complain about Nystroms contract but he got 15 goals for a million less dollars…

for 3.5 million for a forward you have to expect at least 15 goals… minimum…

Gonna use some interesting logic here for you. Backstrom makes about twice as much as Cullen. He had 18 goals and 61 assists. Cullen had 10 and 29. If you look at production versus salary, they are comparable in many ways if you want to use that as your basis. Gaustad for about the same money as Cullen had 10 and 11 assists. He was a little better in the dot but other than that, did he bring much more to the table? It's not just about goals but assists as well.

When Cullen was finally put with linemates that he worked well with and they worked well with him, they tore it up. Was that on Cullen or Trotz or a little of both? Once again, timing is everything. Maybe they knew the season was over and they were relaxed.

You always say it's not our money so what should we care?

Nystrom did have 15 but had 6 assists and a -25. Cullen was a +4. That's a 29 goal differential there. I don't advocate that plus minus is the be all stat but that's almost 30 goals difference. Something to be said for that as well.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Ok so if he had scored 40 goals this year, all on the PP, he would have been awful?

Riiiight.

that kind of tinkling is completely illogical

No it's not illogical. Obviously a real NHL GM agrees with what i was saying months ago. You're clearly drawing at straws and it's weak.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
No it's not illogical. Obviously a real NHL GM agrees with what i was saying months ago. You're clearly drawing at straws and it's weak.

no, whats weak is you trying to equate Hornqvists 22 goals with Wilsons 11. Poile didnt do that, even if he did mention Hornqvist by name

how exactly would it have changed our season if half of Hornqvists PP goals were scored at ES?? You cannot assume that someone besides Hornqvist would have still scored on the PP in his place...

do I think Hornqvist needs to score at ES? of course... that would be helpful... but we need Wilson to score, somehow, someway, any time..

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
no, whats weak is you trying to equate Hornqvists 22 goals with Wilsons 11. Poile didnt do that, even if he did mention Hornqvist by name

how exactly would it have changed our season if half of Hornqvists PP goals were scored at ES?? You cannot assume that someone besides Hornqvist would have still scored on the PP in his place...

do I think Hornqvist needs to score at ES? of course... that would be helpful... but we need Wilson to score, somehow, someway, any time..

Well that's simple the team would have been a lot better instead of sucking arse 5v5. Maybe they would have won more games or been more fun to watch. Hornqvist had 13 goals and 22 assists before March 21. 7 or those were on the PP. So from October 3 to March 21 your top line forward getting top team mintutes scored 6 even strength goals. So that's ok with you? That had nothing to do with the team missing the playoffs? I think Hornqvist and and Poile on tape disagree. See exit interview and presser. Roll that footage!

Funny he picked up all those numbers when it came to playing teams that where in the playoffs and mailed it in. What did he do when it mattered against Dallas on April 8th 0g 0a 3sh 20:36tio.

I like Hornqvist but he didn't get it done until the end. We need him the entire year not when other teams are a man down and he can benefit from Webers shots bouncing off of him or after it doesn't matter and the opposition is playinf with AHL players ane trying not to get hurt.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well that's simple the team would have been a lot better instead of sucking arse 5v5. Maybe they would have won more games or been more fun to watch. Hornqvist had 13 goals and 22 assists before March 21. 7 or those were on the PP. So from October 3 to March 21 your top line forward getting top team mintutes scored 6 even strength goals. So that's ok with you? That had nothing to do with the team missing the playoffs? I think Hornqvist and and Poile on tape disagree. See exit interview and presser. Roll that footage!

Funny he picked up all those numbers when it came to playing teams that where in the playoffs and mailed it in. What did he do when it mattered against Dallas on April 8th 0g 0a 3sh 20:36tio.

I like Hornqvist but he didn't get it done until the end. We need him the entire year not when other teams are a man down and he can benefit from Webers shots bouncing off of him or after it doesn't matter and the opposition is playinf with AHL players ane trying not to get hurt.

youre not getting my point... I have also said we need more consistency from hornqvist... I am not making the argument that he was "fine"... what I am disagreeing with is anyone who equates Hornqvists performance this season with Wilsons... Wilson was horribad, everyhere, for most of the season, and he too put up numbers late once the season was effectively lost

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The stat of the year:

Second highest goals allowed total in a single season by Nashville in franchise history. The highest... was 15 years ago, in 1998-99.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Then you've lost your mind. The only reason he is even spoken in the same breath as Weber is because of the team he plays on. Dude is good, no doubt, but you put him on a team with Weber and he's nothing more than Suter was #2.

One might argue that prior to Doughty, that was not such a good team :) Honestly, he controls the game when on the ice... Weber, not so much (in his own zone.)

But let's not pi55 in each other's Cheerios. We obviously are not going to agree on this one, and we're both entitled to our opinions. :D

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think the simple question between Weber and Doughty would be who would you rather build a team around? I also think it would come down to Weber and Pieterangelo before Doughty to be perfectly honest. Love Doughty though. He is quite the player.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The Norris is not a career trophy, like the Heisman. (Or, at least, it shouldn't be, in either case.)

Doughty is about the only d-man I see that you could justify saying, "the Kings would not be in the playoffs if he wasn't there." The Hawks would have been without Keith, and obviously the Preds and Sens didn't make the playoffs, even with Webs and Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00