Post-Game Talk: Season Over | Get the Golf Balls out

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Tough to call JVR soft or defensively challenged.

He borders on soft quite frequently.

He definitely isnt your prototypical power forward.

Soft might be a little stretch but he certainly isnt that physical for a guy his size.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Just a question for the huddled masses. How many of us actually thought Kulemin was going to score when he was all by himself with the puck in front of Howard? I'll start: not bloody likely.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Just a question for the huddled masses. How many of us actually thought Kulemin was going to score when he was all by himself with the puck in front of Howard? I'll start: not bloody likely.

I wan excited at first and then remembered that we're not allowed to have nice things.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Kessel - Burke
JVR - Burke
Bozak - Burke
Kadri - Burke
Lupul - Burke

Burke was so full of it when he said he wanted to build from the net out. I think he acquired one passable defenseman through trade, Phaneuf and one failure in Franson.

He never acquired a Goalie to start, Reimer was already here, Bernier Nonis did that.

The rest of his trades were for forwards, and it's obvious now that in this NHL you need more than the forwards that we have to win anything.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Off to bed, better hope when I wake up Carlyle is fired.

Such, and I mean SUCH a disappointment. Coasting to the playoffs, heck even a home advantage in the first round and they piss it away.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Then you must be lost because here you are.

No i truly feel everyone's pain.
my old man (GRHS) grew us up Leafs fans.
my favorite player was Paul Henderson back then.
This was pre Summit Series.
We were one of the only families who weren't Habs fans,
took a ton of ribbing over those years.
i just got Fed Up with Harrold it was such a joke on so many levels.
i finally snapped when the Habs won in 87.
so my second cup was in 93.

thats why i couldn't help replying to someone's cry for a franchise. :help:

Oct 18, 2010
I've been on the forwards softness, lack of neutral zone play, and forecheck since last season. It just puts more pressure on the defense. It's glaring when you watch actual good teams play. I scoffed when people were saying the forwards were solidified... and also when they called Franson and Gardiner the best defensemen on the team... :shakehead

I also think the style of play works against Clarkson, but he was awful this year. I've defended Carlyle before but the lack of any sort of development from the team over the season is unacceptable. It's understandable when you go game to game in a 48 game season, but not anymore.

The defensemen on this team have the toughest job in the league. Florida plays better defensively than this team.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
No i truly feel everyone's pain.
my old man (GRHS) grew us up Leafs fans.
my favorite player was Paul Henderson back then.
This was pre Summit Series.
We were one of the only families who weren't Habs fans,
took a ton of ribbing over those years.
i just got Fed Up with Harrold it was such a joke on so many levels.
i finally snapped when the Habs won in 87.
so my second cup was in 93.

thats why i couldn't help replying to someone's cry for a franchise. :help:

Well thanks for letting us know that life is better being a Habs fan. That is what we really,really need to hear right now.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've been on the forwards softness, lack of neutral zone play, and forecheck since last season. It just puts more pressure on the defense. It's glaring when you watch actual good teams play. I scoffed when people were saying the forwards were solidified... and also when they called Franson and Gardiner the best defensemen on the team... :shakehead

I also think the style of play works against Clarkson, but he was awful this year. I've defended Carlyle before but the lack of any sort of development from the team over the season is unacceptable. It's understandable when you go game to game in a 48 game season, but not anymore.

The defensemen on this team have the toughest job in the league. Florida plays better defensively than this team.

The forwards offer minimal backpressure.
Dont win many board battles in the defensive zone/neutral zone.
Dont manage the puck well and are easily stripped.
Give you almost no constant offensive zone time.
Cycle game is basically non existant.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Feels like no matter how minor the mistake is that the Leafs do, such as a poor pass, they get burned. Last night and tonight. Small mistakes that turn into a goal for the opposition.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He borders on soft quite frequently.

He definitely isnt your prototypical power forward .

Soft might be a little stretch but he certainly isnt that physical for a guy his size.
He doesn't play soft very often at all. He isn't an intimidating guy, but he's a big body who uses his size and has no problems going to the dirty areas.

He had some good battles with Chara last year on the playoffs and has no problems taking a hit to make a play

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kessel
JVR
Bozak
Raymond
Kadri
Lupul

All either "soft" or "defensively challenged".

I applaud you for mentioning Bozak there:handclap:.

He doesn't backcheck hard enough, rather skates back sluggishly with his stick on his hips half the time looking like he's out of gas yet he has the prestige of being solid defensively in all 3 zones.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He doesn't play soft very often at all. He isn't an intimidating guy, but he's a big body who uses his size and has no problems going to the dirty areas.

He had some good battles with Chara last year on the playoffs and has no problems taking a hit to make a play

I can bend a little on JVR.
He isnt as soft as the others (Kessel, Raymond, Bozak) but he certainly isnt overly physical for someone his size and doesnt bring certain other aspects to the game other players his size do.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kadri in full "controller disconnected" style tonight.

Lupul...don't get me started.

If the rumors are true that one of Kadri/Gardiner will be used to help somehow in the defensive side of the game. Gardiner is making his case of why he should stay, even with Jake-Mistakes, since the Olympic break he's really started to catch fire.

lovecat

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto,ON
insanity doing the same thiing over and over,
We already changed the coach.
Why is everyone screaming for Randy Carlyle the problem is we need to switch up the players/core/defense.

Well I am on Tampa Bay bandwagon now, Need to start developing a passion for a new team.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
The forwards offer minimal backpressure.
Dont win many board battles in the defensive zone/neutral zone.
Dont manage the puck well and are easily stripped.
Give you almost no constant offensive zone time.
Cycle game is basically non existant.

You are absolutely right.I agree on every statement. There is no coordination between the forwards and the defencemen. The d fails to hit the breaking forwards who fail to come back to help the d as if they are miffed about not getting a lead pass on the last shift.There is something wrong with this team...they were much more together during most of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad