season outlook for Slovak players & prospects

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not counting Marian Hossa, Slovakia has 16 players currently signed to NHL contracts. I'm curious what thoughts the respective fan bases have on these players, and what the expectations are for this season and the future?

Forwards:

Richard Panik (Arizona)
Peter Cehlarik (Boston)
Martin Bakos (Boston)
Tomas Tatar (Montreal)
Marian Studenic (New Jersey)
Marian Gaborik (Ottawa)
Marko Dano (Winnipeg)

Defensemen:
Zdeno Chara (Boston)
Andrej Sekera (Edmonton)
Christian Jaros (Ottawa)
Erik Cernak (Tampa Bay)
Martin Marincin (Toronto)
Martin Fehervary (Washington)

Goaltenders:
Jaroslav Halak (Boston)
Patrik Rybar (Detroit)
Peter Budaj (Los Angeles)

* forward Tomas Jurco is a free agent
* defenseman Michal Cajovsky is attending the Carolina Hurricanes camp on a PTO
* forward Radovan Bondra is taking part in the Blackhakws camp and has an AHL contract with Rockford.
* defenseman Michal Ivan is attending the LA Kings camp.
* defenseman Martin Bodak attended Vegas rookie camp. I suspect he will join the Chicago Wolves training camp.

Recent draft picks playing in juniors/college:
F - Martin Pospisil (Calgary)
F - Milos Roman (Calgary)
F - Adam Ruzicka (Calgary)
G - Roman Durny (Anaheim)
G - David Hrenak (Los Angeles)
G - Adam Huska (NY Rangers)
G - Matej Tomek (Philadelphia)

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson and NyQuil

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

In China Saturday, game will be televised.
Chara is home in Boston. They have split squads because of the China games. He just was tested in the annually Wide grip pull up contest with only 16 pull ups. He usually wins this. BUUUUUT he did 16 while wearing 62 lbs of weights added to his 6/9" frame, which is ridiculous. Guy is a work out beast.

Boston Bruins✔@NHLBruins
#NHLBruins practice lines:

Marchand - Studnicka - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - JFK/Cave - Donato
Cehlarik - Frederic/Szwarz - Backes
Nordstrom - Wagner - Bakos

Moore - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Miller
Zboril/Vaakanainen - Carlo

Tuukka Rask
Jaroslav Halak

#NHLChinaGames
1:16 AM - Sep 14, 2018 · Guangdong, People's Republic of China

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I can see Tatar scoring close to 30 with all the ice time he's gonna get in Montreal this year. It's basically him, Drouin, Gallagher and Domi up front.

He'll get a lot of PP opportunities.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I like Cernak’s potential, he was a defensive monster as an Ahl rookie last year. Looks to replace dan Girardi starting in 19-20 season.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I like Cernak’s potential, he was a defensive monster as an Ahl rookie last year. Looks to replace dan Girardi starting in 19-20 season.

I suppose he'll make his NHL debute this season? Barring injuries, do you think he can see a notable amount of games in the big league, or are others ahead of him on the call-up list?

Last edited:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

In China Saturday, game will be televised.
Chara is home in Boston. They have split squads because of the China games. He just was tested in the annually Chin up contest with only 16 pull ups. He usually wins this. BUUUUUT he did 16 while wearing 62 lbs of weights added to his 6/9" frame, which is ridiculous. Guy is a work out beast.

Boston Bruins✔@NHLBruins
#NHLBruins practice lines:

Marchand - Studnicka - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - JFK/Cave - Donato
Cehlarik - Frederic/Szwarz - Backes
Nordstrom - Wagner - Bakos

Moore - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Miller
Zboril/Vaakanainen - Carlo

Tuukka Rask
Jaroslav Halak

#NHLChinaGames
1:16 AM - Sep 14, 2018 · Guangdong, People's Republic of China

Pull ups or chin ups, which one?

either way thats impressive as hell!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jaros may end up with more icetime than he probably bargained for, depending on what happens this season.

One injury to our existing defence and he could be right in.

As it stands, we have:
-Thomas Chabot
-Cody Ceci
-Dylan DeMelo
-Mark Borowiecki
-Chris Wideman
-Ben Harpur

I could also see him being brought in for Ben Harpur if he struggles.

I caught Jaros at the rookie tournament and he played very well. Scored a goal and was very decisive with good decision-making and some solid physical play.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Kinda sad to see the state of Slovakian Hockey. They used to be scary to play against on the international scene.

At least, Slovakia arguably has the hottest women, out of every Country represented in the NHL.

Reactions: Faterson and kudla

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I suppose he'll make his NHL debute this season? Barring injuries, do you think he can see a notable amount of games in the big league, or are others ahead of him on the call-up list?
Him Foote and Dominik Masin would be our call ups but we have 7 NHL guys set (Hedman Sergachev McDonagh Stralman Coburn Girardi Koekkoek)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I liked Ivan's game. Kid's got potential for sure. But he won't be in the NHL this year, probably not next either. The brain is there though.

Reactions: Faterson

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It'll probably depend on handedness. As a RHD he has the inside track since we only have Stralman and Girardi as RH shots on the roster (Sergachev can play either side but is a lefty). He'd *likely* be the first RH call up if it's needed. If for some reason we end up burning through lefties (Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn, Sergachev, and Koekkoek will be the 7th D), it will likely be Dominik Masin.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Pull ups or chin ups, which one?

either way thats impressive as hell!
Sorry I typed that in wrong. Wide grip pull ups, I would say that is harder then chin ups. Chara doing 16 with his frame and weighed down by an extra 62 lbs puts him at over 300 lbs.

The game in China Saturday between Boston and Calgary will be a record for the NHL
CCTV-5 which is the ESPN of China expects an audience of 60-75 million viewers, which would make it the most-watched NHL Game ever.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Jaros may end up with more icetime than he probably bargained for, depending on what happens this season.

One injury to our existing defence and he could be right in.

As it stands, we have:
-Thomas Chabot
-Cody Ceci
-Dylan DeMelo
-Mark Borowiecki
-Chris Wideman
-Ben Harpur

I could also see him being brought in for Ben Harpur if he struggles.

I caught Jaros at the rookie tournament and he played very well. Scored a goal and was very decisive with good decision-making and some solid physical play.

That's encouraging. I liked Jaros when he played in Luleå (a 40 minute car drive from where I live). He can throw huge hits. Plays like Sbisa in some ways, but hopefully turns out to have better hockey IQ for the highest leveL.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Kinda sad to see the state of Slovakian Hockey. They used to be scary to play against on the international scene.

Indeed. Likely they'll never get back to their glory days, but I think at least now the worst years are behind them. We finally see a few prospects come out of Slovakia again.

They had 5 players drafted this summer (more than any country outside the big 6) and Adam Liska, Michal Ivan and Martin Bodak probably were close getting picked. Liska is having a good start in the KHL this season and I think maybe Ivan and/or Bodak could end up playing in the AHL this season.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Unfortunately our hockey program has taken a spiral down in the past couple years, while on the other hand our football program is emerging as a talent producer for large clubs all over Europe.
As you can see we really struggled to produce players who should be in their prime now (age 24,25-30). Best player is probably Tatar or chara.
Prospects look promising, but us slovaks are notorious for finishing well short in pre conceived expectations.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Just finished watching the China game and Cehlarik looked very good. He had two assists with one of them being quite neat. I hope he can catch a break and stay healthy this season. Halak was great in net too, and Bakos was decent and got an assist.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Tampa cut 27 players from camp today. Ottawa cut 23. New Jersey cut 17.

Nice work by Erik Cernak, Christian Jaros and Marian Studenic to survive this butchering and remain in respective camp. PTO Michal Cajkovsky is still with the Canes as well which is interesting.

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad