Celtics/NBA Playoffs: Round 2 - Game 7 Friday 9 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Isiah Thomas on Michael Jordan: ‘That wasn’t my competition’ in 80s

Great take by Thomas here, and I have to agree. While this isn't going to be a popular opinion, Jordan is tremendously overrated and never won anything until Bird/Magic got old. While I respect him as being probably the greatest individual player of all time, I think he sucked as a teammate and didn't make anyone around him better inside their own game. He may have helped them win because of his own greatness, but there's a difference between making your teammates better and dragging them to a title like Jordan did.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
After reading these stats from CBS Sports I'm starting to think the Celtics have a chance.

The 2019-20 Boston Celtics are not only fifth in offense and fourth in defense, according to Cleaning The Glass, they rank second offensively against top-10 defenses and first defensively against top-10 offenses. Translation: They haven't just bullied bad teams; they've beaten up the league's best.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
After reading these stats from CBS Sports I'm starting to think the Celtics have a chance.

The 2019-20 Boston Celtics are not only fifth in offense and fourth in defense, according to Cleaning The Glass, they rank second offensively against top-10 defenses and first defensively against top-10 offenses. Translation: They haven't just bullied bad teams; they've beaten up the league's best.
Celtics have always had a chance this season.

I hope to hell they come back and win the entire thing just like the Bruins.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Celtics have always had a chance this season.

Well sure - but I like their chances a lot more after seeing a stat like that. :thumbu:

Reactions: Alicat

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

With the 2020 version of Jayson Tatum, this team is a legit contender. You cannot win with Kemba Walker being your best player, that's why we needed Tatum to raise his game to the next level...and it seems like he has.

In other news, there are some rumors about NBA going with a group stage (5 groups and 20 teams) instead of the 1st round. That's an intriguing scenario. I wish they would adopt this going forward in the future. The 1st round in the NBA is typically a snoozefest (especially compared to the brutal 1st round of the NHL). It's so lopsided that you rarely see more than 4-5 games for like half of the match-ups. If there was a group stage (with 4-5 teams), you'd definitely get to see 6-8 games and each of them would matter.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This year's Basketball HOF Induction ceremony has been postponed until next year.

from espn.com:

Count the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as the latest institution to have its best-laid plans felled by the coronavirus.

Jerry Colangelo, the chairman of the board of the governors for the Hall, told ESPN on Wednesday that enshrinement ceremonies for the Class of 2020, one of the most star-studded lineups ever that includes Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant, will be moved to spring of 2021.

Colangelo said the original dates of enshrinement weekend, Aug. 28-30, and the proposed alternate dates of Oct. 10-12, are "just not feasible" in light of the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 100,000 in the U.S. and has rendered large gatherings taboo. The board of governors will convene on June 10, he said, to explore spring dates.

"We're definitely canceling," Colangelo said. "It's going to have to be the first quarter of next year. We'll meet in a couple of weeks and look at the options of how and when and where."

Full story: Basketball Hall pushing enshrinement to 2021

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
This 1976 Celtics/ Suns replay is awesome.
- announcers Musburger in a suit and Rick Barry in denim shirt open to his waist with a 6" gold cross hanging across his chest
- they use the same folding tables and chairs that my kid's elementary school uses for the benches and sideline scoring tables
- Coach Tommy Heinson in pinkish sport coat drawing up timeout plays on yellow legal pad
- no lines on the court. free throw line and paint area, that's it

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I do get tired of people making up sports history. Jordan and Pippen blackballed Isiah from the Dream Team? Here's what really happened. 1. Isiah was roughly the 8th best PG by 91 and Magic and Stockton were much better.

2. A member of the Selection Committee admitted in the Dream Team documentary that they were working on their list during the 1991 Eastern Conference playoffs when the childish, immature Isiah lead the Pistons off the court before the end of the game where the Bulls eliminated the Pistons from the playoffs. They all agreed we can't have this clown representing the USA in the biggest event in Olympic history. This was before Jordan was invited and he was the last NBA player to accept (except for 12th invite Drexler), because he wanted to see what other NBA players would accept. People also forget Isiah was just as bad a Knicks executive as Phil Jackson and lost a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a Knicks employee.

No knowledgeable basketball fan associates or blames Jordan or Pippen for Isiah not being on the Dream Team at all.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Prediction for the NBA playoffs: All the teams assemble and are ready to begin play, then Kyrie Irving walks in the room and starts coughing and everything gets cancelled.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I do get tired of people making up sports history. Jordan and Pippen blackballed Isiah from the Dream Team? Here's what really happened. 1. Isiah was roughly the 8th best PG by 91 and Magic and Stockton were much better.

2. A member of the Selection Committee admitted in the Dream Team documentary that they were working on their list during the 1991 Eastern Conference playoffs when the childish, immature Isiah lead the Pistons off the court before the end of the game where the Bulls eliminated the Pistons from the playoffs. They all agreed we can't have this clown representing the USA in the biggest event in Olympic history. This was before Jordan was invited and he was the last NBA player to accept (except for 12th invite Drexler), because he wanted to see what other NBA players would accept. People also forget Isiah was just as bad a Knicks executive as Phil Jackson and lost a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a Knicks employee.

No knowledgeable basketball fan associates or blames Jordan or Pippen for Isiah not being on the Dream Team at all.

Isaiah was still very good but the dude was great because he was basically a coach on the floor.

I mean the dudes reputation as a leader was so strong he didn't even have to earn getting the keys to the Raptors and Knicks as a coach. He coached the Pacers after Bird and wasn't as good.

The Dream team didn't need their PG to be the coach.

He might have been better than Magic as a PG. Had a 14 assist season then won back to back titles in 89 and 90 with worse teams than Magic had. But he couldn't play 5 positions. You can make the arguments for Johnson you can make for Ruth ie great pitcher and batter.

His comments are spot on he had a 8-9 year run in the 80s where the Bulls were an absolute afterthought even with Jordan and not his rivals.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
GREAT IDEA for teams to ship their own courts to Orlando. 10/10 on that one I don't wanna watch NBA on the Wide World Of Sports court.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NBA Returns 7/31 NBA Board of Governors ratifies 22 team proposal to conclude season suspension in Orlando; now just waiting for NBAPA, AND CP 3 to ratify said proposal...

14 team west and 9 team east... with the remaining 8 GONZO

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it's unclear whether Tacko Fall or Tremaine Waters will be eligible to play in Orlando.... per the two way contract limitations and the cancellation after the suspension of the G-League season

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Don’t blame the players here for getting cold feet on all the rules in Orlando. Can’t leave the compound. 7 weeks of meaningless stuff before the first round of the playoffs which is meaningless too.

Should have just started with the playoffs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Don’t blame the players here for getting cold feet on all the rules in Orlando. Can’t leave the compound. 7 weeks of meaningless stuff before the first round of the playoffs which is meaningless too.

Should have just started with the playoffs.
OR the fait majeure, Brad.... no CHAMPION Declared.....much like minor league hockey and the NBA G League first suspending, then later cancelling to focus on 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad