GDT: SEASON FINALE | Leafs @ Devils | 7PM CBC | It All Comes Down To This! (Leo is Back!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
qdEoRI7.png

Here we are! Game #82!. It's oddly not on home ice, however, that's not exactly a terrible thing. This year the Leafs have won just 15 of 40 road games. Got a loser point in just 2. That puts the odds in our favor.

Now, As we head into the final game of the season, and possible the final game needed from Tank Nation (wow... it's been a ride) we should look back, at the year that changed everything.

So the Maple Leafs signed a guy named Mike Babcock. Safe to say we all went nuts. After months of being told he wouldn't come here because "the Leafs suck", it was nice to see the greatest coach in the game today saw potential in our franchise.

This was the first real shift of the franchise. It was a deal that had to be made. Shanahan and Dubas tore the bandaid off. Some fans didn't like it, some understood it, and it seems all of Leafs Nation is happy with it, 10 months later.

You know, as a guy who has seen plenty of Mitch Marner over the past 3 seasons, I can honestly say at the time the pick was made on the draft floor, I was stoked.

Tank Commander Cor said:
****ing nice eh

Heh, if only the Leafs listened to me about Christian Dvorak.... maybe they will about Cliff Pu. But nonetheless, Mitch Marner was a fantastic prize for what that season was, which uh, was just plain horrible. Sure, Connor McDavid was the dream, however I don't think anyone is upset we have Mitch Marner likely joining the team next season.

Indeed it was James. Indeed it was.

This was the first real stunner by the Maple Leafs. Everyone was asking what? how?when? why?

But certainly not Who??

Despite being a stunner, it seems to have worked out thus far. Lamoriello has seemingly been successful, headlined by stealing Connor Carrick and a 2nd round draft selection from the Washington Capitals for Daniel Winnik. I mean, Brooks Laich has already done more than Winnik did the entire year for the Leafs. Fantastic.

Two months ago, Lou Lamoriello pulled a stunner, seemingly more shocking than when he was hired. Dion Phaneuf was shipped out, the same way he was shipped in, with a lot of moving parts.

Aside from Dion Phaneuf, the Maple Leafs sent out, no one really notable. In return they gained Tobias Lindberg, a 2nd round draft selection in 2017, that guy playing very well with William Nylander (Colin Greening), that guy that is giving us an extra 700K (roughly) of cap space next season (Jared Cowen), and that guy that looks good, but he was hurt when he was acquired, and he played a couple games and got hurt for the season again (Milan Michalek)..... So....

Essentially Lindberg and a 2nd for Dion Phaneuf and no retention. That's almost a steal based on projections and money reasons.

giphy.gif

All of those major moves since the end of last season, lead to what we are seeing now. A very young team winning games because of their young players. Look at the most recent game against the Philadelphia Flyers. William Nylander literally made a team playing for their playoff lives... well.... silly.

We have seen essentially every prospect on the Toronto Marlies play for the Maple Leafs this season, and there has been a reason to be optimistic in essentially all of them.

Connor Brown tallied 7 points in 8 games.

William Nylander is scoring at a 51 point pace.

Brendan Leipsic looks like he could be a Brad Marchand-Lite

Frederik Gauthier still needs a year or so, but you can see his defensive talent.

Kasperi Kapanen, Tobias Lindberg and Connor Carrick, the three big prospects the Maple Leafs have acquired, have all looked nearly NHL ready. They could all use another season in the AHL, but the Maple Leafs pro scouting (all playing in the AHL/NHL at time of deals) seems to have come through. Maybe Dave Morrison was more of a pro guy all this time.

So tonight. Game #82. It all really comes down to 6.5%. That is the difference. If we lose, we get a 20% at this guy;
Auston-Matthews-ZSC.jpg

We win, and we need to hope the Oilers win, so essentially if we win, our odds are lowered to 13.5% and we need a bit more luck in the draft lottery.

While it's easy to look back at this season with sadness because of the losing, and another year without playoffs.... don't.

When the Maple Leafs finally lift Lord's Stanley over their head, this will be the year we look back on. The year that started it all.....

I leave you simply, with the Maple Leafs projected lineups;

Tobias Lindberg - Tyler Bozak - Leo Komarov
Colin Greening - William Nylander - PA Parenteau
Sam Carrick - Byron Froese - Brad Boyes
Brooks Laich - Frederik Gauthier - Michael Grabner

Morgan Rielly - Martin Marincin
Jake Gardiner - Frank Corrado
Andrew Campbell - TJ Brennan

Garret Sparks (Confirmed)

One Last Time. Your Tank Commander, Signs Off

tumblr_inline_o55x0bFDDA1qf3xuh_500.gif

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Attaboy cor. Only thing is that Sparkie is in the cage

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets Apr 7 Philadelphia, PA
Kapanen going to the Marlies, Sparks starts Saturday.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

It's the tankiest of all tank moves. here hoping for the win (loss)!

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

wow.. the leafs are going hard for the 20% odds.

about the only other thing that could happen .. is that Lou gives Sparks and Bernier some of his "special" homemade soup before the game and Grabner (because he has the most experience of having shots hit the crest) has to strap on the pads for the night.

Great GDT Cor.. you've done all you can this year ;)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Please. I am only going to ask for two things this season

1: that we lose
2: that we win the lottery (for Matthews - should be specific)

that's it.

let next year take care of itself hockeywise. just let those two things happen.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Leo back for the last game is a bit of a surprise.

Sort of expect NJ's back up goalie, whoever he is. Hope he's got game.

Elias is retiring, I think. Might be a little incentive for the Devils to go out on a high note.

Be nice if Columbus beats Chicago in the afternoon. Give a little more incentive for Vancouver to lose to the Oilers.

I'll be ecstatic if we get Matthews or Laine.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Leo back for the last game is a bit of a surprise.

Sort of expect NJ's back up goalie, whoever he is. Hope he's got game.

Elias is retiring, I think. Might be a little incentive for the Devils to go out on a high note.

Be nice if Columbus beats Chicago in the afternoon. Give a little more incentive for Vancouver to lose to the Oilers.

I'll be ecstatic if we get Matthews or Laine.

Cory is starting as Kinkaid our back up played the last game. I'm assuming from the GDT you are all in tank mode so I assume that is good news for you.

Other note is we have signed and called up almost all of our junior and college prospects whose seasons ended early. Close to 4 potential NHL debuts for this game including Paval Zacha.

Also yes there is some incententive that might be Elias' last game as a Devil (word is he doesn't want to retire), and first time Lou is back in our building which is another element for the fans.

See how that all works out.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Please. I am only going to ask for two things this season

1: that we lose
2: that we win the lottery (for Matthews - should be specific)

that's it.

let next year take care of itself hockeywise. just let those two things happen.

But what if we lose and then Edmonton wins the lottery :nod:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
zacha is playing.. could be fun!

Well the Leafs always seem to be the team that players get their first's against. This year alone Patrick Kane got his first career hat trick against the Leafs, Dylan Larkin scored his first career goal, and their was a third one that I cant remember.

So with that said, who wants to bet that Pavel Zacha scores his first career goal against the Leafs tomorrow night???

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well the Leafs always seem to be the team that players get their first's against. This year alone Patrick Kane got his first career hat trick against the Leafs, Dylan Larkin scored his first career goal, and their was a third one that I cant remember.

So with that said, who wants to bet that Pavel Zacha scores his first career goal against the Leafs tomorrow night???

Don't care who scores as long as we score one less than NJ in regulation. Go Zacha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad