Post-Game Talk: SEASON FINALE - Canucks 4 vs. Oilers 3 | (Lottery position clinched!)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Man, I hope they don't buy out Burrows. Of all the guys from the old boys club, he's the one I have the least ill-will towards. The guy came from NOTHING and made it to the top line of an NHL team in 5 years. That's pretty amazing.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Question: is there a deadline date when they have to make a buy-out decision on Burrows?

I'm hoping he finishes his contract as a Canuck, but I guess they have to see how all the pieces fit next year.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You weren't kidding, a ton of Oilers fans had 'Matthews' written in their jerseys tonight on Granville.

Maybe some Canucks fans should put 'Lucic' on some jerseys as well

JA

You weren't kidding, a ton of Oilers fans had 'Matthews' written in their jerseys tonight on Granville.

Maybe some Canucks fans should put 'Lucic' on some jerseys as well
My ideal scenario:

Toronto/Arizona - Matthews
Vancouver - Laine
Winnipeg/Calgary - Puljujarvi
Edmonton/Toronto - 4th overall

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

My ideal scenario has the Canucks picking 1st overall. Not sure why picking lower is ideal for you...
I very strongly believe that Patrik Laine is the best player of this draft class.

Unless the Canucks are picking Patrik Laine first overall, I would hope that they are in a position to automatically make that choice. Laine is playing at such a high level right now that I am afraid that he might play himself into the first overall position; he has had a very dominant playoff campaign thus far, and scouts might begin to consider what I've recognized for months. Only if he usurps Matthews on most rankings, or if the Canucks are savvy enough to draft him ahead of anyone else, would I be satisfied with selecting first overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Didnt affect the standings so...WOO! Nice win. Knowing the standings beforehand actually let me just sit back and enjoy the game and root for a win.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
From an actual in-game standpoint that Burrows shootout goal and celly was the best part of the season. Here's to hoping he's still a Canuck in October.

JA

I just rolled the NHL Lottery Simulator and had Boston picking first, Vancouver picking second, Toronto picking third.

Oh boy. At least Edmonton is out of the top three there.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
huh. Hank and Dank better look long and hard at their future because this team might struggle for some time. Maybe they need to ask themselves if they can actually be happy on a rebuilding team?

Maybe management should have been honest with them and not lied and said they could turn this team around in a hurry.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Maybe management should have been honest with them and not lied and said they could turn this team around in a hurry.

better to tow the line and be miserable while playing for a bunch of idiotic, lying *******s. Right Jimson?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Most likely Burrows' last game, so it was nice that they managed to win. I was incredibly heated when they allowed the Oilers to tie it late in the 3rd.

Marky was very solid, some world class goaltending sprinkled with some not so world class goaltending. It's a little embarrassing that the Oilers got 38 shots on goal though, this team really is #28. Marky ends the season with 30 starts (career high) and a .915 Sv% (career best) and just 4 less wins than Miller in 21 less starts (13 in 30 vs 17 in 51). Hopefully management saw how well he played as the de facto starter when Miller was hurt - and how Miller was very good when they rotated down the stretch - and we will see the same split at least next season.

Hutton, Hansen, Horvat and the Sedins (HM: Baertschi) have had solid seasons. I expected more from Virtanen and McCann but still think highly of both. Glaring need for some forwards stepping up next year. Hamhuis was solid post-injury and I'd re-sign him if he accepts a team friendly deal. Edler-Tanev/Hamhuis-Hutton is a decent top 4 IMO and won't force the new shiny toy (if it's a D-man) into a too big a role instantly. Tryamkin looks promising, Pedan not so much (he's also being laughably badly developed).

Interesting summer coming up with Boeser, Demko and the new shiny toy. I'd assume Etem and Granlund will be qualified/resigned. Hopefully quite a few new faces in the locker room come October.

Last edited:

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
huh. Hank and Dank better look long and hard at their future because this team might struggle for some time. Maybe they need to ask themselves if they can actually be happy on a rebuilding team?

They've already said they're all in on a rebuild though. I'm happy that they're not ok with the team being absolute garbage, because it isn't ok.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I very strongly believe that Patrik Laine is the best player of this draft class.

Unless the Canucks are picking Patrik Laine first overall, I would hope that they are in a position to automatically make that choice. Laine is playing at such a high level right now that I am afraid that he might play himself into the first overall position; he has had a very dominant playoff campaign thus far, and scouts might begin to consider what I've recognized for months. Only if he usurps Matthews on most rankings, or if the Canucks are savvy enough to draft him ahead of anyone else, would I be satisfied with selecting first overall.

Canucks win lottery, trade down to #2.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
My ideal scenario would be picking top 2 for either Matthews or Laine, but also Edmonton and Calgary out of the top 3

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospec...ings-apr-2016/

looks like it might take the first pick to get him. I think the Oilers would definitely pick him first to play with McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad