Kings Article: Sean Walker’s Stock with the LA Kings is Rising Faster, Higher Than Expected

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Rookie defenseman Sean Walker has turned a lot of heads, especially during his second stint with the this season, displaying skill, speed, offensive ability and a right-hand shot from the blue line, which is in short supply throughout the Kings' system.

Walker and assistant general manager Michael Futa spoke exclusively with Frozen Royalty, looking at what Walker has done to earn the attention he's been getting and more.

Read all about it at...

Sean Walker’s Stock with the LA Kings is Rising Faster, Higher Than Expected

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Rookie defenseman Sean Walker has turned a lot of heads, especially during his second stint with the this season, displaying skill, speed, offensive ability and a right-hand shot from the blue line, which is in short supply throughout the Kings' system.

Walker and assistant general manager Michael Futa spoke exclusively with Frozen Royalty, looking at what Walker has done to earn the attention he's been getting and more.

Read all about it at...

Sean Walker’s Stock with the LA Kings is Rising Faster, Higher Than Expected
Thank you for the article FR. It's nice to see one of the young guys stepping up and making a name for himself during a disappointing season. Also, nice to see the system is working as in signing college free agents and developing them the right way.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thought this was an interesting piece re: philosophy beyond Walker too:

"“At that age, for some kids, you have to plug’em into the wall to get’em going,” Futa noted. “For others, you have to pull’em back. Part of what has made [Walker] effective is that willingness to jump up into the play and be involved and understand that sometimes, it’s not going to go great the other way. But talking to Blakey the other day, moving forward, we want to be a team that takes those chances to score goals and outscore teams rather than try to sit on a one-goal lead and try to be safe all the time. We want to be more industrious that way.”"

I'm definitely rooting for Walker. He's got an interesting skillset vs. the rest of our current prospects. I know he's a work in progress and I hope he figures it out because right now he's Randy Jones in the d-zone. Edit: and 17 points in 22 games is real nice AHL production!

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The author calls Walker one of the top, undrafted college prospects.

Walker is turning 25 at the end of the year, so I think he’s past the age he can be called a prospect, which IMO is roughly 23 years old max.

I think he and a lot of other guys like him in the Kings AHL team are more like projects than prospects. And projects can work out, if the player has talent and gets ice time in the right role. Look at Iafallo as the perfect example.

And then you have a guy like Forbort, who has been a multi year project, handed ice time for no real objective reasons but was treated like a prospect because of bad drafting.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
But talking to Blakey the other day, moving forward, we want to be a team that takes those chances to score goals and outscore teams rather than try to sit on a one-goal lead and try to be safe all the time. We want to be more industrious that way.”"
then they better change the play style to constantly activating defensemen the way nashville et al do, cause right now it's a once in a blue moon type of thing

walker suits that role since he's not lighting the world on fire with his defensive play, but i certainly hope that message got through to coaching as well

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Walker is turning 25 at the end of the year, so I think he’s past the age he can be called a prospect, which IMO is roughly 23 years old max.

I think he and a lot of other guys like him in the Kings AHL team are more like projects than prospects. And projects can work out, if the player has talent and gets ice time in the right role. Look at Iafallo as the perfect example.

And then you have a guy like Forbort, who has been a multi year project, handed ice time for no real objective reasons but was treated like a prospect because of bad drafting.

Now we know who the guy who voted for Yanni Gourde over Mathew Barzal in Calder Trophy voting will be nominating for #1 in his Calder ballot this year ;)

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Meh. He passes the eye test okay, but it's not as if he's blowing the doors off the place. 3 points in 19 games is not all that impressive for an offensive defenseman, and he's a -6. A lot of that has to do with playing next to Phaneuf, but still, not all that impressive to me so far.

Reactions: LAKings88

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

Most prospects get a chance to turn pro at 20-21. If they're really good, 18-19, but that's rare. College kids often stay in school until age 22, so it's really not uncommon for them to still be prospects a few years later.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Meh. He passes the eye test okay, but it's not as if he's blowing the doors off the place. 3 points in 19 games is not all that impressive for an offensive defenseman, and he's a -6. A lot of that has to do with playing next to Phaneuf, but still, not all that impressive to me so far.

You pointed out the problem with your assessment. Only 19 games in the NHL. What are you expecting in such a small sample size?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Good article, thanks Gann!

I rarely get excited about offensive defensemen at the pro level, especially on the Kings, but I'm pulling for him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad