NFL: Sean Payton informs the Saints he is stepping away

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This guy in the presser is going through like every player who ever came through lmao

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Payton says he wants to try TV, but claims he hasn't talked to anyone, so I guess we'll see him surface there.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is pretty genius. Say what you know the reporters want to hear. This kind of talk will help shape complementary articles about him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Payton says he wants to try TV, but claims he hasn't talked to anyone, so I guess we'll see him surface there.
Some guys some off well on TV others not so much. He’s a big name so he’ll get an opportunity.

Fox has Johnson.
CBS has Cowher
nBC has Dungy
ESPN has Ryan
NFL network as Marucci

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Payton's contract is through 2024, so if Dallas anyone wants him before then, it'll cost compensation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Payton's contract is through 2024, so if Dallas anyone wants him before then, it'll cost compensation.
Yes. For sure. Even if he takes a year off to recharge he would still cost compensation in 2023 or 2024

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The team is something stupid like $70 million over the cap.

saints are in it bad right now

Apparently from those who like to figure these things out on the Saints fan site I frequent..
They can immediately clear $88 million in convertible cap without cutting any players nor adding any guaranteed money all through base salary and roster bonus conversions.

It’s never as bad as it may seem. Teams always find ways to make things work.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well they are without a quarterback, unless they really believe in Jamies. Their division isnt good though.
I don’t think anyone was under false illusions as to what the saints were supposed to be. And they did make subtractions. But they’ve also been in cap hell for about 12 years and never got any favors Brees until the end of his career while still remaining competitive. That said, the reason why this happened is because they were trying to get Brees over the finish line, so if they do finally decide to gut everything, that’s something that’s always been in front of them.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently from those who like to figure these things out on the Saints fan site I frequent..
They can immediately clear $88 million in convertible cap without cutting any players nor adding any guaranteed money all through base salary and roster bonus conversions.

It’s never as bad as it may seem. Teams always find ways to make things work.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap hits can be adjusted for roster players per the mechanisms mentioned. Converting base salary to signing bonuses pushes cap hit to later years. Saints have been doing that for a long time.

it’s the guys like Brees and others no longer on the roster that can’t be manipulated any longer. Brees signed an Extension just prior to his retirement to help the Saints out on their cap.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Even if. It only takes really 1 year to sit in cap hell and work out your situation.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Benson could have easily fired him after Bountygate, but he knew Payton was THE guy to have and the right person to rebuild trust in the organization.

Went on to coach another 9 seasons with four 11+ win seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man, this division could soon be the NFC East of Brady retires. Have an aging Ryan, Darnold, Hill, and like Trask as the future in TB?

if Rodgers and or Wilson leave for an AFC team it’s slim pickings for QBs in the NFC.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm guessing Payton saw a rebuild in the future and didn't want to have to oversee that. As others have noted, NO can maintain continuity and make Allen the head coach, keep Carmichael in place as OC, and maybe elevate Ryan Neilsen to the DC. They have some contracts to figure out, but they'll figure out the cap as they always do. They will likely try to win for the next couple of years as the defense includes Cam Jordan and Demario Davis at its heart. Both getting long in the tooth for the NFL. I imagine they roll the dice with Jameis Winston again on a short deal so he can show he's back and NO gets a year to figure out their future as well. This is a very big loss for the Saints. Payton always made them competitive. When they had historically bad defenses he got them to 7-9. This season with multiple QBs, missing four starting linemen for a good part of the season, missing Michael Thomas the whole season, losing their kicker to injury, and various suspensions impacting certain players, they were still 9-8 and if they don't find a way to lose in OT to the Giants they would have made the playoffs. That's not easily replaced.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00