NFL: Sean Payton informs the Saints he is stepping away

Sep 19, 2008
He will by next year. Or whenever everyone is ready.
agreed but yeah I didn't think the Cowboys would fire him this year. Another year of disappointment and yes.

Payton would be best served resting now and waiting for somewhere nice to open up. Still think he can coach

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Imagine him at Bucs after Arians LOL. Though probably that would be Harold Goodwin.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
agreed but yeah I didn't think the Cowboys would fire him this year. Another year of disappointment and yes.

Payton would be best served resting now and waiting for somewhere nice to open up. Still think he can coach
It's definitely not happening this year, the Saints would demand compensation first off.

I really can't complain though, the Saints saw heights that didn't seem possible until he arrived. No seasons worse than 7-9. I don't know what the Saints would do, Dennis Allen sticking and moving up to head coach would be the play it seems, but I don't know how strong the coaching staff is on offense because no one hardly ever tries to poach from it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So the last of Wilson’s desired destinations just for a lot less desirable.

no Payton no way. It would be the ideal time for Payton to take time off if he’s a bit burnt out.
nO has been kicking cap implications down the road for a while now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So the last of Wilson’s desired destinations just for a lot less desirable.

no Payton no way. It would be the ideal time for Payton to take time off if he’s a bit burnt out.
nO has been kicking cap implications down the road for a while now.
The Saints have been doing that the duration of his time. They have smart people who know how to put contracts together and know how to restructure them. I forget the dude's name, but he's the guy who needs to be GM whenever Mickey Loomis is done.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

With that salary cap situation and team heading into rebuild not sure it's that attractive

But a HC gig in NFL is rare opportunity so someone will jump on it and hope for best

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wasn't there always mumblings that Payton would ride off into the sunset with Brees?

Stuck around an extra year, probably figured it wasn't worth the stress of basically having to oversee a rebuild.

The NFC South is going to be so, so bad if Brady also decides he's also hanging it up.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
payton will for sure resurface sooner than later. can't blame him for not wanting to stick around for the downward spiral

taysom must be devastated though

Reactions: Voight

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
It's been a great ride. Can't believe 15 years has gone by since Peyton came aboard and helped to turn around a down and out franchise.

His 1st season was incredible with the Saints coming back home to the dome after the devastation of Katrina. I had goosebumps watching that first home game against the Falcons on Monday Night and after that Steve Gleason blocked punt for a TD, that building just exploded. Simply incredible moment.

They ended up making a run to the NFC Champ game that season but could not over come a dominant Chicago defense in that one.

Brought the franchise their 1st SB title. That on side kick to start the 2nd half was so ballsy but what a call it was.

It was a franchise under his guidance that should of won another title of two if not for some unfortunate bounces/luck.

Specifically The Minneapolis Miracle (2017) and 2018 NFC title game at home that they were seemingly in control of and simply blew, not even factoring the missed PI call late in the game.

There were other tough losses as well like in 2011 to San Fran in the Divisional Round on a Vernon Davis TD with 9 seconds left. Even the 2019 Wild Card loss at home to the Vikings in OT.

It was a great run but all good things come to an end. Thanks for the memories Sean and best of luck.

Now, please don't hire Dennis Allen to be HC. Go out and look for an offensive minded guy like an Eric Bienemy. Hoping as a Saints fan, they do not go back to being the Aints' and a bottom of the barrel franchise for years to come.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Saints have been doing that the duration of his time. They have smart people who know how to put contracts together and know how to restructure them. I forget the dude's name, but he's the guy who needs to be GM whenever Mickey Loomis is done.

I believe it's currently Khai Harley who provides assistance to things such as contracts/cap management. Recall, they lost Terry Fontenot to the Falcons last off-season and he worked hand in hand with Loomis working the cap and player personnel.

Jeff Ireland is a key cog. He's their draft guru and was formerly with the Dolphins.

From the saints website.."He's led an effort for the Saints selecting impact players in Alvin Kamara, Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk and Michael Thomas, as well as significant contributors in Marcus Davenport, Trey Hendrickson, Erik McCoy, C.J. Gardner-Johnson, David Onyemata, Andrus Peat, Tre'Quan Smith, Marcus Williams and P.J. Williams."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I believe it's currently Khai Harley who provides assistance to things such as contracts/cap management. Recall, they lost Terry Fontenot to the Falcons last off-season and he worked hand in hand with Loomis working the cap and player personnel.

Jeff Ireland is a key cog. He's their draft guru and was formerly with the Dolphins.

From the saints website.."He's led an effort for the Saints selecting impact players in Alvin Kamara, Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk and Michael Thomas, as well as significant contributors in Marcus Davenport, Trey Hendrickson, Erik McCoy, C.J. Gardner-Johnson, David Onyemata, Andrus Peat, Tre'Quan Smith, Marcus Williams and P.J. Williams."
Yeah, that's him. He's the guy they can't afford to lose in the front office. Jeff Ireland I assume gets another shot at some point, but he's good at what he does too, before he came on the Saints drafting was death

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He saw a preview of Kevin James' performance as him and couldn't bear to live with the incoming memes :sarcasm: (funny this news comes the week the movie is coming out)

Gotta give credit to him for being such a loyal guy. Lots of times I'm sure he could have left to coach Dallas or really anywhere. I know along with Brees he made a big impact on that city coming back from the hurricane.

Helluva run in NOLA. Not convinced he won't coach again but he can make a good chunk of change doing TV with little stress so who knows.

You'll always wonder if they could have gone and won #2 if they got that call vs the Rams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00