Sean Monahan, 1st round, 6th overall

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So.. Any new predictions? He's seemed to have gotten even bigger, badder and stronger AGAIN, and his release is just getting better.

I used to see him as being a perennial low 30 goal scorer, but I seriously think this kids got potential to put up 40 and be a serious goal scorer for us for years to come, especially with Johnny Hockey feeding him pucks.

As someone who didn't want to draft him for fear of him being a "safe" pick, he just keeps blowing me away.

I don't think anyone could have predicted he'd be a 30-40 goal scorer by the age of 20 :laugh:. I was in the same boat as you. I felt he was a bit of a safe pick, a second line Centre at full potential that could chip in some points and have a complete game. Right now he's the best forward out of his draft year.

I don't think the comparisons to Toews are warranted still, they never played the same type of game, and I know Ron Francis is used as well... but I don't know if he has the playmaking ability quite yet at the NHL level. He's a great finisher and a solid two-way player. This team's well off with him and Sam Bennett waiting in the wings.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We should just stop talking about comparisons now. I mean, the guy scored 30+ goals, he's no longer Toews/Francis/Newy lite, he's Sean Monahan.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't remember the exact date the line became official, but it was sometime in late January on-and-off (we saw it during some games momentarily until Hartley went all-in):

Before January:
39 GP
11 G
14 A
Pace:
23G + 29A = 52 Points

January:
11GP
5G
2A
Pace:
37G + 15A = 52 Points

February to April:
31GP
15G
15A

Pace:
40G + 40A = 80Pts

For those first 30-40ish games his line was Glencross and someone else (I can't remember exactly who, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Hudler), he basically was playing with an over the hill Glencross and some other scrub.

When he finally got some legit line mates he went PPG.

Would not be surprised to see him at 75 points this year and Gaudreau at 80+.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Sean Monahan Reaches 100th Career Point

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames
With his helper on the OT goal, @Monahan20 has 100 career points! Congrats Mony! #DETvsCGY

5b164dd756279d89de9db49a2a020c9f.jpg

Congrats to Monahan on the milestone. Not too bad for a 21 year old. :)

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't say that. I spend a lot of time on the main boards, and he gets a lot of credit in terms of his value as a player and potential value on the market.

Yeah when Tampa fans flat out REFUSE to consider a deal for Stamkos without Monahan, you know his value isn't a secret.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad