Player Discussion Sean Day

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's done decently in the minors but he's still the long-shot he always was.

Our revamped pipeline has made things more difficult for him.

Reactions: eco's bones

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You’re going to get people who say he’s a lost cause and he’s stupid, but that’s not really true. He’s a big time project that just played his first pro season and did well enough. He gets lost because there’s a ton of guys ahead of him, so he’s still got a lot of work to do to over take them

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Decent skills but not a very smart or instinctive player. Maybe he can be a 5/6 down the road, but probably not, and probably not here.

Reactions: eco's bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll take "Prospects I got excited about because there was nothing else to be excited about" for 800 Alex.
Yeah basically. He's not a terrible prospect, but he's a guy no one would have given a lot of thought to had we not been so bereft of legitimate prospects.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A couple years back we weren't deep in prospects and his chances of becoming a Ranger were a lot better. The last couple years the Rangers organizationally have gotten much deeper though. Day got better as the season went along but he's significantly below these left shot guys--Miller, Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Reunanen and Bigras. He's more in the group with Ragnarsson, Crawley and Sjalin. That's a lot of prospects to be below though. At best he's two years away from the NHL and if he does become an NHL player I doubt it will be with the Rangers. But no I don't think he's a bad prospect--it's just he's not in a great situation here.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Was in the ECHL for the majority of this past season, no? From what I understand the kid has a lot of talent, but even more to figure out

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Was in the ECHL for the majority of this past season, no? From what I understand the kid has a lot of talent, but even more to figure out

Actually he spent more time in the AHL but Hartford was also hit with a bunch of injures to their defense corps. O'Gara missed half the season. Bigras about a third. Crawley was out a couple times. Lindgren and Hajek were both hurt towards the end of the year.

Day seemed to improve in the second half but after first being called up he had a lengthy and difficult spell of adjusting to the AHL. He did eventually get better though. He has great size and is a very good skater--he has very good puck skills. He's not great positionally or defensively and for his size he doesn't seem very inclined to engage physically.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Day is nowhere. He has a lot of work to do in order to leapfrog the current defensive prospects. I have my doubts about his ability to do so. He looks to be playing most of his career in Europe.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A couple years back we weren't deep in prospects and his chances of becoming a Ranger were a lot better. The last couple years the Rangers organizationally have gotten much deeper though. Day got better as the season went along but he's significantly below these left shot guys--Miller, Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Reunanen and Bigras. He's more in the group with Ragnarsson, Crawley and Sjalin. That's a lot of prospects to be below though. At best he's two years away from the NHL and if he does become an NHL player I doubt it will be with the Rangers. But no I don't think he's a bad prospect--it's just he's not in a great situation here.
In general I agree, but I'd even put Sjalin ahead of him. I think if Sjalin played a full, healthy season, he'd be thought of more highly here.

Ragnarsson could shoot up the board this year now that he's in the SHL.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
it seems so much fun to throw shade on players here online,
IMHO all this chatter that Day is a bust, will never exceed what the other D prospects do at NHL level, is way premature.
the player is 21 and 4 months; he has obvious gifts; his play has arc'ed positive the last 2 years

it just ain't so clear cut yet (not that points are a critical stat for a D-Man)
Hajek Final WHL season 58-12-27-39
Day Final OHL season 50-5-42-47
Keane '18-19 OHL season 66-8-31-39

but of course, he was drafted way way back in 2016, there are so many new shiny toys since then

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
it seems so much fun to throw shade on players here online,
IMHO all this chatter that Day is a bust, will never exceed what the other D prospects do at NHL level, is way premature.
the player is 21 and 4 months; he has obvious gifts; his play has arc'ed positive the last 2 years

it just ain't so clear cut yet (not that points are a critical stat for a D-Man)
Hajek Final WHL season 58-12-27-39
Day Final OHL season 50-5-42-47
Keane '18-19 OHL season 66-8-31-39

but of course, he was drafted way way back in 2016, there are so many new shiny toys since then

those stats mean very little on their own. there have been countless guys that have scored a ton of points in juniors and then did nothing as a pro

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
DeAngelo 2.0, has the tools but needs to figure it out.
No way. DeAngelo had/has maturity concerns and doubts about whether he'd ever commit to the defensive side of things. He seems to have sorted out the former while the latter is a WIP. DeAngelo has been more of a "personal commitment" type of guy.

Day on the other hand, has one plus tool and then a whole bunch of questions marks about things he can't correct simply by dedicating himself--does he have the vision, the sense, the anticipation, the general on-ice awareness, to succeed as a defenseman in the pros. Jury is still out.

I also don't think they have similar upside. I think ADA's upside is leagues above Day's, at this point. And I say this as someone who hasn't exactly been a cheerleader for ADA.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I am reposting part of an analysis I did a few weeks ago. It supports Eco's Bones thoughts.

""I went back to check how Sean Day and Ryan Gropp did after their recall from Maine. Both got off to bad starts in Hartford and were sent down. Both played very well in Maine and were recalled on December 27.

From December 27 Sean Day played in 40 games scoring his 14 points, 3 goals, 7 A1 and 4 A2, -12 and 50 shots. But I noticed that Day's performance really picked up after several AHL games. So in the final 32 games he had his 14 points, -10 and 50 shots."

I agree with Cwede. Concluding that Day is a bust is way premature. Everyone should take a deep breath of oxygen and let's see if he continues to show the improvement he had in the last 32 games of the year.

Actually he spent more time in the AHL but Hartford was also hit with a bunch of injures to their defense corps. O'Gara missed half the season. Bigras about a third. Crawley was out a couple times. Lindgren and Hajek were both hurt towards the end of the year.

Day seemed to improve in the second half but after first being called up he had a lengthy and difficult spell of adjusting to the AHL. He did eventually get better though. He has great size and is a very good skater--he has very good puck skills. He's not great positionally or defensively and for his size he doesn't seem very inclined to engage physically.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
No way. DeAngelo had/has maturity concerns and doubts about whether he'd ever commit to the defensive side of things. He seems to have sorted out the former while the latter is a WIP. DeAngelo has been more of a "personal commitment" type of guy.

Day on the other hand, has one plus tool and then a whole bunch of questions marks about things he can't correct simply by dedicating himself--does he have the vision, the sense, the anticipation, the general on-ice awareness, to succeed as a defenseman in the pros. Jury is still out.

I also don't think they have similar upside. I think ADA's upside is leagues above Day's, at this point. And I say this as someone who hasn't exactly been a cheerleader for ADA.

Day at the time of the 2013 ohl draft was only the 4th player to be given exceptional status along with Taveres, Ekblad, McDavid to join junior early, he had and still has a vision for the ice, speed and an ability to put up points. His only question mark was his commitment to training and being physically fit, likely because he was so gifted he didnt need to early in life but joining the pros is different and he needs to be better in that regard. Hopefully he can turn it around, it would be a nice bonus for us.

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I am reposting part of an analysis I did a few weeks ago. It supports Eco's Bones thoughts.

""I went back to check how Sean Day and Ryan Gropp did after their recall from Maine. Both got off to bad starts in Hartford and were sent down. Both played very well in Maine and were recalled on December 27.

From December 27 Sean Day played in 40 games scoring his 14 points, 3 goals, 7 A1 and 4 A2, -12 and 50 shots. But I noticed that Day's performance really picked up after several AHL games. So in the final 32 games he had his 14 points, -10 and 50 shots."

I agree with Cwede. Concluding that Day is a bust is way premature. Everyone should take a deep breath of oxygen and let's see if he continues to show the improvement he had in the last 32 games of the year.

i think day sometimes gets unfairly judged because he was our top draft pick that year and there was so little in the system at the time, so he got over-hyped. if we had gotten howden, hajek and fox ahead of him on draft day and he was just viewed as another 3rd round pick expectations would be completely different.

that said though I see day as an extreme long shot to make our team, but that has more to do with all the other players we've acquired then giving up on day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad