Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Robert Hagg is bad. I'm not sure how you don't see it. Flubbing outlet passes is bad especially ones where there isn't any pressure.
I’m on record, repeatedly, as saying Hagg “stinks.”

There are a number here who paint my lukewarm defense of him as an adequate but fungible #6 and PKer as calling him “good.”

Nope. Just many here perceive everything in black & white extremes. Either great or horrible. Not a hint of gray. Criticism of the heroes is heresy. Anything but invective about the villains is verboten.

There’s a narrative that the Flyers “never have the puck” when Hagg is on the ice, because out of every 100 shots taken, the Flyers take 5 fewer than the opponent with Hagg on the ice, & he tends to get disadvantageous deployments. It’s incredibly overblown. He had 20 points last season as a 23 year old defenseman in his second season, so obviously they had the puck.

He’s not good. No #6 defensemen in the league are good. But he’s cheap & serviceable & fills a role. IMO some fans need to back off their seething blind hatred & realize that two completely different GMs & coaching staffs (& Couturier) appreciate some of the things he does & trust him over other options like Morin. Maybe a few percentage points of CORSI!! & fan whipping-boy opinion aren’t everything.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

There’s a narrative that the Flyers “never have the puck” when Hagg is on the ice, because out of every 100 shots taken, the Flyers take 5 fewer than the opponent with Hagg on the ice, & he tends to get disadvantageous deployments. It’s incredibly overblown.
Thats just bs.

For every 100 goals scored while him being in the ice opponent was expected to score 22 more goals than Flyers. That like a f***ing bad.

And thats a sample of 82 games.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I’m on record, repeatedly, as saying Hagg “stinks.”

There are a number here who paint my lukewarm defense of him as an adequate but fungible #6 and PKer as calling him “good.”

Nope. Just many here perceive everything in black & white extremes. Either great or horrible. Not a hint of gray. Criticism of the heroes is heresy. Anything but invective about the villains is verboten.

There’s a narrative that the Flyers “never have the puck” when Hagg is on the ice, because out of every 100 shots taken, the Flyers take 5 fewer than the opponent with Hagg on the ice, & he tends to get disadvantageous deployments. It’s incredibly overblown. He had 20 points last season as a 23 year old defenseman in his second season, so obviously they had the puck.

He’s not good. No #6 defensemen in the league are good. But he’s cheap & serviceable & fills a role. IMO some fans need to back off their seething blind hatred & realize that two completely different GMs & coaching staffs (& Couturier) appreciate some of the things he does & trust him over other options like Morin. Maybe a few percentage points of CORSI!! & fan whipping-boy opinion aren’t everything.
I'll say nice things about you at your Flyers HFBoards funeral.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Couts' comment suggests simply that players see other players differently than fans do.
I'm sure he's aware of Hagg's weaknesses (he is a stat guy), but also expressed appreciation for Hagg's size and toughness.

"Robert Hagg. He doesn't put the number stats-wise, but he's really solid defensively. I think he's tough to play against, he's really physical. And he kinda brings that stability back there, of being solid."

So personnel decisions that enrage some here may be accepted or even applauded by teammates.
Since the comment was unsolicited, and to people not in the local media, it's less likely that Couts was merely fluffing.

Maybe message board geniuses aren't always correct. Remember, when Hagg runs a guy after Couturier takes a cheap shot from a guy that is does not go unnoticed and does have an affect on the game. he could just be touting on a teammate for a legit reason.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Thats just bs.

For every 100 goals scored while him being in the ice opponent was expected to score 22 more goals than Flyers. That like a ****ing bad.

Actually, it’s fact, not BS.

And congrats on your unreliable, made-up fancy stat. In reality, you know, fact, Hagg was -3 in some tough usage. Not the end of the world considering disadvantageous usage on a team with bad goaltending as a guy who should be a #6 & serves a role as a PKer.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Actually, it’s fact, not BS.

And congrats on your unreliable, made-up fancy stat. In reality, you know, fact, Hagg was -3 in some tough usage. Not the end of the world considering disadvantageous usage on a team with bad goaltending as a guy who should be a #6 & serves a role as a PKer.
I don’t want to get sucked into this rabbit hole but using his +/- when he was anchored a lot on G and Coots line doesn’t mean much.

It’s frustrating as fans to watch someone with extremely limited skills go unscathed with regards to line up decisions.

He made it to the NHL, of course he has talent. This needs to be stated?

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well given that Hagg is the #6 D-man, and would be #7 if Myers hadn't screwed up his opportunity to make the team, it isn't like he's "unscathed."

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don’t want to get sucked into this rabbit hole but using his +/- when he was anchored a lot on G and Coots line doesn’t mean much.

It’s frustrating as fans to watch someone with extremely limited skills go unscathed with regards to line up decisions.

He made it to the NHL, of course he has talent. This needs to be stated?
To quote Dave Hakstol, “What’re you getting at?”

It’s not enough for me to say Hagg “stinks” & is fungible, but acknowledge that two different regimes have found him an acceptable cheap young depth defenseman in a league bereft of defensemen?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Thats just bs.

For every 100 goals scored while him being in the ice opponent was expected to score 22 more goals than Flyers. That like a ****ing bad.

Sorry, how is this calculated? And I really don't understand the statement if I am honest.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
[QUOTE="Ghosts Beer, post: 165427351, member: 219445"]To quote Dave Hakstol, “What’re you getting at?”

It’s not enough for me to say Hagg “stinks” & is fungible, but acknowledge that two different regimes have found him an acceptable cheap young depth defenseman in a league bereft of defensemen?[/QUOTE]

Touché ;)

Nothing in your statement is inaccurate. You seem to find it annoying/amusing we complain endlessly about Hagg and Hakstol. I just find it interesting you endlessly enjoy griping when we use absolutes in our descriptions.

“Hagg is complete garbage” “Hart is a God” etc are all very common exaggerations in sports. Emotion plays a huge part. Being logical and completely neutral is, well, boring.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Ghosts Beer, post: 165427351, member: 219445"]To quote Dave Hakstol, “What’re you getting at?”

It’s not enough for me to say Hagg “stinks” & is fungible, but acknowledge that two different regimes have found him an acceptable cheap young depth defenseman in a league bereft of defensemen?

Touché ;)

Nothing in your statement is inaccurate. You seem to find it annoying/amusing we complain endlessly about Hagg and Hakstol. I just find it interesting you endlessly enjoy griping when we use absolutes in our descriptions.

“Hagg is complete garbage” “Hart is a God” etc are all very common exaggerations in sports. Emotion plays a huge part. Being logical and completely neutral is, well, boring.[/QUOTE]

That’s a reasonable response. I just get annoyed sometimes with the extreme polarity of opinions, “good vs. evil” type thinking, & the obsession with bottom-of-the-roster players.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Touché ;)

“Hagg is complete garbage” “Hart is a God” etc are all very common exaggerations in sports. Emotion plays a huge part. Being logical and completely neutral is, well, boring.

That’s a reasonable response. I just get annoyed sometimes with the extreme polarity of opinions, “good vs. evil” type thinking, & the obsession with bottom-of-the-roster players.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I sense there’s a face-painting, drunken streaker inside you somewhere.. Unleash the beast GB :nod:

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Sorry, how is this calculated? And I really don't understand the statement if I am honest.
That just is xGF% basically. Though is miss calculated that, it's not quite as bad.

According to hockey refrence Hägg's xGF% 42,6. So every 100 goals scored him on the ice Flyers score 42,6 goals. Leaving opponent with 57,4 goals. 15 goals dofference.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe message board geniuses aren't always correct. Remember, when Hagg runs a guy after Couturier takes a cheap shot from a guy that is does not go unnoticed and does have an affect on the game. he could just be touting on a teammate for a legit reason.

How are you holding up these days since NBCSP canned you?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couts' comment suggests simply that players see other players differently than fans do.
I'm sure he's aware of Hagg's weaknesses (he is a stat guy), but also expressed appreciation for Hagg's size and toughness.

"Robert Hagg. He doesn't put the number stats-wise, but he's really solid defensively. I think he's tough to play against, he's really physical. And he kinda brings that stability back there, of being solid."

So personnel decisions that enrage some here may be accepted or even applauded by teammates.
Since the comment was unsolicited, and to people not in the local media, it's less likely that Couts was merely fluffing.

The bolded indicates that Couturier is fluffing up a teammate, because it is flat-out untrue. You think he'd say anything but "this player is great?"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The bolded indicates that Couturier is fluffing up a teammate, because it is flat-out untrue. You think he'd say anything but "this player is great?"

Except he didn't have to mention him at all. The question was open ended. A politic answer would have ended with Sanheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad