Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even after all these years he doesn't realize that Couturier could be removed from the PP entirely and still be the Flyers top center. Despite starting the season carrying an injury, his 5on5 P/60 is actually up from 2.08 in 17-18 to 2.39 in 18-19.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

And his Corsi Rel is +5.27%; almost exactly the same as +5.19% in 17-18.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick
I guess it's because Jtown has never gotten to see Weal as the #1C like he wanted.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jtown, it amazes me that you continue to criticize Couts but you have so much praise for Weal...
\Im only critical of him because of the expectations on him playing in that role and centering two of our 3 most talented offensive players.

Weal has done a good job of holding on to the puck ( a skill similar to coots) in the ozone, the problem is he is having a difficult time playing off teammates.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Couturier does need to pick it up on the #1 along with Voracek and Ghost. Although I think their lack of production is what is hampering Ghost. No team presses either of those players and the PP more often than not is just Ghost -> Giroux -> Ghost -> Giroux with some other mix in there.

There needs to be stark changes to the structure of the team and their PP/PK roles and positions. Overall I think the talent level is plenty fine.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
I decided to redo one of my favorite gifs for this thread Greatest hockey GIF's of all time and thought that our thread about Couts needs it too :nod:

ajnMPez.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In the Flyers last 21 games:

Couts: 19 points(20 games)
Jake: 17 points
Giroux: 16 points
JVR: 16 points
Simmonds: 9 points
Patrick: 8 points(17 games)
Laughton 8 points
Konecny: 7 points

Couts beasting....TK underperforming.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
@Tripod - How many of those points are during the long change, short-handed? Those are the only points that really matter. Even ES is not that great an indicator because there are so many teammates to affect the situation thus not proving if the player scoring a point really did anything that impressive.

I say the long change, because the short change is for weaklings. PP points count as a negative. ENG/ENA also don't count, #reasons. Adjust those scores accordingly.

#ObviousHeelTurn

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Since I am looking at Couts stuff:

He is tied for 13th in ES points over the last 1.5 years. He is tied with Crosby, Ovi, and Point.(Giroux is 5th in NHL)
He is 7th in C scoring at ES over the last 1.5 years.
He is 36th overall in points over the last 1.5 years even with our awful PP this year.
He is 20th in C scoring over the last 1.5 years even with our awful PP this year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Since I am looking at Couts stuff:

He is tied for 13th in ES points over the last 1.5 years. He is tied with Crosby, Ovi, and Point.(Giroux is 5th in NHL)
He is 7th in C scoring at ES over the last 1.5 years.
He is 36th overall in points over the last 1.5 years even with our awful PP this year.
He is 20th in C scoring over the last 1.5 years even with our awful PP this year.
See, told you he'd never be better than a 3C. LOL!

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm the anti-JTown, I've always thought Coots would be this type of player, ever since his first playoff series vs. Pittsburgh. I told friends he'd be somewhere around a Poulin or Brind'Amour type. He's a better goal-scorer than either of them, though he's worse on special teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm the anti-JTown, I've always thought Coots would be this type of player, ever since his first playoff series vs. Pittsburgh. I told friends he'd be somewhere around a Poulin or Brind'Amour type. He's a better goal-scorer than either of them, though he's worse on special teams.
Remember the Couts vs Schenn threads where some were so upset that Couts won those.

Good times!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In the Flyers last 21 games:

Couts: 19 points(20 games)
Jake: 17 points
Giroux: 16 points
JVR: 16 points
Simmonds: 9 points
Patrick: 8 points(17 games)
Laughton 8 points
Konecny: 7 points

Couts beasting....TK underperforming.

Who is Jake playing with during that stretch?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I’m looking at the overall team building of this team and it appears that we are creating a team somewhat similar to the bruins cup winner. They won with great goaltending and defense, with opportunistic scoring. Neither of their top centers in kreji and Bergeron scored more than 70 points—they didn’t have an elite scoring talent on the first line. It’s a different game now, so we won’t be a big and mean team like they were, but there are some similarities. Of course the one I’m looking at is the relative scoring of their top centers and who we perceive to be ours.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I’m looking at the overall team building of this team and it appears that we are creating a team somewhat similar to the bruins cup winner. They won with great goaltending and defense, with opportunistic scoring. Neither of their top centers in kreji and Bergeron scored more than 70 points—they didn’t have an elite scoring talent on the first line. It’s a different game now, so we won’t be a big and mean team like they were, but there are some similarities. Of course the one I’m looking at is the relative scoring of their top centers and who we perceive to be ours.
But we have elite talent on roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts and Giroux both had > 60 ES points last year, and will have 50+ this year, if that's not elite, it's pretty darn close.
Voracek averaged 42 ES points over 4 years, and is on his way to repeating 50 again this season.
JVR averaged 39 ES points a year over 4 1/2 seasons, and is on a 40 point rate again this season
TK had 44 ES points last year and is on a 40 point rate this year.

So that's five forwards who are credible 40+ ES scorers.
Add to that group Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton and Frost, and forward scoring should not be an issue next year.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Couts and Giroux both had > 60 ES points last year, and will have 50+ this year, if that's not elite, it's pretty darn close.
Voracek averaged 42 ES points over 4 years, and is on his way to repeating 50 again this season.
JVR averaged 39 ES points a year over 4 1/2 seasons, and is on a 40 point rate again this season
TK had 44 ES points last year and is on a 40 point rate this year.

So that's five forwards who are credible 40+ ES scorers.
Add to that group Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton and Frost, and forward scoring should not be an issue next year.
It’s balanced but we haven’t seen a consistent uptick towards our end goal. My point is merely that we are building a team constructed similar to that bruins team, who won moreso on the back of outstanding goaltending and a very stiff defense (in addition to just being able to manhandle teams).

I don’t toss “elite” around—last year I’d say was an elite year for giroux. We have above average with the potential for elite, but our top players I don’t consider to have the ability to consistently dominate games.

The good news is, of course, that the strategy started with hextall is in line with this thought process. We are going to have a deep team that can go after teams wave after wave in a year or two. We are not going to have top flight elite offensive talent for any consistent period of time, which is okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad