Injury Report: Sean Couturier back injuries/surgeries beginning Sept. 2022; missed entire 2022-23 season

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah he had hot and cold streaks during that 54 game stretch, and the result was a 60 point pace for 2/3rds of a season where he usage was very different then the 1st third.

You're talking about a kid that just cracked 150 games. If anything he should be moving into a point is his development arc where he will get more consistent.

There is really no reason to think he can't replicate that play for a full season moving forward 55-60 points is a pretty reasonable projection. Especially since the return on Coots should boost the PP which Frost could very well benefit from.
I mean I think 65 is a lot of pints. Especially to expect. For example Zegras had 65 pts and had played similar career games to Frost is that’s a data point you are using. Frost will be behind at least Couts. Could also be Cates like it or not.

I see TK having consistency or improvement next year. Not many else.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
Frost is not a 65 pt imo. I’m assuming we don’t have an elite 1C till it happens. So the 2C has to be that much better. I see Frost as a 3C on a good team.

I think we will be able to get away with a non elite 1C since we will have a play driving wing with him. But still need those pieces.

I’m good with York on the top pair, but would love if he was forced to be on the middle pair. We have 2 x 1W so far. Not bad given their talent so far but need the top pieces.
Tried to find best place for this quote from Yardbarker (cue scorn, decision -- often well-earned), about which I ask "Was the last sentence written by ChatGpt?". If not, it may well be the worst human-written sentence I have ever read:

"One more restricted free agent hangs in the balance. Noah Cates, Olle Lycksell, Cam York, and Ronnie Attard agreed to new terms with the Philadelphia Flyers.
The remaining domino is Morgan Frost.
Speculation articulates that Frost would be close to an agreement with the Flyers."

(And that's giving a pass to free agent dominos hanging in the balance).

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost could hit 65 points pretty easily in this league if he wasn't playing on this team. He played just below that pace for the majority of the season. His Even Strength per 60 numbers are pretty good—even with terrible usage for the first 3 months, he still scored at a better even strength rate than Tavares, Necas, Meier, Schiefele, JT Miller, Horvat, and quite a few other guys who most certainly eclipsed 65 points.

For the first third of the season he was getting only about 14:27 a night—often with at least Deslauriers chained to his ankle. With that icetime and usage, he produced a whopping 6 points in 27 games. For the last two thirds of the season, his usage jumped up by nearly 3 minutes to 17:17 and he got to play with some real NHL players, like Tippett. And what do you know? 40 points in 54 games (a 60 point pace).

The biggest issues are 1: that he plays for a dolt coach on an awful team so he's liable to be underutilized or paired with duds who bring him down, and 2: their PP is utter garbage. Only 5 of his 46 points were scored on the PP. He had the same number of even strength points as Tavares, just had 34 less PP points.

Frost is absolutely good enough to score 65 points in the NHL, and would likely already be a lock to do so on a less incompetent club.

(btw, this is probably what his agent is telling Briererella right now while arguing that he deserves more money)
The biggest issue is whether this was a fluke or a sign of things to come.

Max Domi is a good cautionary tale, struggled a few years, then at 23, puts up 72 points, including 24-37 61 at ES. A rising star, right?
Since then, 44 points, 24 (54g), 39, 56.

Best thing with Frost is a two year bridge, see if he's a cornerstone to a rebuild, or another player who had a hot streak then settled into his "norm," and move him at the TDL in a year.

Reactions: tnfrs

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Max Domi is a good cautionary tale, struggled a few years, then at 23, puts up 72 points, including 24-37 61 at ES. A rising star, right?

Best thing with Frost is a two year bridge, see if he's a cornerstone to a rebuild, or another player who had a hot streak then settled into his "norm," and move him at the TDL in a year.

It's not a fluke. You're only pretending it is because that defense bad management and coaching decisions that you've gone all-in on.

Reactions: kudymen

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

I agree. it takes a couple years in the NHL to figure it out unless youre a highly gifted player, and even a guy like Jack Hughes had kinda below average years his first few seasons. Not comparing the two at all, but Frost didnt exactly have a streamlined path after he was drafted, he went back to juniors for two years and then was back and forth between Philly and Lehigh playing parts of each of the next 3 seasons, and im pretty sure he missed all of the 2021 season when he hurt his shoulder. So the most important years of his career were kind of a clusterf***. People can argue hes 24 now and thats plenty of time to have put it together by now but I disagree. In his first full season he looked like he belongs in the NHL as a center, now the next two years will determine if he's going to be a top 6 or middle 6 center.

That being said, if Frost comes out flying next year and has an amazing season thats great, if its too good though, like if he looks like a potential first line center and starts putting up a PPG pace or close to it, I would trade the shit out of him. I don't think 60-65 points is unreasonable or unrealistic, but if he's on pace for 70-75 maybe someone will over pay for the points alone whether or not the rest of his overall game catches up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad