Sean Couturier and Dougie Hamilton

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
I love the fact they have couturier and he is looks to be heading towards stud player status. very very happy he is on this team

that being said, I keep looking at hamilton. 6'6 200 at 19? I've been wanting a big D prospect with #1 potential for a long time. after the 2 100mil contract debacles during the last offseason sometimes has me wishing this kid was coming up. would love to see how he would do next to kimo this year

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I love the fact they have couturier and he is looks to be heading towards stud player status. very very happy he is on this team

that being said, I keep looking at hamilton. 6'6 200 at 19? I've been wanting a big D prospect with #1 potential for a long time. after the 2 100mil contract debacles during the last offseason sometimes has me wishing this kid was coming up. would love to see how he would do next to kimo this year

I'm not sure Holmgren even liked Hamilton to begin with. Weren't there reports that Philly was going to take someone else if Couturier wasn't there?

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Regardless if homer liked hamilton at the draft... He seems to be proven wrong so far. Hamilton looks legit.

Meh. Looked underwhelming at the World Juniors. Will reserve judgment until he plays a couple years in the NHL. Flaws tend to get exposed at that level.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Meh. Looked underwhelming at the World Juniors. Will reserve judgment until he plays a couple years in the NHL. Flaws tend to get exposed at that level.

That's true, however he wouldn't be the first highly touted defenseman to underwhelm at the world juniors, and go on to have good careers.

World juniors is just a small sample size, hes played very well at the junior level.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Regardless if homer liked hamilton at the draft... He seems to be proven wrong so far. Hamilton looks legit.

Hamilton could very well end up being a franchise defenseman. Ive read a lot of scouting reports on him since I dont get to watch junior hockey that much, and the common thing said is that he isnt nearly physical enough. I did get to watch the WJC however and noticed the same thing. A player that big better play with a nasty physical edge to their game. Of course he could end up changing that.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I also heard one problem with Hamilton is his hockey IQ. He needs to get smarter on the ice before we can announce he is the next Pronger/Chara/Weber. I have not seen him play a lot of junior hockey, but did get to see him in the WJC. He really didn't blow me out of the water, but neither did Seth Jones. Both have tons of potential.

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca

I don't know, i watched him and I got very irritated with the bruins. This kid looks pretty good out there.

once the strength builds with his weight, its a 6'6 skating young dman who will hit and has a big shot. i think we once had a pretty good big d man with a heavy shot at the point.

I have been on the big stud D prospect wagon for some time now, even with the goalies we have had in net

I am very happy with sean and looking forward to seeing how this year goes since he has been playing in the AHL.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
At that point in he draft, if both players are equal, it is better to take the forward. Forward talent is easier to project into the NHL than defensemen. That is why there are very few all star forwards coming in the back end of the 1st round let alone after the 1st round while all-star defensemen come in every round. Quick look at the top 15 scoring forwards last year, 9 were picked in the top 5, 3 were picked in the rest of the 1st (12, and 2 at 22) and 3 were in the 2nd. Top 15 defensemen for ice time, which is better than points to account for defensive defensemen, 4 were picked in the top 10 with two others for 6 total in the 1st, 2 2nd rd ricks, 3 3rd rd picks, a 5th, a 6th and two undrafted free agents. Hamilton could be a star or he could be the 4th or 5th best dman out of players picked after him in the draft.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was not happy at all when the Flyers got Couturier instead of Hamilton. Right now it looks like Homer made the right choice though. I am certainly not complaining. Coots is one of my favorites on this team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was not happy at all when the Flyers got Couturier instead of Hamilton. Right now it looks like Homer made the right choice though. I am certainly not complaining. Coots is one of my favorites on this team.

I'm no longer going to question any center picked by Homer in the first round, even if it's not an obvious pick and we have other needs. The guy clearly knows centers.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
For myself it was a win win. We got a very good player in Couturier, but also had to pass on a very good player in Hamilton.

I see it a luxury associated with having a high draft pick. We can probably look at every first rounder this team has taken over the past several years and talk about what we like about the guy we took, and who we also would have liked to have instead.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Hamilton, (Along side the rest of the Team Canada defense at the WJC) progressively got worse as the tournament, didn't do much to impress to be honest. I'll take Couturier any day of the week, the kid is a stud.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I watched most of the Subway Series and World Juniors.

Not once in those games has Hamilton stood out to me as an elite prospect.

HardHitt3n

May 15, 2010
at one point in his last JR year, They was projecting cooter to be the top guy in that draft. Then he got hurt and fell to us thank god. Look how he shut down top lines at 18 yrs of age. my god the potential with him is unbelievably high

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Hamilton could very well end up being a franchise defenseman. Ive read a lot of scouting reports on him since I dont get to watch junior hockey that much, and the common thing said is that he isnt nearly physical enough. I did get to watch the WJC however and noticed the same thing. A player that big better play with a nasty physical edge to their game. Of course he could end up changing that.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think you need a big defenseman to play with a physical edge just because they're that big. I'll take a defenseman with superior positional play and hockey smarts over a physical defenseman any day. Hamilton is also rather light for a 6'6 defenseman, so maybe once he adds more weight, the physical element of his game might come around.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When we went into the draft I wanted Hamilton... and thought there was a decent chance of him being at 8 for us to pick.

But when Couts fell to 8, I was going mental, just hoping that we would pick him, for over a year he was almost the consensus #1, his skating was pretty much the only concern, I honestly did not see him going lower than 5 in the draft, and thought the Sens were going to get him at a steal.

In that draft the only players I would have thought of taking over Couts were RNH, Landeskog and Larsson, but tbh I was not that enthralled with RNH, more the other three.

IMO out of the 4 'top' centres Couts was the best, then Huberdeau, then Zibanejad, then Strome.

Going into the draft I was thinking we would get Hamilton or Brodin, either and I would have been happy! But was delighted with Couts!

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
I wanted Hamilton too but couturier was a gift from the hockey gods at 8. Would have been foolish to go any other way

Completely agree. I love the fact he is a flyer and honestly would not want it any other way.

I just miss pronger. That still hurts. He would be nasty on this upcoming team. What can you do, sad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad