Sean Burke moving on from Coyotes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Previously I mentioned that Corey Hirsch is the logical conclusion for our next goalie coach. He lives in the Valley and he's the Blues' former goalie coach, where he had some success with it.

Then today I saw this on Twitter:

Todd Faber ‏@barnztormre Jun 27

Former @PortlandPirates great Corey Hirsch, now with Arizona Coyotes. Nice dude. #2015NHLDraft #PortlandPirates

The guy who tweeted it doesn't appear to be a reporter or connected to the NHL in any sort of way. By the photo w/ the tweet, it appears he just met Hirsch at the draft (ie, fan photo). Maybe Hirsch has already been hired by the Coyotes (and told that to this guy) but it's not to be announced until now, when Burke's contract is up?

Management connection: In the 02-03 season, Hirsch played two games for Dave Tippett's Dallas Stars. The rest of the year was spent with the farm team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm sure he'd rather be on the ice than in the studio. He's not the first former coach to end up in broadcasting until something else comes up.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
For what it's worth, former Oilers goalie coach Frederic Chabot has been on the ice working with the goalies at the development camp.

Played for Tippett in Houston. Not sure if he's participating as a friend ala Modano, or if this is a sign that he's our next goalie coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For what it's worth, former Oilers goalie coach Frederic Chabot has been on the ice working with the goalies at the development camp.

Played for Tippett in Houston. Not sure if he's participating as a friend ala Modano, or if this is a sign that he's our next goalie coach.

I sure hope not. Most in Edmonton were happy when he left or was fired. Hopefully is only a guest coach.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

Friedman speculating in his 30 Thoughts that he may be roving goaltending instructor for the org.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah. And it was Burke who apparently helped Dubnyk turn things around. Dub didn't seem to get much help in EDM of any sort.

Burke didn't change Dubnyk's mechanics at all. Dubz was a big fan of Chabot and remains that way to this day. Valiquette taught Dubnyk the head trajectory technique that Quick has been using.

Burke helped with the mental aspect but he didn't change a lot on the technical side.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

For those who cares.

Any opinion on his pro player evaluation capacities while he was assistant GM/ goaltending coach with you?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He saw something in Devan Dubnyk. The Coyotes signed Dubnyk based on Burke's recommendation.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Dubnyk also gave credit to Burke for his turnaround.

Burkie helped make some pretty average goalies a LOT of money!

Will miss you Sean!

So that's who we have to thank god Smith's contract!

Still, I'll miss him making our goalies better but it hasn't seemed to be working to the extend it used to. It was to the point I thought he had already left.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
So that's who we have to thank god Smith's contract!

Still, I'll miss him making our goalies better but it hasn't seemed to be working to the extend it used to. It was to the point I thought he had already left.

That happened largely when they expanded his role. He was initially the goalie coach and then he was hired as a "Director of Prospect Development" which I think was not the best move. He still helped out some of our goalies, but I think Smith is just not too coachable (unless, apparently, you've worked with him since he was 12). You can only coach a player so much, and it appears that Smith's inconsistency is not easy to "coach out" of him.

I would love to see Domingue get some tips and coaching from Burke; I just don't think Elkin cares as much about Domingue as he does about Smith or our other two goaltenders that attended his school at some point. I truly hope Elkin is more "present" this season than he apparently was last season (due to Smith's injury).

I still wonder why Schwab is the prospect goaltending coach and Elkin the NHL goaltending coach. From an organizational standpoint, it would make more sense to reverse that (since Elkin is better at developing talent than maintaining it). Of course I realize this is a Smitty thing, just confusing...

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Burke didn't change Dubnyk's mechanics at all. Dubz was a big fan of Chabot and remains that way to this day. Valiquette taught Dubnyk the head trajectory technique that Quick has been using.

Burke helped with the mental aspect but he didn't change a lot on the technical side.

That's how I understand it as well.

For those who cares.

Any opinion on his pro player evaluation capacities while he was assistant GM/ goaltending coach with you?

I thought Burke wanted a management role with a team? Not sure about his evaluation capacities as nothing has stood out to me, but maybe some other poster can give you some better insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad