News Article: Sean Burke Interviewed for Arizona GM

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I truly hope Pierre McGuire gets the Arizona job. Partly because he’s interviewed for just about every GM job at some point over the past few decades, partly because Arizona is a dumpster fire of a franchise since forever but mostly because I can’t wait to see the reactions to his moves on this board and watch heads explode.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So what about St.Patrick who many seem to want as GM?

BTW, former 93 Cup winning Habs Rob Ramage is also in the org, he of DUI charges after death of former Hawks Keith Magnusson in a car crash.

never wanted Roy. I just don't care for people that hit women.

Ramage from MB's character stance does seem like a bad hire but as someone that in my 20's more then a handful of times I drove after drinking too much and many more times in my teens I got into cars with people that were way too drunk to drive. I was lucky nothing ever happened but I can't point the finger at someone that did the same thing as me but was not lucky or whatever you wish to call it. It's stupid to get hammered and drive but I can at least understand it. If MB wants to talk character it's not the best look again.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Some posters wont like it but for a GM that talks so much about character and then hires a guy with rumored multi abuse allegations just doesn't sit well with me. I never like to talk about players or staff's personal life but I really really hate to hear about that wife beater shit. Anyone that beats up on someone weaker then them is a f***ing coward to me.

Even if he's great at his job I won't miss him and would be glad to see him gone.

While I agree with you 100%, wasn't it back in 1997?

It's always possible he's changed since then. I would hope so anyway.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I truly hope Pierre McGuire gets the Arizona job. Partly because he’s interviewed for just about every GM job at some point over the past few decades, partly because Arizona is a dumpster fire of a franchise since forever but mostly because I can’t wait to see the reactions to his moves on this board and watch heads explode.

I never understood why Pierre or even Oclyzk are interviewed.

It's nice that you can analyze a game from the bench or as a color commentator. Fantastic. I know they have experiencing coaching and all that but its so long ago.

These guys should not be considered. They haven't managed this type of stress, personnel or in depth hockey strategy in decades.

It's fun as a fan but why are they even interviewed?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Some posters wont like it but for a GM that talks so much about character and then hires a guy with rumored multi abuse allegations just doesn't sit well with me. I never like to talk about players or staff's personal life but I really really hate to hear about that wife beater shit. Anyone that beats up on someone weaker then them is a f***ing coward to me.

Even if he's great at his job I won't miss him and would be glad to see him gone.
Wow! Never heard this. Sean Burke is a wife beater.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Pierre McGuire knows hockey and the players as well as anyone. The question I would have, can he listen to others? He often says 'I told ya' on air, a gm needs a strong group around him, coaches, scouts, management, other staff, how would that go over?

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre McGuire knows hockey and the players as well as anyone. The question I would have, can he listen to others? He often says 'I told ya' on air, a gm needs a strong group around him, coaches, scouts, management, other staff, how would that go over?

He would need to be well-surrounded. He keeps claiming that he knows a lot of people with a great expertise around the league. He prides himself on his connections in the hockey world -- we'd get to find out if they are real.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
he was charged. The alleged part was about previous. He's a piece of shit in my book, same for anyone that defends him or anyone that does this. To me it's simple, never hit a woman.

Dispatcher call says Burke beat wife before
Easy there, Galahad. A woman attacks you with a knife or a blunt instrument, what are you going to do? Stand there and take it. In the very article you posted, it states that his wife was also issued a citation. Yeah, in most cases, you don't hit a woman but to paraphrase Bill Burr but all women in all situations? Go ahead and mark me down as a POS in your book of Leviticus

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
He would need to be well-surrounded. He keeps claiming that he knows a lot of people with a great expertise around the league. He prides himself on his connections in the hockey world -- we'd get to find out if they are real.
I believe he would surround himself well but would he listen to them? Don't know the answer, just don't believe the 'I told ya' stuff would go over well.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Meh? Pro scouting has been the bright spot under MB, it’s amateur scouting that’s been meh or rather horrendous.

Alzner, Ott, King, Schlemko, Peca, Niemi, Kinkaid, Streit, Semin...

As I said, our pro scouting in the West is good, but in the East/goalies...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe he would surround himself well but would he listen to them? Don't know the answer, just don't believe the 'I told ya' stuff would go over well.

Yeah, he's full of himself. He'd have to be a lot more contrite than he's showing on the radio.

Reactions: jaffy27

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

This was my first thought as well when I saw the name in the title. Agree completely.

Reactions: montreal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What? You mean the same pro scouting that signed off on the acquisitions of Schlemko, Kincaid, King, Parenteau, Martinson, Ott Drewiske, ,Flynn, Semin...i could go on and on. Or the same pro scouting that finally helped solve our center ice problem with Drouin? They’ve been complete and utter garbage...along with our amateur scouts which I am not buying that they have changed.
Ok here we go again...

IMO pro-scouting like amateur scouting is a transactional function / identification of talent - team building is the primary purview and responsibility of the GM not scouts (be it pro or amateur).

All those transactional acquisitions in bold cost little to nothing of value give up by Habs, the transactional acquisitions highlighted below are lopsided in favor of Habs - IMO 5-years post is a good period to assess value of deals:
- Weise for Diaz
- Gorges for 2nd rounder
- Petry for 2nd + mid rounder
- Mitchell + Flynn for 6th rounder
- Danault for Fleischman + Weise
- Weber for Subban
- Byron waiver wire pick up for free
- IMHO the oft maligned Drouin for Sergachev deal still needs another 1-2 years before it can be truly assessed. I suspect the chemistry with Suzuki will yield long term dividends
- Pacioretty deal - for consistency will need to wait a couple of years for final assessment

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He was looking promising as a GM a while ago, wasn't he in a relevant position with hockey Canada at some point?

Yup. As it says in the Tweet in the OP, he served as Hockey Canada GM from 2016-2019. He was mostly in charge of Team Canada at the Spengler Cup. And I believe he was the GM of Team Canada at the 2018 Olympics where there was no NHL participation.

Reactions: a55p2

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This makes sense. Burke should come with a realtively cheap price tag compared to other GMs, and thats probably something important to Arizona.

I think Burke did GM the Canadian national team at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad