Value of: Seabrook to Vancouver (zero retention on Chicago’s end) IF......

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks take on Seabrook’s contract in its entirety IF

1) Hawks take Eriksson and Gagner off our hands.

2)........I guess there is no number 2.

I believe that Chicago’s overall cap hit would go up after this, but those two contracts would come off the books a lot sooner.

My line of thinking is this from a Canucks standpoint. Even though the Seabrook contract is possibly the worst contract in the NHL right now, the Canucks need on defense is so severe, that accepting a bad contract on the right side defense might be necessary.

A washed up Seabrook is likely our 2nd best defensemen on our right side, as sad as that is.

With a few of our prospect forwards likely to make the team over the coming years, I think the Canucks can afford to part ways with Eriksson and Gagner, and instead, accept a bad contract in a position of far more necessity.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I could go either way on it. It would be kind of nice to just change things up for fans of both teams.

Reactions: COHawk

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Relax.

1. Nikita Tryamkin should be coming back in a year or two.
2. Canucks will likely be drafting a rhd at 7OA.
3. There's the option of free agency.
4. Would actually experiment putting Loui Eriksson as a right side d-man before pursuing this trade. haha.
5. Canucks should literally be open to trading for any other d-man -- if acquired, Brent Seabrook would have the longest contract on the team. And I feel that Chicago's the only place that he can hang his hat since he won them a few cups -- anywhere else, I think the fans turn on him.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Seabrook to Vancouver again, sighhhh.

First Eriksson has a NMC and so does Seabrook.

Second, they don't need an aging vet on D. Better options from FA or maybe try giving the young D they have a shot.

Third, Erikssons NMC turns into a modified trade clause in a couple, so he could be moved in the last two years of the contract. This is way better than being stuck with Seabrook for four before his modified trade kicks in.

At this point in Canucks development, its not exactly a disaster if they miss the playoffs and play the lottery again.

As for Chi they'd still need to replace Seabrook, and filling up more cap space than you move out doesn't exactly make that easy especially if they plan on the playoffs

Reactions: 405Exit

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Seriously, Brent Seabrook will never be traded. It's a non-starter no matter what any video game scenario presents itself here.

Long contract with a NTC, that's all anybody needs to know since Seabrook will never accept a trade away from the Hawks.

That being said, Seabrook isn't as bad as some suggest...well...putting it this way, he does have his moments where he plays great, and while those moments are few and far between, he still has them. To say he doesn't have value at this moment is absurd. He does. Granted he will be wasting cap space on the Hawks as a human pylon in about two years, he has considerable value to the Hawks no matter what anybody wants to think on top of three Cup rings.

One more Cup and the guys a certified lock for the HOF. You don't trade those guys away unless they ask for it.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Relax.

1. Nikita Tryamkin should be coming back in a year or two.
2. Canucks will likely be drafting a rhd at 7OA.
3. There's the option of free agency.
4. Would actually experiment putting Loui Eriksson as a right side d-man before pursuing this trade. haha.
5. Canucks should literally be open to trading for any other d-man -- if acquired, Brent Seabrook would have the longest contract on the team. And I feel that Chicago's the only place that he can hang his hat since he won them a few cups -- anywhere else, I think the fans turn on him.

:laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Deal does not make sense for Nucks. While they move the two contracts hate the most--it is the length of the deal for Seabrook that kills it for them and on the flip side--the two players heading to the windy city does not address their needs and hand cuffs them with the extra contract spot taken up. This is a rare deal where the deal neither helps either team and in fact slightly hurts both team

Seabrook is 33 and his contract is 6 more years

Seabrook cap hit 6.75 for 6 years

gagner cap hit 3.15 for 2
Erickson cap hit 6 for 4

Can the hawks even take on extra 2.35 a year right now for a 3rd line D man and C?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Canucks take on Seabrook’s contract in its entirety IF

1) Hawks take Eriksson and Gagner off our hands.

2)........I guess there is no number 2.

I believe that Chicago’s overall cap hit would go up after this, but those two contracts would come off the books a lot sooner.

My line of thinking is this from a Canucks standpoint. Even though the Seabrook contract is possibly the worst contract in the NHL right now, the Canucks need on defense is so severe, that accepting a bad contract on the right side defense might be necessary.

A washed up Seabrook is likely our 2nd best defensemen on our right side, as sad as that is.

With a few of our prospect forwards likely to make the team over the coming years, I think the Canucks can afford to part ways with Eriksson and Gagner, and instead, accept a bad contract in a position of far more necessity.
You're going to regret those last two years of Seebs deal when you're looking to start competing

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
On the flip side, if a compliance buyout is awarded, the Hawks still end up stuck with one of these two and the Canucks walk away clean.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd take Seabrook on, but if we do, we are committing to this "selling cap space" idea. We could, but we should be getting futures backwards. We're not competing, so shedding shorter and cheaper contracts to get a better play makes 0 sense to me.

What's Seabrooks contract worth to Chicago fans?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You're going to regret those last two years of Seebs deal when you're looking to start competing

The ONLY silver lining there would be if Seabrook is really starting to break down by then and he is now closer to home in BC, either he A) retires the last two years or B) Vancouver could buy him out as his second to last year his salary drops to $5m and down further to $4.5 the last year

c0fz9zF.jpg

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

This. There is a reason that even Benning has said they're only willing to to offer big money contracts for UFA's if they are on shorter terms(2-3 years). I would expect the same would apply to taking on cap dumps. The Canucks have two more years of Gagner and Eriksson, at which time Eriksson's NTC becomes a MNTC and his last two years go down to something like $5M total salary over the two years. They should be able to dump him on some budget team at that point if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad