Trade: [SEA/PHI] Jean Segura, James Pazos and Juan Nicasio for J.P. Crawford and Carlos Santana

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Mariners must’ve desperately wanted to get rid of Segura. Phillies significantly improve their defence by moving Hoskins back to first, significantly improve their pathetic left side infield production, add two bullpen arms to a weak group. And they do so without adding much payroll when they have boatloads to spend on free agents. This is going to be a good team and I love it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Segura wanted to be traded to the East Coast. Closer to family. Yankees were also discussing a deal when they received Paxson.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't understand what the Mariners are doing. Weren't they half-decent this year for the first time in like forever?

because there are too many teams in the AL better than they are. like i said before, they're the 3rd best team in their own division at best

no chance of getting past teams like BOS, NYY, or HOU and now you have OAK and TB on the up too. all are better teams than SEA. they became good at the wrong time

Reactions: Voight

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Kapler will probably have him catch one game and close the next. He constantly moves guy out of position because the #'s tell him to. Drive us in Philly crazy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's owed twice as much as Santana.

The point still stands. Segura @ 14M x 4 years is positive trade value. Carlos Santana @ 20M for 2 years is negative trade value. Phillies got the best player in the deal.

It's odd Seattle couldn't get back another good young player or prospect for taking him back to free up Rhys Hoskins at 1B for them. I guess Nicasio has negative trade value given his 9M contract for next season but his perhiperals were actually good.

This feels light for Seattle.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
If the Phillies spend some money on a closer like Robertson or Britton or Kimbrel(I wouldn’t pay that price) they’ll have a very deep pen.

FA closer
Seranthony
Neshek
Nicasio
Pazos
Hunter(please bounce back) could be traded yet.

All of Neshek, Nicasio, Hunter are free agents next year so they have flexibility to add a closer with roughly 26 million off the books from the pen next year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure what Seattle is doing on this one.

Same. This is a really, really bad looking deal for the Mariners.

A guy worth 5 WAR/150 GP over the past 3 years on a team-friendly deal for another 4 years through his prime plus two solid relief pitchers for one decent SS prospect and a negative value salary dump of an old DH on a bad contact? Gross.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Same. This is a really, really bad looking deal for the Mariners.

A guy worth 5 WAR/150 GP over the past 3 years on a team-friendly deal for another 4 years through his prime plus two solid relief pitchers for one decent SS prospect and a negative value salary dump of an old DH on a bad contact? Gross.
It's a mind-boggling deal. It makes sense that they're selling him since they're rebuilding, but it seems like Dipoto just took the quickest deal here instead of the right one. Don't know how Jean was in the locker room, but even if there are character issues they could have done a lot better.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's a mind-boggling deal. It makes sense that they're selling him since they're rebuilding, but it seems like Dipoto just took the quickest deal here instead of the right one. Don't know how Jean was in the locker room, but even if there are character issues they could have done a lot better.

I'm not going to speculate if there are any character issues or not, but this is the fourth time that he's been traded already. And he isn't even 30.

I think it's a horrible deal for Seattle, but Crawford could be an interesting post-hype guy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
When Mariners fans voted Segura to the ASG, it went to his head and he changed a lot. He’s not a very good teammate by the looks of things and he keeps getting moved around so there’s issues there.

There was a point when his Mariner teammates stopped following him on Instagram and then that altercation with Dee Gordon happened, and Dee is obviously loved in the room. Only Felix still follows Segura on Instagram now.

I’m happy we have JP over Segura now. Wasn’t a big fan at the time but I love this deal now. JP fits more inline with when the Mariners plan to compete as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00