Trade: [SEA/PHI] Jean Segura, James Pazos and Juan Nicasio for J.P. Crawford and Carlos Santana

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Dipoto is worst of all... M's sucks at drafting but they still give away all of their good players. I don't get this offseason from them.

its pretty simple. they realize that despite the talent they had, there were just too many teams in the AL that were better. hell, they're the 3rd best team in their own division at best. they became good again at the wrong time

no point in keeping those guys just to pay them and miss the playoffs. deal them, get some prospects back, and aim for a few seasons down the line.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Good buy low for the Mariners

Segura's been traded, what, four times now?
Jean Segura ranks in the top 25 in WAR over the last three seasons. His 13.0 WAR puts him ahead of George Springer, Anthony Rizzo, and Javier Baez for that span

Reactions: Voight

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
its pretty simple. they realize that despite the talent they had, there were just too many teams in the AL that were better. hell, they're the 3rd best team in their own division at best. they became good again at the wrong time

no point in keeping those guys just to pay them and miss the playoffs. deal them, get some prospects back, and aim for a few seasons down the line.

I get the logic behind that. It looks like this M's team will never be better than this Astros bunch (a given) or, now, the A's (yet again). It's just incredibly frustrating watching them get close to competitiveness and then just flush it all away. I might have been deceiving myself but it felt like they were building to something, even if it was only a fleeting WC appearance.

Once the ball started rolling with the Paxton trade, I guess there was no point holding back. Dumping him wasnt going to make a non-playoff bubble team better. I just dont trust this franchise to nail a hard reset and tank at all. Its hard to have watched several botched attempts to return to relevance (only to wind up in mediocrity) and think "yeah, we were getting better, but I think this time they know how to rebuild."

I suppose Haniger is next. Dirt cheap, going on 28. His value is never going to be higher than right now. May as well hang onto Seager and see if he can bounce back. Felix too, though who knows if he would actually want to leave.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Really can't be asking if any team is in the playoffs this early. Not with this FA class and potential trades. Not even winter meetings yet.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think they will be. Getting Segura will be good for the Phillies. The Mariners seem to be tearing it all up. Would be lucky to get 60 wins in 2019 the way things are going.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Jean Segura ranks in the top 25 in WAR over the last three seasons. His 13.0 WAR puts him ahead of George Springer, Anthony Rizzo, and Javier Baez for that span

Yeah, Segura is really underrated. I meant that since they're blowing up the team, they bought low on someone that was once a top three prospect in baseball. Maybe he'll be a post-hype guy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand what the Mariners are doing. Weren't they half-decent this year for the first time in like forever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad