Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Dennis Cholowski re-signs with the Kraken (1 year, $900k, two-way)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
No, don't you remember... he was the guy that made you say "Who?!?" when they drafted him in the expansion draft

Yeah that's a guy I definitely heard of.

former Detroit 1st round pick. He's still on'y 23, played between the AH' and MHL the past few years.

I'm super critical of what Seattle has done but Cholowski the good pick from Detroit... as opposed to others *cough* Flyers* cough*

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
former Detroit 1st round pick. He's still on'y 23, played between the AH' and MHL the past few years.

I'm super critical of what Seattle has done but Cholowski the good pick from Detroit... as opposed to others *cough* Flyers* cough*
Oh, the entire exchange was just a little fun with sarcasm.

But honestly, I think Cholowski is viewed as an AHL depth option that will fullfill their agreement with Charlotte.

Seattle has a few guys that are likely ahead of Choloski on the depth chart currently, but they probably expect to lose them if they try to assign them to the AHL. A lot of their planning was dictated by who they knew they would lose when they trim their roster, and it is likely the reason they passed on a few guys who seemed like no-brainers, like Clague from LA and a few others.

It's more than likely Twarynski, Cholowski and True were targeted for their likelyhood to pass through waivers, but still could be options to recall if the injury bug hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are they going to risk putting him on waivers?

Which D are actually going to be on the Kraken roster for opening night?

Reactions: banks

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Are they going to risk putting him on waivers?

Which D are actually going to be on the Kraken roster for opening night?

I think pre-camp, the expected locks would be

Giordano
Larsson
Dunn
Oleksiak
Soucy
Lauzon

and then H. Fleury, Borgen, C. Fleury and Cholowski competing for the 7/8 spot.

I expect them to carry 8 D while Gourde is on IR, unless they acquire another forward, or someone comes out of nowhere and really impresses.

I feel like Cholowski is the least likely to get claimed of their excess D men now, but of course that could change depending on how camp/pre-season goes.

Problem for Seattle is that they have a lot of guys that really fall into the 7th quality D and 13th quality forward that aren't waiver exempt and not really good enough for other teams to trade worth-while assets for, but good enough for other teams to want to pick up off of waivers to take a gamble on because they are better than the 7th D/13th forward of half the teams in the league.

Reactions: Kaibur

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think pre-camp, the expected locks would be

Giordano
Larsson
Dunn
Oleksiak
Soucy
Lauzon

and then H. Fleury, Borgen, C. Fleury and Cholowski competing for the 7/8 spot.

I expect them to carry 8 D while Gourde is on IR, unless they acquire another forward, or someone comes out of nowhere and really impresses.

I feel like Cholowski is the least likely to get claimed of their excess D men now, but of course that could change depending on how camp/pre-season goes.

Problem for Seattle is that they have a lot of guys that really fall into the 7th quality D and 13th quality forward that aren't waiver exempt and not really good enough for other teams to trade worth-while assets for, but good enough for other teams to want to pick up off of waivers to take a gamble on because they are better than the 7th D/13th forward of half the teams in the league.

Cholowski made Detroit a couple of times because of strong camps. So he usually does play very well early in the season which should be interesting. That he has two-way money is a pretty good indicator they will try to put him down. Kind of unfortunate, I was always hopeful he would get a better chance, Blashill just really didn't like the guy. I guess we will have to see how things unfold in Seattle, it doesn't seem like he has a big opportunity there either.

Hard working guy that the room likes a lot, all of the Detroit guys seemed to have positive things to say. Needs to get a hell of a lot more assertive, I had always hoped the next stop would jump start Dennis. He has a lot of tools, he needs to start playing like this might be his last NHL game, because honestly he is to that point now.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Cholowski made Detroit a couple of times because of strong camps. So he usually does play very well early in the season which should be interesting. That he has two-way money is a pretty good indicator they will try to put him down. Kind of unfortunate, I was always hopeful he would get a better chance, Blashill just really didn't like the guy. I guess we will have to see how things unfold in Seattle, it doesn't seem like he has a big opportunity there either.

Hard working guy that the room likes a lot, all of the Detroit guys seemed to have positive things to say. Needs to get a hell of a lot more assertive, I had always hoped the next stop would jump start Dennis. He has a lot of tools, he needs to start playing like this might be his last NHL game, because honestly he is to that point now.

It will be a uphill battle for him for sure in Seattle.

Seattle is in a peculiar situation in that you never hope for injuries, but the moment their entire D-core is healthy, they are going to lose someone , either via trade or waivers. None of their top 9 D are waiver exempt and it is very unlikely any of them would make it through waivers if they tried.

One thing Cholowski has going for him is if Seattle does lose someone to waivers, he is likely the first option to be recalled if anyone gets hurt. Not a great situation, but a silver lining none the less.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
How did he re-sign with the Kraken exactly?

RFA requirements to reach UFA status have to be viewed as am entity for it to make sense.

Think of re-sign as a verb, and RFA obligations as the entity the player is obligated to, not the team he is signing with.

So Cholowski re-signed to his RFA contract requirements WITH Seattle.

If that still doesn't make sense, and you would like another explanation, then I will remind you that the NHL has been run by Gary Bettman for 25+ years

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
From the Coyotes, how about Cam Dineen and '22 4th round pick for Cholowski?

Coyotes have a roster spot (probably 2 currently) open on their defense to give Cholowski playing time.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Coyotes have a roster spot (probably 2 currently) open on their defense to give Cholowski playing time.

Gotta think Francis would make that trade if offered, but I sorta doubt Arizona offers that.

If everyone stays healthy in Seattle's Francis will probably be looking to move a better piece than Cholowski, so it might benefit AZ to hold off a bit to see what is available closer to the mandatory roster cuts.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Good for him. My wife works with his mom so thats nice to hear for the family that he'll be close to home.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

and Columbus *cough*

as for OP... decent signing... could be a late bloomer

Reactions: banks, BHD and abo9

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Just claim the kid for (sort of) free off waivers if he comes available. Arizona will have to pay a small fee but they don't have to send any people or picks Seattle's way.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Figure skaters wish they could skate with Cholo's grace. Too bad he has brain the size of a quarter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad