GDT: SEA @ COL | 7:30pm MT | Game 7 Emergency

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
While I know realistically speaking you can't just go for it, every single year as there are not enough resources to do so.

I also believe that every year in your window you should at very minimum giving it a "college try" every year. Because who knows maybe you go on a run.

This is where I'm having the problem with CMac this season. He didn't even try, and it just feels like a completely wasted season in the prime Cup years.

You can't tell me that adding Nieto, Eller and JJ and completely ignoring the biggest hole on the roster for an entire year is giving it a fair shot.

CMac shit the bed and took away any realistic shot at any lengthy playoff run by ignoring significant issues within the roster.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You can't tell me that adding Nieto, Eller and JJ and completely ignoring the biggest hole on the roster for an entire year is giving it a fair shot.

CMac shit the bed and took away any realistic shot at any lengthy playoff run by ignoring significant issues within the roster.
There are two possibilities here. Either CMac/Sac thought that those additions would be good enough, and were hopeful that Landy was going to be healthy. Which would've been extremely naive, and it was. I don't want to believe that.

The second possibility is that they knew Landy was FUBAR, and didn't think it was a prime chance to win no matter what they do. So, they kinda did "something" to please the team and fans. But it didn't really do either, because the team expected more and the fans sure as hell expected more. But I guess totally standing pat and punting on the season would've been even worse.

The latter option is better. It has its own problems regarding trust between the FO and the players/fans. But at least you would know they are on top of things. The first option would be horrible.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't believe for a second they thought Lars Eller was the last cog a repeat run. They just tried to get some semblance of depth at center and called it a day. I believe them when they said they explored other options (no way did they not inquire about Henrique) but they ultimately decided that this was not an all-in year. Given the fact they likely knew Landeskog would not play and that Makar wasn't anywhere near 100% I suppose this may have been the prudent move. I don't know...letting career seasons from MacKinnon and Rantanen slip by still feels like a big mistake, but I maintain their big error was not addressing the 2C problem in the offseason like they should have.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
While I know realistically speaking you can't just go for it, every single year as there are not enough resources to do so.

I also believe that every year in your window you should at very minimum giving it a "college try" every year. Because who knows maybe you go on a run.

This is where I'm having the problem with CMac this season. He didn't even try, and it just feels like a completely wasted season in the prime Cup years.

In general this is how I feel. It is pretty common that a 1st year GM taking over a good team fumbles the first year and normally that mistake is being too conservative. I think we just had that year happen. Hopefully, like JBB, he learns his lesson and pushes next year harder.

My biggest issue with this whole plan this year, even with Landy injured, is this was the last year of ~6+m of excess value on MacK. Next year they are playing him close to market rate and with this team already having depth issues, that will be hurt even more. This was the last crystal clear year where they'll have room to support the core. From here until the core ages out (~2-3 years), it will be incredibly difficult to not only bring in quality depth, but retain depth. Adding to that, from here forward, each year, there is a bigger name decision on the horizon. This summer, we have Byram and his contract. Next summer, we have Toews. The summer after that we have Rants and George (maybe Byram as well again). Each of those chunks are realistically 3+m per year. Which is as much, if not more, than the cap will go up on average.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't believe for a second they thought Lars Eller was the last cog a repeat run. They just tried to get some semblance of depth at center and called it a day. I believe them when they said they explored other options (no way did they not inquire about Henrique) but they ultimately decided that this was not an all-in year. Given the fact they likely knew Landeskog would not play and that Makar wasn't anywhere near 100% I suppose this may have been the prudent move. I don't know...letting career seasons from MacKinnon and Rantanen slip by still feels like a big mistake, but I maintain their big error was not addressing the 2C problem in the offseason like they should have.
Yup if they prioritized 2C over one of keeping EJ or singing Manson/Lehky/Nuke. This season likely has a different trajectory. It may have still failed, but it would have been a different path with a better chance of succeeding. Is what it is now. Just gotta move forward and learn from this season. Which my fear is they won't and just lay the blame on injuries... but that will be confirmed or denied by their actions this summer.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There are two possibilities here. Either CMac/Sac thought that those additions would be good enough, and were hopeful that Landy was going to be healthy. Which would've been extremely naive, and it was. I don't want to believe that.

The second possibility is that they knew Landy was FUBAR, and didn't think it was a prime chance to win no matter what they do. So, they kinda did "something" to please the team and fans. But it didn't really do either, because the team expected more and the fans sure as hell expected more. But I guess totally standing pat and punting on the season would've been even worse.

The latter option is better. It has its own problems regarding trust between the FO and the players/fans. But at least you would know they are on top of things. The first option would be horrible.
Hate to say it but I think option 1 is way more likely. I think they sat and hoped on something that wasn't likely. Landy returning.

Their moves read like they thought they were going to get a big add for free in Landy.

If this is the case, it's really bad on their part.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The second Kadri was not coming back, 2C should have been the priority until it was resolved. It was the clear and obvious hole in the roster and CMac avoided it like the plague for an entire year. Hopefully it gets resolved this summer, can't go into next year with the same f***ing problem.

Yup if they prioritized 2C over one of keeping EJ or singing Manson/Lehky/Nuke. This season likely has a different trajectory. It may have still failed, but it would have been a different path with a better chance of succeeding. Is what it is now. Just gotta move forward and learn from this season. Which my fear is they won't and just lay the blame on injuries... but that will be confirmed or denied by their actions this summer.
I fear they will blame injuries as well and not do much.

I have no faith that CMac has a clue what's going on and what is needed to make the team better.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Sakic and CMac said that they tried to add more better pieces but players like Kane just decided to jump the boat and go to the Rags.

Divorce rate here in USA is pretty high. I think it's like 40 to 50 percent. We might have to wait a year or two to see if Panarin wants to join Avs if he divorces his spouse.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sakic and CMac said that they tried to add more better pieces but players like Kane just decided to jump the boat and go to the Rags.

Divorce rate here in USA is pretty high. I think it's like 40 to 50 percent. We might have to wait a year or two to see if Panarin wants to join Avs if he divorces his spouse.

Breadman is in the midst of a very serious decline, he's 31 and unlikely to rebound at this point, which makes the whole song and dance about getting him even stranger. They wasted his prime during a "rebuild" that netted them two middling wingers.

Besides which, he don't wanna play anywhere else. And by all means, they can KEEP him.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad