Scuderi being honest

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
He is a liability every time he touches the puck, has no physical game, gives all the space in the world to forward to attack and refuses to even take two strides to play up on the forward. He's not a guy you want on your team pure and simple. You don't pay a guy $3.25mm a year to be a bottom pairing dman. The sooner he is off this team the better because there is literally no benefit to him being here

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He is a liability every time he touches the puck, has no physical game, gives all the space in the world to forward to attack and refuses to even take two strides to play up on the forward. He's not a guy you want on your team pure and simple. You don't pay a guy $3.25mm a year to be a bottom pairing dman. The sooner he is off this team the better because there is literally no benefit to him being here

He also has been in that position on two cup winners playing legitimate defensive minutes. I don't like the guy either at the moment, but at the same time we have to acknowledge that a lot of the defensive issues last year have to do with Bylsma's system as well.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I think Scuds will have somewhat of a bounce back year. Give him Ehrhoff and a non Bylsma system and he could build back enough value to dump him for a pick. Not saying he'll ever live up to his cap hit, but he could still be a useful player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't know if the new system will fit him greatly, but it can't be a worse fit than Bylsma's. It's become a bit cartoonish how bad he was last year here. Was he bad? Absolutely. Was he historically, unsalvageably bad? Absolutely not.

Ignore the cap crunch and he's not getting the same overload of criticism. I want him gone too, because it's hard to ignore the cap crunch, but he's not Josef Melichar. Not even close.

The fact that he can admit he was lousy already puts him above Orpik. I think he has a bounce-back season...not to the value he was in his prime, but enough to make him a legitimate fairly priced asset.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know if the new system will fit him greatly, but it can't be a worse fit than Bylsma's. It's become a bit cartoonish how bad he was last year here. Was he bad? Absolutely. Was he historically, unsalvageably bad? Absolutely not.

Ignore the cap crunch and he's not getting the same overload of criticism. I want him gone too, because it's hard to ignore the cap crunch, but he's not Josef Melichar. Not even close.

The fact that he can admit he was lousy already puts him above Orpik. I think he has a bounce-back season...not to the value he was in his prime, but enough to make him a legitimate fairly priced asset.

The cap crunch is made worse by the fact that we have 3 players stuck behind him on the depth chart who could do the same job for 1/3rd of the cost. When Maatta and DP are healthy, that number jumps to 5. These are guys who have a future here, and who need playing time. Even if he's not a problem on the ice, he's a problem for the cap and for the development of our prospects. We simply do not need him even if he's playing well.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
We have six better defensemen than scuderi. No reason for him to play

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I agree that we have 6 d-men who are better and deserve to play above him, but given the fact that we have him and his cap hit (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's untradable), he might as well get some minutes. And honestly, when the injury bug inevitably hits this team, I wouldn't be surprised to see us needing Scuderi's services. Especially with Maatta being out to start the season.

The way I see it, his roster spot is his to lose. Do I think Despres and Bortuzzo are better defensemen? Yes. Do I think they deserve to be above Scuderi on the depth chart? Yes. But they should prove it first under MJ's new system. Give all the guys a fair shot, including Scuds, and when the young guys consistently outplay him, drop him down (and eventually off) the depth chart.

edit: Just to be clear, I don't think Scuderi's a good d-man anymore. But like the other guy said, I still think he can be useful. I see Scuderi as a cheaper, less terrible Mike Komisarek. Mostly useless, but could be a decent plug when dealing with injuries.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
We could easily trade Scuds to the Isles. Their blueline is terribad and w/ no 1st rounder this year they'll have to do everything possible to make the POs.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I agree that we have 6 d-men who are better and deserve to play above him, but given the fact that we have him and his cap hit (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's untradable), he might as well get some minutes. And honestly, when the injury bug inevitably hits this team, I wouldn't be surprised to see us needing Scuderi's services. Especially with Maatta being out to start the season.

The way I see it, his roster spot is his to lose. Do I think Despres and Bortuzzo are better defensemen? Yes. Do I think they deserve to be above Scuderi on the depth chart? Yes. But they should prove it first under MJ's new system. Give all the guys a fair shot, including Scuds, and when the young guys consistently outplay him, drop him down (and eventually off) the depth chart.

edit: Just to be clear, I don't think Scuderi's a good d-man anymore. But like the other guy said, I still think he can be useful. I see Scuderi as a cheaper, less terrible Mike Komisarek. Mostly useless, but could be a decent plug when dealing with injuries.

this is horrendous. i want to vomit

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
He also has been in that position on two cup winners playing legitimate defensive minutes. I don't like the guy either at the moment, but at the same time we have to acknowledge that a lot of the defensive issues last year have to do with Bylsma's system as well.

Bylsmas system was an issue especially for the defenders. That said, the stuff I listed falls squarely on scuderi and not a system. I don't see how going from one fast tempo open system to another will help him.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Given his cap hit of 3.375M, and his performance last year... Yes he would be a hard sell in a trade right now. And while we on HFB would trade him for a bag of pucks, management isn't going to trade him unless they can get SOMETHING regardless of what it would be of value back. Now I am unsure of the rules with current CBA signed contracts and salary retention. But if we were to retain 1M of his salary, which wouldnt be that bad of a burden. Then at 2.375 I am sure we could find a time at least in need of a vet to lead youth. Someone like Buffalo or Edmonton to take him as a cheapish mentor.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He was actually good prior to his injury. Looking at the Post Game Threads for those games seem to agree with me.

+ The D - Everyone was good out there. We missed Letang's skillset back there but they locked it down for most of the game. I forgot how solid Scuderi was too.

Rob Scuderi showed what we have been missing.

+ Defense in general: I know we played against 2 bad teams, but it still looks good. They cover up the play well and support one another. That is where we've fallen apart in the past. I really like what I'm seeing. Scuds REALLY makes this defense nice. He does so many small things in the d-zone to help his partner. Even when he makes a mistake he covers it very well. I love seeing him back there. Paul Martin is another guy playing really damn good.

+ Martin and Scuderi, both incredibly solid

+Scuderi, I like that he's back and he made some nice plays. Actually Martin and the defense generally looked solid didn't fall asleep too much against a weak team.

+ Defense: Scuds, Orpik, Martin, Maatta, and Bort are playing tremendous defense. Lots of season left,but you have to like what you see. I don't know who's making this happen, but keep it going! Good responsibility in the d-zone. Great gaps. Great urgency. Heads on a swivel. I love it.

+ Rob Scuderi: The little things he does in the d-zone are awesome. He will do anything he can do protect the d-zone. We've needed that desperation. That's something this team really lacks - desperation. Scuds brings it. It's what makes him good. He plays every shift as if it were Game 7. Not more talented than any hockey player, but his passion and desire separates him.

+ Scuderi, mostly incredibly solid again.

Scuderi. I really missed this guy and it's he's making it easy to remember why. Very smart player.

Niskanen, he and Scuderi were pretty reliable.++

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I've always thought Scuderi was the easy choice as the defenseman that should be moved, but he can be the vocal leader in the locker room. Also with the rumors that Paul Martin isn't happy with the overhaul and is an upcoming UFA. It may take away from our current group but trading Martin instead of Scuderi could have it's benefits.

Scuderi has been an essential piece on 2 Stanley Cup teams and deserves a chance to rebound after a season where he missed a lot of time and played for Bylsma.

Paul Martin was mediocre in his first 2 seasons with the Penguins. Every summer he was a candidate to be traded, now that we fired Bylsma and traded his good friend James Neal, he will likely walk next season so I say trade him now for a quality asset, and let Scuderi stay and have Despres take the spot.

Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

Despres-Letang
Maatta-Ehrhoff
Scuderi-Bortuzzo

We can survive with that defense, and use Martin to add either a top 6 winger, quality forward prospect or a 1st round pick.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Scuderi and Martin should have no impact on one another. Scuderi simply is not good enough to fill the role Martin fills for us. He was able to play on a completely defensive line here 5 years ago, and he was able to play for a completely defensive team in LA. He cannot play on a line with Letang behind Sid or Geno. He just does not fit what our team does on the top lines. He is 100% dead weight as soon as our team has the puck, and that has nothing to do with regression. He has always been a detriment to his team offensively.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He was a decent player with Letang up until he got injured. Im willing to give him until Maatta is healthy, to increase his trade value ;)

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
this is horrendous. i want to vomit

what's your deal man? Is there ever any insight to your posts?

Are you saying that even if Scuderi outplays Despres and Bortuzzo in preseason under MJ's new system that he still doesn't deserve to be above them on the depth chart? As promising as Despres is, he's far from fully developed.

and in the case of injuries...are you trying to say that you'd rather have Samuelsson come in than Scuderi?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
what's your deal man? Is there ever any insight to your posts?

Are you saying that even if Scuderi outplays Despres and Bortuzzo in preseason under MJ's new system that he still doesn't deserve to be above them on the depth chart? As promising as Despres is, he's far from fully developed.

and in the case of injuries...are you trying to say that you'd rather have Samuelsson come in than Scuderi?

yes, I would rather have Samuelsson, Harrington and Dumoulin fight for a free spot than have Scuderi. Factor in the 3 million in cap space it saves us and I don't even see how you can argue otherwise with a straight face.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Paul Martin can skate, Scuderi can't. He lost half a step when he didn't have half a step to lose.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Scuderi has been an essential piece on 2 Stanley Cup teams and deserves a chance to rebound after a season where he missed a lot of time and played for Bylsma.

He was absolutely not essential to the pens cup run. He made the same mistakes during that run as he did all of last year. He nearly cost us the caps series himself by constantly letting their forwards skate to the circle and slot and shoot.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Scuds was not honest. He should have said, I stunk and was the worse D on the team last year and the Pens have at least 8 other D that should be playing ahead of him. Until he makes these statements then and only then you can say he is honest.

Scuds is untradeable period. Who wants a 35 year old D who can't play at a 3 yr. cap hit of 3.2MM per year. He must be bought out, there is no other solution for him unless you believe in miracles.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Scuderi and Martin should have no impact on one another. Scuderi simply is not good enough to fill the role Martin fills for us. He was able to play on a completely defensive line here 5 years ago, and he was able to play for a completely defensive team in LA. He cannot play on a line with Letang behind Sid or Geno. He just does not fit what our team does on the top lines. He is 100% dead weight as soon as our team has the puck, and that has nothing to do with regression. He has always been a detriment to his team offensively.

Exactly. Even if Martin is dealt, that should have zero impact on the team's willingness to unload Scuderi. It's not like you need to keep him if Martin is dealt to play Martin's minutes. He's incapable of doing that.

Scuderi just isn't worth the cap hit, and he's just blocking better young players from playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad