GDT: [SCP R1 GM7] Dallas Stars vs. Calgary Flames - 8:30 PM CT (BSSW)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
But there was a big drop off the next season. During the bubble run, Khudobin played heroically for a career backup, but his numbers weren't anything super stellar. The system certainly helped pump him up, but the system doesn't account for things like this:
A graphic last night pegged Dobby's series against LV as the 4th highest save% the Stars have ever had. Conventional wisdom around here was he was great against the Flames, and a bit less so every series. His numbers weren't super stellar like Otter's this period, but they were pretty darn good. Yes, I think the D core was better than the one this year, which probably contributed.

For all those people talking about how the Stars were playing stifling 1990s defense, please justify that given 67 shots last night, and similar numbers all through the series, LOL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
A graphic last night pegged Dobby's series against LV as the 4th highest save% the Stars have ever had. Conventional wisdom around here was he was great against the Flames, and a bit less so every series. His numbers weren't super stellar like Otter's this period, but they were pretty darn good. Yes, I think the D core was better than the one this year, which probably contributed.

For all those people talking about how the Stars were playing stifling 1990s defense, please justify that given 67 shots last night, and similar numbers all through the series, LOL.

You're pulling stats from one of the best series the modern Stars have ever played. What about the rest of that playoffs?

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Against Vegas was Dobbys only really good series and frankly alot of his had to do with Vegas inability to generate high danger chances. They almost lost to the Canucks because of that and then lost to the Stars and the next year the Habs because Vegas was unable to generate goals the further they went into the playoffs.

Reactions: M88K and LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Either of us could look it up, but again, from memory, he was great in Calgary, not as good against very good offensive teams in COL and TB series and very good against LV. His overall sv % for the playoffs was .917, down from his .930, but that may not be all that unusual.

He was 18th among 42 goalies in the 2020 playoffs in SV%, and 19th in GAA.

Every series is unique, but he did best the other goalies, save Vaz, so he was good enough to win. The Stars were a faltering 4th seed that year (rather than a faltering 7th seed this year) and Bones really did open up the offense by activating D, which probably led to some chances against.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Looking back at Peterson's breakaway last night, didn't notice it was setup by Dellandrea. The kids played well. Just need a little more finish to their game. Peterson stopped on the breakaway and then Dellandrea had a wide open one timer from directly in the slot that he whiffed on in OT off a beauty setup by Miro.

Reactions: MBTendy

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Looking back at Peterson's breakaway last night, didn't notice it was setup by Dellandrea. The kids played well. Just need a little more finish to their game. Peterson stopped on the breakaway and then Dellandrea had a wide open one timer from directly in the slot that he whiffed on in OT off a beauty setup by Miro.
Dellandrea played like he hadn't been coached by Bowness all year.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

"Everyone played their hearts out"

We gave up like 70 shots.. Gurianov was sleeping, Seguin was sleeping, Robertson wasn't giving much he looked gased half the game, I donno man I didn't see much heart for the vast majority of that game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
At least Segs set up a goal before he went nappy nappy.

More seriously, going up 1-0 quickly seemed to set up the mentality of a 59 minute turtle, broken only by a few moments of offensive playmaking.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

"Everyone played their hearts out"

We gave up like 70 shots.. Gurianov was sleeping, Seguin was sleeping, Robertson wasn't giving much he looked gased half the game, I donno man I didn't see much heart for the vast majority of that game.

Guryanov definitely didn't think he was playing. He warmed up for like 6 minutes before he went off. Poor preparation on his behalf.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
At least Segs set up a goal before he went nappy nappy.

More seriously, going up 1-0 quickly seemed to set up the mentality of a 59 minute turtle, broken only by a few moments of offensive playmaking.

I think that was the game plan from the beginning, and getting an early goal only cemented that for the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad