GDT: [SCP R1 GM4] Dallas Stars vs. Calgary Flames - 8:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Otter looks solid and has to get some help; a coaching change for sure, Nill out and I wouldn’t shed a tear.

The game has changed and we’ve got kids now and coming in so let’s grow up Gaglardi; change isn’t a bad thing.

Reactions: DieselPig

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
That was more like what I thought the series was going to be like. Stars constantly under seige because Calgary is pretty much a better copy of the Stars. Oettinger is a legend, what a playoff performer. Was hoping to see more out of Roberston/Hintz but there is still time. I haven't seen the advanced stats but I feel like Heiskanen has played well. Stars bottom 9 forwards need a big revamp this summer.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Oh yeah, and thank you Captain my captain; Benn hasn’t done anything. Our top line hasn’t done much but when you only have one scoring line what do you expect.

Flames are keeping our 1st line quiet and our bottom 6 (Faksa, Raffl, Nemestikov and Kivi) has played with more passion than Benn, Seguin, Radulov.

Last edited:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Our kids (except Otter) have been quiet but I’m not going to put this on them and throw ‘em under the bus; it’s a good postseason experience for them at the least.

This f*ing Bones/Dino system has to go.

Reactions: DangeRouss

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Benn was an embarrassment tonight. Seems like he's given up trying to score and just wants to be a gloried Steve Ott.

Gaglardi needs to sit down with him during exits and tell Benn he's not being paid $10mil a year to be a pest. The dude had a sick wrist shot a few years back, that doesn't go away with age. Get a skills trainer and find your offense again this offseason. Work with Pavs or something.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Welp, the Flames finally showed up. We'll see if they can continue this into next game or maybe the Stars can find a step.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Do we break up the top line next game? I think you go into the game with two sets of lines but the offense is on a short leash. I think if they look terrible to start you break up the top line early.

Gurianov would be my scratch for Peterson.

Namestnikov needs more minutes. 15+

Hanley hasn’t been terrible and he’s surprisingly physical at times. I think maybe you insert Harley to give Dallas another good skater. It’s too bad we didn’t get Harley or Peterson a game at home. Now if they do check in they will be coming in to their first playoff game ever in maybe the rowdiest building in the league with a team that is jacked up.

There’s my morning novel from the toilet.

That last game really took all my positivity about the series away.

jwb

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Do we break up the top line next game? I think you go into the game with two sets of lines but the offense is on a short leash. I think if they look terrible to start you break up the top line early.

Hanley hasn’t been terrible and he’s surprisingly physical at times. I think maybe you insert Harley to give Dallas another good skater. It’s too bad we didn’t get Harley or Peterson a game at home. Now if they do check in they will be coming in to their first playoff game ever in maybe the rowdiest building in the league with a team that is jacked up.

jwb
You're not alone in losing positivity. We finally saw a Calgary team that stopped caring about macho BS, and we see why they finished so far ahead in the standings.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
In agreement with all of the above. It looked like the no. 2 seed vs the no. 7 seed. When the Stars play their best, they can match the Flames, but they still need a few breaks to go their way to win.

The dump outs weren't really Bone's system, it's just all they could do against a better and more motivated team.

I have a 50-50 chance of seeing the handshake line on Friday night, maybe more.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

jwb
I enjoyed your toilet novel!

I remember thinking there were points in the last quarter of the season where the top line was flat, it's probably just a natural slump and maybe some fatigue, but I'm amazed it took this long to split the top line up. It should have been tried long ago when the Stars realized the secondary scoring was lacking, and maybe experimenting with mixing the lineups could be used to boost some of our complementary forwards.

Not Starting Peterson and Harley and not trying out more rookies in legitimate roles... we've talked it to death all season but this is possibly where it really bites you.

Oettinger has been the best goalies in the entire playoffs, I've been so impressed with his play and I think he is the big x-factor that has made this series remotely competitive. He looks like prime Quick from his cup winning years, super calm, swallows everything, never panics, always in position, makes difficult stops look routine.

Benn has always amped up his game in the playoffs, he pretty found a fountain of youth in the last run. He looks cooked now though, he hasn't looked like a threat whatsoever.

Did anyone lose their mind a little bit when Bowness wouldn't pull Oettinger because it was a 4 on 4? His conservatism makes Barry Trotz look like a gambler, just infuriating.

This has been my couch novel, I've been traveling for the last couple of weeks so it's the first time I've really gotten to sit down and write much about the playoffs. In all fairness, I just didn't have much to say after the first two games where absolutely nothing happened except for Oettinger/Markstrom dominance, and didn't get to watch game 3, which I hear was a banger.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Playing Harley and Peterson probably doesn't make sense to Bones. It will look like they are conceding the series putting guys into their first playoff games when it is on the line.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Playing Harley and Peterson probably doesn't make sense to Bones. It will look like they are conceding the series putting guys into their first playoff games when it is on the line.
Plus Bowness has made a point of saying Peterson and Harley aren't good in "heavy" games. Bowness sees this series as a physical battle, so I don't see him adding those two until the Stars are in an elimination game and he's out of other ideas.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As far as getting playoff experience, putting two guys into their first game in an elimination game would probably not be the best way to do it, both for them, and the perception that he was giving up as a coach. If there is an injury that necessitates it, i.e., if Haki was more severely injured last night, I could see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad