News Article: Scotty Bowman

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Pretty much agree with what Scotty says. I figured this was year 2 and that next year would start the actual "build" of rebuild versus that last year and a bit of tearing down things and cutting loose players who don't have a future here.

Reactions: David D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
"To have a good team and keep it together takes a lot of gymnastics. Steve’s not impatient. It takes five years to build a team and he’s only in his second year. Look what he did in Tampa Bay. Those are his players and look how well they’ve done.”

Oh great another homer apologist. :eyeroll:

Seriously though, very interesting read, thanks for passing this along.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
"To have a good team and keep it together takes a lot of gymnastics. Steve’s not impatient. It takes five years to build a team and he’s only in his second year. Look what he did in Tampa Bay. Those are his players and look how well they’ve done.”

Oh great another homer apologist. :eyeroll:

Seriously though, very interesting read, thanks for passing this along.

Yeah nothing really earth shattering here, things we know. Technically Brian Lawton picked Hedman and Stamkos. Feaster picked Killorn in terms of holdover pieces. But I think we all trust Stevie.

He is also really ending year 3 of making executive decisions but I understand why nobody is going to use the real life timeline versus the 4/19/19 date pushed publicly. When people push the 5 year timeline, I think we were always looking at a long rebuild. Devellano has confirmed the Ilitch's were told as much a few times when they kept pursuing the playoff streak.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
On the greatest player he saw

“It’s hard to compare players from different eras because the game has changed so much over the years, but I still have to say it’s Gordie Howe. Here’s a player who played so long at such a high level and who made the All-Star team, first or second team, for 21 years. You have to look at his offense, defense, and versatility. Plus, nobody was tougher than Gordie Howe. That is a pretty tough combination to beat.”

Though I did not watch him, I agree.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Technically Brian Lawton picked Hedman and Stamkos.

Listen, I'd trust my 14-year-old chihuahua to make those choices.

But to address the larger issue, I was making a tongue in cheek commentary about patience over the 5 year window. Bowman laid out that's the earliest you rebuild and it's something most of us have been aware of. Still, I think it's worth pointing out for some that the world's greatest hockey minds see the timeline and results can't be rushed.

We're better off today then two years ago. I'm thankful for that, even if we're not seeing it on the ice yet.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Listen, I'd trust my 14-year-old chihuahua to make those choices.

But to address the larger issue, I was making a tongue in cheek commentary about patience over the 5 year window. Bowman laid out that's the earliest you rebuild and it's something most of us have been aware of. Still, I think it's worth pointing out for some that the world's greatest hockey minds see the timeline and results can't be rushed.

We're better off today then two years ago. I'm thankful for that, even if we're not seeing it on the ice yet.

I don't really quibble over the five years thing. What I'm not big on is wholly ignoring the fact that we were picking top10 two years before Yzerman showed up, and that Yzerman likely had some input that second year considering he wasn't technically working for TB any more. Honestly, it's why you don't move on from a GM once you start rebuilding and before they really have a chance to finish it. Every time you do you have the new guy think he's starting from scratch. So they do.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
How I wish he was still a consultant for us. Watching Holland, Bowman, Nill and the rest of the brain trust discussing the Schneider deal will always be a cool moment to remember from the good ol' days

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't really quibble over the five years thing. What I'm not big on is wholly ignoring the fact that we were picking top10 two years before Yzerman showed up, and that Yzerman likely had some input that second year considering he wasn't technically working for TB any more. Honestly, it's why you don't move on from a GM once you start rebuilding and before they really have a chance to finish it. Every time you do you have the new guy think he's starting from scratch. So they do.

I am sure that was a part of his pitch. But yeah I view us having just finished year 3 with him making controlling decisions. But that is because from about August on of the year he stepped down from Tampa I kept hearing that was already the case. I have heard from multiple people that Holland went to fire Blashill after our rough start in October of his last GM season and was going to install Bylsma only to be overruled by Yzerman. So they can push that we had no contact but people were talking about them coming in and out of metro Detroit restaurants all year, he was flying around the world watching players that had no chance to play with Tampa.

It is worth noting since both Zadina and Rasmussen had people that were lower on them around the league that perhaps Yzerman doesn't really view them as top 10 picks.

He clearly feels we need a very deep rebuild and has directed us into a deeper one. I can see the logic, but it is a really dangerous path. Maybe we luck into Wright and this whole things works out, but he does need to figure a way to pull us out of this tailspin in my opinion. People can have all the patience and love for him in the world, but in reality we need to start seeing a lot more progress here over the next couple years or Stevie is in big trouble at some point.

He has scrubbed the cap a bit, something frankly any GM was going to do, even his predecessor seemed committed to that in his last two years too. It is a methodical build, but we are to the point where this thing goes up or you are staring at what Phoenix, Buffalo and Edmonton have gone through to name a few in the recent decades. I will watch all the games, but being the worst team in hockey for a decade really isn't a good idea, it is time to start getting tangibly better, evaluation time is over, time for the bigger fixes in my opinion. Next year is the last year I am mildly okay with trying to have the best lottery odds. I know Bedard is good, but at some point I don't care to look at that, we have to surge forward and get better or this loser culture will take this team for a while in my opinion.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Next year is the last year I am mildly okay with trying to have the best lottery odds. I know Bedard is good, but at some point I don't care to look at that, we have to surge forward and get better or this loser culture will take this team for a while in my opinion.
I'm fine with the slow and steady approach. But there definitely needs to be at least one significant add in free agency by September 2022. Like you said, eventually all the fun coupons need to materialize into a developing roster, and ownership and management need to be on the same page to open the check book a bit once the kids show some promise.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I am sure that was a part of his pitch. But yeah I view us having just finished year 3 with him making controlling decisions. But that is because from about August on of the year he stepped down from Tampa I kept hearing that was already the case. I have heard from multiple people that Holland went to fire Blashill after our rough start in October of his last GM season and was going to install Bylsma only to be overruled by Yzerman. So they can push that we had no contact but people were talking about them coming in and out of metro Detroit restaurants all year, he was flying around the world watching players that had no chance to play with Tampa.

It is worth noting since both Zadina and Rasmussen had people that were lower on them around the league that perhaps Yzerman doesn't really view them as top 10 picks.

He clearly feels we need a very deep rebuild and has directed us into a deeper one. I can see the logic, but it is a really dangerous path. Maybe we luck into Wright and this whole things works out, but he does need to figure a way to pull us out of this tailspin in my opinion. People can have all the patience and love for him in the world, but in reality we need to start seeing a lot more progress here over the next couple years or Stevie is in big trouble at some point.

He has scrubbed the cap a bit, something frankly any GM was going to do, even his predecessor seemed committed to that in his last two years too. It is a methodical build, but we are to the point where this thing goes up or you are staring at what Phoenix, Buffalo and Edmonton have gone through to name a few in the recent decades. I will watch all the games, but being the worst team in hockey for a decade really isn't a good idea, it is time to start getting tangibly better, evaluation time is over, time for the bigger fixes in my opinion. Next year is the last year I am mildly okay with trying to have the best lottery odds. I know Bedard is good, but at some point I don't care to look at that, we have to surge forward and get better or this loser culture will take this team for a while in my opinion.

What exactly do you think Yzerman should do?

Most of the posters don't understand or are impatient with the way Yzerman is approaching the rebuild. Most of them wanted Blashill gone, Yzerman signed him. But Yzerman wants to build a contender, which will hopefully bring us the cup, while the posters here want a pretender.
The way people here suggest how the team should take a shape would in the best case reach a second round and then the rebuild again. Yzerman wants to build a contender. Will he succeed? Maybe, maybe not. I will criticise him if I think he does things wrong.

I just want to make clear I did not criticise your opinion as the posters here usually think they get criticised if you ask them or reply to their post.

Reactions: Raffalski

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What exactly do you think Yzerman should do?

Most of the posters don't understand or are impatient with the way Yzerman is approaching the rebuild. Most of them wanted Blashill gone, Yzerman signed him. But Yzerman wants to build a contender, which will hopefully bring us the cup, while the posters here want a pretender.
The way people here suggest how the team should take a shape would in the best case reach a second round and then the rebuild again. Yzerman wants to build a contender. Will he succeed? Maybe, maybe not. I will criticise him if I think he does things wrong.

I just want to make clear I did not criticise your opinion as the posters here usually think they get criticised if you ask them or reply to their post.

Well I think if he is going the true contender route he cashes in on Bertuzzi and Hronek. But it is a dangerous approach. I flip them to get another couple first rounds picks and and young NHL players they like. You then go out in free agency. I think he might be setting up to do just that, but next year is big here. The plan cannot be to be bad into eternity, also if we see steps forward and big promise in the Seider's and Raymond's of the team maybe we use some of the stockpiled future assets and prospects to speed up the rebuild. But for me the Wright year is the last year I am really allowing us to be intentionally bad. He will have significantly reshaped the organization at that point and the next 13 to 14ish months are huge in what we become under Yzerman.

To be clear I trust him, but I think it is time for the aggressive side of him to come out. We need to start plugging holes and getting better, we have shed a bunch of the driftwood and acquired a ton of assets and potential talent. It is about time to start getting significantly better if we are ever going to be that contender, it takes a little while to become one of those too for most teams so we are still probably 5 to 7 years off of that if all goes well. Though Wright can shorten that a lot, he will be a top 3 player in the league in my opinion.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, I obviously agree with Bowman. I said when Yzerman was announced as our new GM that I would give him 5 years to get us to the point where we were ready to go on a playoff run and open our window to compete for a Cup. He's shown what that looks like in Tampa. That Panthers-Bolts series is insane, so much talent on the ice for both teams. This is year 2 for Yzerman, we all know Holland had no interest at all in ceding any control and Yzerman doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would try to influence anything before he was officially announced as our new GM.

So 2 down and 3 to go. Trust the Yzerplan.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah nothing really earth shattering here, things we know. Technically Brian Lawton picked Hedman and Stamkos. Feaster picked Killorn in terms of holdover pieces. But I think we all trust Stevie.

He is also really ending year 3 of making executive decisions but I understand why nobody is going to use the real life timeline versus the 4/19/19 date pushed publicly. When people push the 5 year timeline, I think we were always looking at a long rebuild. Devellano has confirmed the Ilitch's were told as much a few times when they kept pursuing the playoff streak.

Any can pick their Eichels and Dahlins in HEdman and Stamkos. But Yzeman did build the team culture and all the superb depth, that they have 1st line level of players like Verhaege on the 4th line.

That's the REAL build. Not just picking easy on the Top2.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Any can pick their Eichels and Dahlins in HEdman and Stamkos. But Yzeman did build the team culture and all the superb depth, that they have 1st line level of players like Verhaege on the 4th line.

That's the REAL build. Not just picking easy on the Top2.

giphy-downsized.gif

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I like that I'm as smart and astute as Mr. Bowman

We both acknowledge and agree the rebuild is still 2 more piss poor seasons out before showing marked improvement.

5 years(drafts) was the timeline.

2 more lottery contention drafts to go of which hopefully one results in a top 2 pick.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I thought this was a good quote from the article for a couple reasons:

“When you go to a new team, it takes a while to get to know everybody. Some players, you cater to more than others. Some players have to be pushed and prodded and some you have to be quiet with. Some players you can’t get on them or they’ll pack it up.
"I never tried to sugar coat it with the players and I think they wanted you to be honest with them. You have to tell them what is truthful and what is not. But when it’s all said and done, to get the most out of the good players they needed someone to be pushing them and that’s how they got into the NHL.”

It was a different era but I think the first part is an important distinction of what elevates Bowman over guys like Babcock, Tortorella, and certainly Keenan. Bowman didn't care if he was hated by his players but he had a better read on guys and what mind games to play on them.

The second part I think addresses a myth some people have about NHL players and coaches. That they're highly paid elite athletes who shouldn't need to be pushed or motivated. But that goes against human nature. It's not just about critiquing the technical elements of the game. It's figuring out how to get the best out of them for 82 games, and then a grueling playoffs.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well I think if he is going the true contender route he cashes in on Bertuzzi and Hronek. But it is a dangerous approach. I flip them to get another couple first rounds picks and and young NHL players they like. You then go out in free agency. I think he might be setting up to do just that, but next year is big here. The plan cannot be to be bad into eternity, also if we see steps forward and big promise in the Seider's and Raymond's of the team maybe we use some of the stockpiled future assets and prospects to speed up the rebuild. But for me the Wright year is the last year I am really allowing us to be intentionally bad. He will have significantly reshaped the organization at that point and the next 13 to 14ish months are huge in what we become under Yzerman.

To be clear I trust him, but I think it is time for the aggressive side of him to come out. We need to start plugging holes and getting better, we have shed a bunch of the driftwood and acquired a ton of assets and potential talent. It is about time to start getting significantly better if we are ever going to be that contender, it takes a little while to become one of those too for most teams so we are still probably 5 to 7 years off of that if all goes well. Though Wright can shorten that a lot, he will be a top 3 player in the league in my opinion.

I don't think Yzerman will bring any big names this off season.

We don't have elite players yet.
Seider is highly touted, but there is nothing which proves he will be great at the NHL level.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We had little lottery luck the past several years. If that changes and we win the lottery for both Bedard and Wright, I'll become a model poster on here! Lord I promise!

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think we have very very little chance at Wright or Beard. We will be better than people think next year. 5 years or so for a rebuild but...in year 3 Steve also didn't have almost 50 mil in cap space. Look at the quote from Bernie saying he wants to come back next year because he is excited about the team. He said he didnt get a chance to play in Toronto near the end of their rebuild. So he did imply Detroit is getting near the end of theirs. We have some talent now, some prospects making the jump as early as this upcoming season. Its expansion draft and 50 mil to play with. I just dont see us being bottom feeders next year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There's a very good chance the Wings remain in this .450 range for another 1-2 years.
We might not be favorites to win the lottery. But we'll be among the favorites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad