News Article: Scottrade Center renovations

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Scottrade Center bill rejected again

No thanks: Bill for renovations to Scottrade Center rejected again

The city's share of renovations to Scottrade Center will continue to be negotiated after a $67.5 million proposal failed in aldermanic committee at City Hall Monday morning.

The bill, which was amended to delay debt payments on bonds for the project for the first three years, was defeated 4-3 in the Aldermanic Ways and Means Committee. It was the third committee hearing for the bill this month.

After the vote, Board of Aldermen President Lewis Reed said the bill will come up again after more negotiations. Reed said committee chairman Stephen Conway, who voted against the proposal, wanted to have the vote Monday to see where committee members stood on the bill.

Last week,Conway voted against a funding proposal for a Major League Soccer stadium as a legislative tool for later bringing it back up for consideration. That bill was amended and eventually passed 5-4.

Earlier this month, city leaders and St. Louis Blues executives announced an effort to get taxpayer help to pay for a $138 million renovation of Scottrade Center. The city would fund the initial $67.5 million in improvements in the proposal.

Combined with interest, the cost of the bonds would push about $100 million.

The bill proposes delaying debt payments from 2018 through 2020. Reed said it would allow revenue for the project to accumulate before being dispersed, giving the city more flexibility.

The first three years of debt payments would instead be exclusively paid through a Community Improvement District tax starting at $500,000 in the first year and increasing to $1.2 million by the third year. The tax would be imposed on revenue generated from activities at Scottrade Center.

Over the next 27 years, the city would begin annual payments of $1 million that would rise incrementally to $4.5 million annually toward the end of the bond payments.

CID contributions to the payments would eventually increase annually to about $2 million annually toward the end of the 30-year debt payment schedule.

But James Garavaglia, the city's deputy comptroller, said the Comptroller's Office remains concerned about the proposal's potential impact on general revenue as well as that the delay wouldn't prevent the eventual stress the bonds would put on the city's spending.

It was not clear when the proposal might receive another hearing.

via
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_4dea0e0d-2d92-5db5-a0a6-1448fe7a4442.html

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I wonder if the current ownership group would have any appetite for buying the building from the City and financing the purchase and improvements as a private project. Alternatively, if the City drags it's feet too long, I wonder how long before the team explores an alternative venue development, possibly even outside the city.

I thought I read somewhere in the last couple of weeks that the team has put over $700 million into the operation and upkeep of the facility since it opened over 20 years ago but that the City had only contributed about $10 million during that same timeframe. I'm not sure those figures are entirely accurate (or apples-to-apples for that matter) but it would seem that the ownership group has the muscle to make this type of an investment and gain a return on the operation of its own facility for things other than Blues games. Maybe such a threat would also get some of the aldermanic obstacles out of the way, because the last thing the City wants is a building like this without a major tenant, especially if it has to compete with another building for the same events.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Absolute crap by the city.

95 percent of the stadium was privately funded when it was constructed. This situation is not at all like Kroenke and the Rams.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
not a good time to ask for tax money for stadiums. we dont wanna fund that garbage right now.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
What the Blues are asking for is just that, an ask. We saw how quickly the soccer ownership started walking back how much they "needed" in order to build the stadium. Of course the Blues will ask for everything on their wish list, and the two sides will agree somewhere in the middle.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
What we need is the Cardinals to say it's a good idea. The city would be handcuffed then. Town will do anything for the Cardinals.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
It really pisses me off how the city will try to bend over backwards for the Rams and a new soccer stadium but **** the Blues right? I think Stillman should make it publicly known he's willing to look for another city to move the team to. The city itself shows the Blues nothing but disrespect.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
It really pisses me off how the city will try to bend over backwards for the Rams and a new soccer stadium but **** the Blues right? I think Stillman should make it publicly known he's willing to look for another city to move the team to. The city itself shows the Blues nothing but disrespect.

win a cup and earn respect then. even the rams won a sb.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
win a cup and earn respect then. even the rams won a sb.

If winning a cup is a prerequisite for earning respect, then perhaps it's also a prerequisite for the city to make money off the Blues via taxes. Logic.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
If winning a cup is a prerequisite for earning respect, then perhaps it's also a prerequisite for the city to make money off the Blues via taxes. Logic.

there is a reason the cardinals have respect from the city and the blues do not. one is the class of the NL who has had a tremendous run since 2000, has a massive fanbase that brings in tourist. the other consistently bows out in round 1 of the easiest sport to qualify for the playoffs and has home games overrun by hawk and wing fans when they come to town.

Now is not that time to be asking for renovation money. Bet if they won a cup this year and then asked for it, they would get it.

people like to support a winner. why do you think the raiders are having trouble getting a new stadium funded? Bet if a team like the Packers wanted a new stadium it would happen in a heartbeat.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
there is a reason the cardinals have respect from the city and the blues do not. one is the class of the NL who has had a tremendous run since 2000, has a massive fanbase that brings in tourist. the other consistently bows out in round 1 of the easiest sport to qualify for the playoffs and has home games overrun by hawk and wing fans when they come to town.

Now is not that time to be asking for renovation money. Bet if they won a cup this year and then asked for it, they would get it.

people like to support a winner. why do you think the raiders are having trouble getting a new stadium funded? Bet if a team like the Packers wanted a new stadium it would happen in a heartbeat.

Interesting perspective for someone who has been railing on the Cardinals for months about not spending enough money to actually compete with the Cubs. Are they going to be the "class of the NL" or are they penny pinching losers next week? I guess that's an unfair question to ask since we don't know yet what next week's argument is going to be.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

This is terrible reasoning. The Blues are more than deserving of the public's money, not to mention that letting Scottrade decline does nothing to help the city.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is terrible reasoning. The Blues are more than deserving of the public's money, not to mention that letting Scottrade decline does nothing to help the city.

If a city (any city) doesn't want to spend the money to maintain a building and keep it competitive for their tenant, they shouldn't be in the business of operating a building in the first place. The City needs to decide whether they want to be landlords or slumlords.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its a 9 person committee, right? The other vote cited was 5-4, but this one was 4-3. So I think its only a partial committee present this time perhaps. Point is, maybe its closer to passing than we realize.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

How are they deserving? What makes them so deserving? I'd say that the public schooling is much more deserving of upgrades in the city than a 20 year old arena, which has already had upgrades before.

The city is in AWFUL shape financially so why should they throw money everytime some millionaires and billionaires want money for stadiums.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Interesting perspective for someone who has been railing on the Cardinals for months about not spending enough money to actually compete with the Cubs. Are they going to be the "class of the NL" or are they penny pinching losers next week? I guess that's an unfair question to ask since we don't know yet what next week's argument is going to be.

The Cardinals have been dumpster diving for years. Sometimes it works, usually it doesnt. Still does not change the fact that the Cubs are putting them in their place and Mo is sitting there and taking it.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
How are they deserving? What makes them so deserving? I'd say that the public schooling is much more deserving of upgrades in the city than a 20 year old arena, which has already had upgrades before.

The city is in AWFUL shape financially so why should they throw money everytime some millionaires and billionaires want money for stadiums.
Is it fair that stadiums get way more money thrown at them?? Of course not but with that said....this is going to pass. May be a bumpy road but the renovations will happen

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Well it's the city spending money on their own building. Yeah, it's millionaires and billionaires wanting money but it'd improve the city.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Well for one, it's the city's building, not some millionaires and billionaires. The city has put precious little into their building.

And second, you're willing to do it if they had a cup as if there isn't a quality product. Your self righteousness went out the window when you said that.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Well for one, it's the city's building, not some millionaires and billionaires. The city has put precious little into their building.

And second, you're willing to do it if they had a cup as if there isn't a quality product. Your self righteousness went out the window when you said that.

they have a quality product this year? really?

really?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Over the lifetime of this building, yes there's been a quality product on the ice, and a strong community presence off of it.

Now they're trying to put together a new ice ring center in Creve Coeur that will again benefit the city.

But yes, because they haven't won the hardest trophy to win in North American sports, they shouldn't get help from the public.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Over the lifetime of this building, yes there's been a quality product on the ice, and a strong community presence off of it.

Now they're trying to put together a new ice ring center in Creve Coeur that will again benefit the city.

But yes, because they haven't won the hardest trophy to win in North American sports, they shouldn't get help from the public.

correct, not in this political climate. especially since they have zero leverage going for them. I did not want a Rams stadium, I do not want a MLS stadium and I do not want scotttrade getting money now either. If the Cards ask, I do not want that either. Again, now is not the time to be asking for money.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

The city OWNS the building. It's like if you had a 20 year old theater or restaurant and clients are starting to not come because there are cleaner restaurants with better amenities. Business' have to upgrade their infrastructure. Like fixing up a house before you sell it, it's worth more.

Many college and high-end concerts have already said they may not come back without upgrades.

Well over 50% of the revenue generated at Scottrade center is not generated from the Blues. Almost every other sports team upgrades their building on a regular basis and it always ends up making money for the cities or owners of the building. It's simple logic and business.

Why you are so against it just shows you don't understand how this stuff works... Like the alderman who voted against it.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
The city OWNS the building. It's like if you had a 20 year old theater or restaurant and clients are starting to not come because there are cleaner restaurants with better amenities. Business' have to upgrade their infrastructure. Like fixing up a house before you sell it, it's worth more.

Many college and high-end concerts have already said they may not come back without upgrades.

Well over 50% of the revenue generated at Scottrade center is not generated from the Blues. Almost every other sports team upgrades their building on a regular basis and it always ends up making money for the cities or owners of the building. It's simple logic and business.

Why you are so against it just shows you don't understand how this stuff works... Like the alderman who voted against it.

ofcourse they are gonna say that. its called a bluff. What do you expect them to come out and say? also, you act like scotttrade is the only venue in the area worthy of having a concert. I have been tons of concerts that were not at Scotttrade and I do not see all those other venues begging for public funds for upgrades in order to "keep up".

Again, they have ZERO leverage here and the first thing about making a deal is you do not attempt to make one without having leverage. What makes their situtation even worse is they are asking for this at completely the wrong time. A better time to ask for this would have been right after the Rams left when they would have had complete unified support from the people.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
ofcourse they are gonna say that. its called a bluff. What do you expect them to come out and say? also, you act like scotttrade is the only venue in the area worthy of having a concert. I have been tons of concerts that were not at Scotttrade and I do not see all those other venues begging for public funds for upgrades in order to "keep up".

Again, they have ZERO leverage here and the first thing about making a deal is you do not attempt to make one without having leverage. What makes their situtation even worse is they are asking for this at completely the wrong time. A better time to ask for this would have been right after the Rams left when they would have had complete unified support from the people.

That's because they are privately owned and Scottrade is owned by the City of St. Louis. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad