Scott Wilson Thread

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liking what I've been seeing from the kid thus far. His eye for goal that he's been showing with the Baby Pens seems to finally be peeping through with the big club. I'm personally hoping we continue to give him a look when the injuried regulars start coming back...

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
i like him, but at this point the only guys we've seen who i'd play him over is Porter and Kuhnhackl.

He has the three game streak, but in all honesty two of his goals were all because of the set up by a teammate and he was wide open. For example the one today I would kind of expect any skill forward on the team to score on.

I really want him to keep getting better, but I'd still favor Rust and Sheary over him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The one good thing about our injuries is that we know Rust, Wilson, and Sundqvist can be good, contributing depth players right now.

They bring a lot of piss and vinegar.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I liked the patience he showed on his goal today, a lot of players would've tried the one time the pass and put it right into Lehner's pad.

If you watch the goals he was scoring for WBS, they weren't garbage goals, he was using his shot and scoring from all over the place.

I'm not saying he's going to score 30 goals or something, but people need to wait more than a dozen games before writing a player off.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I liked the patience he showed on his goal today, a lot of players would've tried the one time the pass and put it right into Lehner's pad.

If you watch the goals he was scoring for WBS, they weren't garbage goals, he was using his shot and scoring from all over the place.

I'm not saying he's going to score 30 goals or something, but people need to wait more than a dozen games before writing a player off.

I don't understand...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
To be fair. He's not particularly big or fast. So he's gonna need to get by on smarts and work ethic.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To be fair. He's not particularly big or fast. So he's gonna need to get by on smarts and work ethic.

Indeed.

When fully healthy:

Kun-Sid-Horn
Hag-Geno-Phil
XXX-Bonino-Bennet
XXX-Cullen-Fehr

You could argue there are 2 spots open assuming we do not add anyone else.

Porter, Wilson, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Plotnikov (lol), and potentially Sundqvist are in the running for it. I think Porter, wrongfully, gets a spot because he can PK. Then it's a race to see who wins...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Type of player whose upside is completely unpredictable. At a glance, looks like an AHL top 6er, but his amateur and minor pro scoring is a lot better than guys we spent first round draft picks on, so he "must do something right" (paraphrase of Phil Bourque regarding Wilson).

Problem with figuring out who he is or where he fits is that his assets/strengths are largely invisible. Guy like Hagelin or Kreider, you can see the speed will give people problems. Guy like J Hayes or Bjugstad, you can see that defenders will struggle to be able to get body position. Someone like Ryder can beat you from range. Kuznetsov can use deception. Hornqvist will outwork you. Didn't take all that long to figure out what these guys would be.

With Wilson, he largely gets by on things like poise, timing and guile. Only way to know whether he's a young Chris Kunitz, a young Toby Petersen or just a young Len Barrie is to wait and see what he does.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

He's got pretty good speed. I think with Wilson he just needs to be more assertive. There are games where I feel like he's trying to be too safe. My favorite thing about Rust is he just goes for it, every game 24/7. He tries to make plays. Sometimes Wilson and the other WBS kids are more concerned with being as safe as possible than making plays.

In saying that, Wilson has the most offensive skill of any of our call ups. It's no accident he's got goals in three straight. He's scored quite well at the AHL level, and in college. If he can bring that to the NHL level and become a 15-20 goal guy for us that would be huuuuuuge.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Type of player whose upside is completely unpredictable. At a glance, looks like an AHL top 6er, but his amateur and minor pro scoring is a lot better than guys we spent first round draft picks on, so he "must do something right" (paraphrase of Phil Bourque regarding Wilson).

Problem with figuring out who he is or where he fits is that his assets/strengths are largely invisible. Guy like Hagelin or Kreider, you can see the speed will give people problems. Guy like J Hayes or Bjugstad, you can see that defenders will struggle to be able to get body position. Someone like Ryder can beat you from range. Kuznetsov can use deception. Hornqvist will outwork you. Didn't take all that long to figure out what these guys would be.

With Wilson, he largely gets by on things like poise, timing and guile. Only way to know whether he's a young Chris Kunitz, a young Toby Petersen or just a young Len Barrie is to wait and see what he does.

I feel like Wilson's got another 10-15 pounds of muscle to gain before he gets to Kunitz's size.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Agreed. He does not have a stand out tool in his tool box. To steal a cheesy quote from Miracle, in order to stay he is going to have to play at a level that forces the coaches to keep him here. He has a lot of competition.

He's got pretty good speed. I think with Wilson he just needs to be more assertive. There are games where I feel like he's trying to be too safe. My favorite thing about Rust is he just goes for it, every game 24/7. He tries to make plays. Sometimes Wilson and the other WBS kids are more concerned with being as safe as possible than making plays.

In saying that, Wilson has the most offensive skill of any of our call ups. It's no accident he's got goals in three straight. He's scored quite well at the AHL level, and in college. If he can bring that to the NHL level and become a 15-20 goal guy for us that would be huuuuuuge.

Mistakes = back to WBS when the competition is this close.

This is why I support rotating guys up and down. Right now he's there with Porter, Sheary, Sundqvist, and Rust - yes due to injuries however when everyone is healthy someone has to go back. I see these guys come up and it's as if the mindset is I want to stay so I better not do anything bad rather than I want to stay so I better do something good.

With that, it's tough to get a read on their potential because half the game is spent with worry about messing up. Rather I would like them to say "Scott, you're here for 5 games whether you're Glass or Crosby. Show us what you got". At the end of the 5 games, you send him down and bring up the next guy. Then you select on who is the most "good" not who did the least "bad".

Course, coaches and management's milage may vary.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
i like him, but at this point the only guys we've seen who i'd play him over is Porter and Kuhnhackl.

He has the three game streak, but in all honesty two of his goals were all because of the set up by a teammate and he was wide open. For example the one today I would kind of expect any skill forward on the team to score on.

I really want him to keep getting better, but I'd still favor Rust and Sheary over him.

Getting wide open in shooting position is often (usually, depending on the team you're playing) as a result of making a (series of) correct read(s) away from the play. There's a reason that Cullen finds himself with clean looks between the circles so much more often than Porter or even Bonino and skill/athleticism isn't it.

Wilson's not finding himself open. He's getting open. That's worth something, but IDK what.

I feel like Wilson's got another 10-15 pounds of muscle to gain before he gets to Kunitz's size.

That's probably true. I was just thinking more stylistically. I haven't forgotten that some big forward turned him to dust on his third shift last year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Today was a goal scorer's goal. Great shot and patience. I like him, and how he is playing. I'm hoping he can turn into that Tyler Kennedy type where he can get you 15-20 goals a season in a secondary role.

I honestly like all of our WBS guys. I think those guys coupled with Fehr and Cullen give us a great, deep bottom 6 that could come up with some big goals.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think once he gets his feet wet a bit more you'll start seeing him take a few more risks.

He was throwing his body around like crazy in WBS this year, taking the odd penalty along the way. A bubble guy is going to try to play safe for the most part.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This team has been missing this kind of hunger in the bottom 6 for years. Couple that hunger with a veteran or two to keep the kids reeled in, and I think that's a recipe for success.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
This team has been missing this kind of hunger in the bottom 6 for years. Couple that hunger with a veteran or two to keep the kids reeled in, and I think that's a recipe for success.

Yeah I really hope we don't try to bring in some bottom six depth guy (e.g. Daniel Winnik last year). We need hungry youth that give it their all down there. Malkin, Bonino and Fehr will come back. Send Porter, Kuhn and probably Sheary down, and keep Rust, Wilson and Sundqvist playing. We'll have a good mix of styles and of vets/youth in our bottom six. We need to develop from within eventually. We keep putting it off and ruining it, while others teams have solid bottom six energy guys on entry level contracts

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Good bottom 6 player along with Sundqvist , Kuhn , Rust , and even Sheary

Sprong has top 6 potential , and also Dominik Simon is an intriguing player in WBS.

Hopefully hit some potential home-runs in this years second round with players like Sprong.

Need LW and RD .

LD seems set with Maatta , Dumo , and Pouliot

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not to go all shiny new toy on him, but I don't know that Wilson can be written off as "a bottom six energy guy." Maybe he's more. Maybe he's less. But either is possible. Very hard to guess where he can top out.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I like Wilson. I'm glad to finally see him bring some of that scoring from the AHL to the NHL. I'd like to see him pick up the physicality, though. I've read he started playing a harder game in the A and I thought he played with more physicality when he first got called up earlier in the year. If he can do that and chip in 10-ish goals a year, he'll have a home in their bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad