Confirmed with Link: Scott Wilson signs with Pens

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
According to this, Wilson has signed

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/4/2/5574662/umass-lowell-junior-scott-wilson-signs-with-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-contract-norm-bazin-hockey-east

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed UMass Lowell junior forward Scott Wilson to a two-year entry-level contract. The Oakville, Ontario native was a seventh round selection of the Penguins in the 2011 NHL Draft. Wilson is forgoing his final year of eligibility to sign with an NHL organization

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Nice, got to wonder how many of these guys are going to get a shot at the AHL this year though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Strange his numbers dipped so much this college season. Worth a shot to sign him though given our lack of forward prospects.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Would've thought he'd stay for his Sr. year. Though he started when he was 19, I believe, so age-wise it works out normally as well.

I think the Pens wanted him to focus more on his overall game, hence the dip in numbers. At least, that's what I'll tell myself.

Don't have as "high" of hopes for him as I do for a guy like Archibald, and Rust too, to some extent, but, we'll see what happens.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The more the merrier. Will be awesome if they lock Sundqvist up too. He'll probably need time in WBS anyway to adjust to the NA game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Remember when some of us complained about how all the forward prospects are in college and that we might not see them for a long time?

Rust, Archibald, and now Wilson to WBS, lol.

I'm probably more excited to watch them than the big club right now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Good. Finally getting some forward prospects come through. I suspect that all will be in the WBS next year for a year at least.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Strange his numbers dipped so much this college season. Worth a shot to sign him though given our lack of forward prospects.

He's usually been a slow starter in past seasons. And this year just as he started to get going he got injured (wrist, iirc).

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Our college forward prospects are more interesting to me than our CHL forward prospects.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
He's usually been a slow starter in past seasons. And this year just as he started to get going he got injured (wrist, iirc).

Didn't UMass also have him playing more of a defensive role this year too?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Didn't UMass also have him playing more of a defensive role this year too?

there was a recent article that i posted in the prospect thread that mentioned something along those lines:

Some guidance from the Pittsburgh Penguins, who own Wilson's draft rights, gave him even more motivation to round out his game.

"I came into the season looking to improve on some things on the defensive end," he said. "That was something Pittsburgh talked to me about, being harder after pucks and just breaking some bad habits. I thought I was playing well in the first half, and it doesn't matter who's scoring as long as we're winning. Everybody wants to win. We trust the process, knowing things will work out if we trust in what we're doing."

"When you’re talking about an offensive player, someone who’s had success offensively the bulk of their life, it is tough to encourage them and constantly remind them that, if you’re getting shots and if you’re getting chances, you don’t need to worry, because they’ve had the results," Bazin said. "So I think it was trying for him. He’ll be a better player because of the struggles he’s had this year. He’ll be a better hockey player in the future, forwards, because it was something that was very difficult for him to go through."

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/03/20_wilsons_return_helps_re-ignite.php

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Seeing all these young college guys sign is good for the soul. If one or two of them can become Megna-calibre or better over the next couple years, we'll have some real nice depth to work with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder if Blueger is the next guy to sign next year leaving Guentzel as the only intriguing Pens prospect for forwards in the College ranks.

Something about Blueger makes me think he'll have one of those massive years and that'd be it for him at that level.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Blueger will definitely go back for next year but I think you're right, if he puts up a PPG year he'll sign.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wonder if Blueger is the next guy to sign next year leaving Guentzel as the only intriguing Pens prospect for forwards in the College ranks.

Something about Blueger makes me think he'll have one of those massive years and that'd be it for him at that level.

Something tells me that we'll have another college forward prospect by this time next year, haha.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Seriously think Shero needs to draft forwards though, take a run at guys out of the OHL especially out of the London Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad