Scott Stevens Resigns as Minnesota Wild Asst. Coach

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Best of luck to Stevens. His experience and knowledge of the game will be tough to replace.

Michael Russo:
One year after coming to the Wild as Bruce Boudreau's top assistant, Scott Stevens has stepped down, citing family reasons.

The Hall of Fame defenseman, former Devils captain and three-time Stanley Cup champion has a primary home in New Jersey and his wife and two children back in the New York/New Jersey area.

"I just want to be closer," he said. "That's the toughest part of this job moving away from your house and being away from family. I need them and they need me. When you've been in one spot for a long time, it's a little tougher than you think to just get up and move. But I had nothing but a great experience in Minnesota."

"[Boudreau] said, 'Is it something we did?' He said, 'Nope, nope, nope,' that the best thing for his family was for him to move home," ... "We gave each other a hug. He's going to be very difficult to replace, but I respect him so much and respect what he wants to do."

Search for a replacement hasn't begun yet.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Wow, hockey does have a human side to it. Stevens is a class act no matter were he's been or goes to. I'm sure he's a class act when it comes to his family. Major loss for the Wild.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I bet he finds a NCAA program to run and stays there for the next 10+ years. Great coach, just needed less travel, he can get that in the NCAA

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I guess he's just gonna wait around for Haynes to lose his job with the Devils. Feels like he's calling his shot here.

Definitely think he's looking to be a HC, but I wonder if Stevens and Shero have any sort of relationship.

As in, if Hynes is let go, would Shero even consider Stevens for the role?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yep, really sad to see him go. All of our young defensemen really seemed to take a big step this year, with most of them having career highs in points while staying the same or improving defensively. As I said on the Wild board, I wish the best for him and his family. Family comes first.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think he's looking at possibly going after the New Jersey job. Got to think they have another poor year Hynes gets fired.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wonder if a Metro division job would work with him. Much closer to his family, and plenty of "road trips" for the Capitals to the NJ/NYC area. Could potentially even commute to NJ on days without practice or a game. Heck, if he's particularly fond of Amtrak, he could pull a Joe Biden and do the daily commute.

This is assuming that Todd Reirden gets sniped for a HC gig somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad