Scott Niedermayer, HHOFer

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by vadim sharifijanov, Nov 11, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    i wanted to start a new thread, instead of posting this in the original one, because on HHOF induction day -- one of my favourite days of the hockey year -- i'd like to celebrate the guys i grew up watching and admiring for what they were, instead of what they weren't. yes, niedermayer is ridiculously overrated, and yes some of us who were rooting for him were often frustrated that he just didn't seem to be able to put it all together until the '03 playoffs. but he was also an amazing player and a guy i loved watching from when he was a draft-eligible teenager. watching him in the 2003 finals break up opposing rushes like it was nothing and then in the same motion skating the puck up past his own blueline to safety before executing a simple but effective outlet to his forwards was a thing of beauty. not as eye-catching as leetch's end-to-end rushes or stevens killing guys, but in its own way up there with those two guys' conn smythe runs.

i've read a lot of articles this week about chelios, shanahan, and niedermayer. here are some interesting highlights about niedermayer coming up under ken hitchcock in kamloops, then entering the league under the tutelage of the soviet machine, the habs tradition, and scotty stevens. of particular interest, what he says about his early battles with jacques lemaire, and what those formative experiences meant to his career now as he looks back on them--

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9923904/2013-hockey-hall-fame-winning-followed-scott-niedermayer

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...playing_career_made_everything_look_easy.html

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/2...r_credits_Devils_coaches_for_his_success.html

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan PS3 GM Conn. Oilers

Home Page:
    Great post. Scotty was an instant favorite of mine when he came to Jersey. Hell, I bought my first Niedermayer jersey in 1993.

There were times he made you pull your hair out, and then there were times he made you feel like there was no better player in the league. I feel very fortunately to have been able to see his entire career in New Jersey, and see what I could from his career in Anaheim.

His leaving for Anaheim stung, but it was for reasons I understood being close with my own brother. At the time I was pretty much the only one of my friends who didn't hate him for moving on to Anaheim. I'm glad he was able to fulfill his dream of playing and winning the Stanley Cup with his brother.

Say what you will, the man is a total class act. I'll never get tired of watching his old highlights, and I hope for nothing but the best for him. He gave me so many incredible memories, including 4 Stanley Cup Finals in New Jersey, winning 3 of them.

3. The Mighty Duck Man

The Mighty Duck Man R-E-L-A-X

Home Page:
    While some overrate him due to his team accomplishments and skating abilities, I swear he never gets enough credit defensively. People often forget that he, and not Pronger, got the majority of the shutdown assignments during that cup run. That's why he won the Smythe, not to try and make up for 2003.

4. Krishna

Krishna Registered User

Shawty.
    One of my favorite d men ever. Who doesn't love a d man that can do everything

5. Dissonance

Dissonance Registered User

Home Page:
    Fun piece about the hype around the 18-year-old Niedermayer at the Devils' 1992 training camp:

And this piece, from a bit later in the season:

6. 90sKid*

90sKid* Guest

very true, congrats to Scott Niedermayer!