News Article: Scott Mayfield Future (NY Post article)

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Pulock has a full NTC for the first 5 years, this being year #1. The remaining years it changes to a modified NTC.

I’ve never been a big fan though his contract is fair value. Unfortunately, he’ll never be that star offensive Dman we were hoping for using his “legendary “ slap shot to pot 15-20 goals a year.

Given the NTC he’s not going anywhere unless he pulls a Hamonic on us.

It is legendary but in a Fulton Reed way instead of Al MacInnis

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Lou signs Pulock to an NTC two years ago, then asks him to waive it so he can trade him to a particular team? Not good business, imho.

If there’s been one constant in Lou’s career, it’s that he’s a players’ GM.

Exactly. There is a reason why players show him loyalty and why he has the reputation he has. Backtracking on agreements and being wishy-washy is not one of those things.

Mayfield will get a lot more on the UFA market than what many fans here appear to have appetite for. Lou will either get blasted for (once again) overpaying, or fans will lament losing him when he has success elsewhere. And IMO, he is a bona fide 2nd pairing defenseman on a contending NHL team.

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lou signs Pulock to an NTC two years ago, then asks him to waive it so he can trade him to a particular team? Not good business, imho.

If there’s been one constant in Lou’s career, it’s that he’s a players’ GM.
Has it impacted Vegas?

In the end, the player still gets paid. The way to convince a player to waive the NTC is that their role has/is changed. Most players will move on bc they want to play in a role they want.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Has it impacted Vegas?

In the end, the player still gets paid. The way to convince a player to waive the NTC is that their role has/is changed. Most players will move on bc they want to play in a role they want.
Then go the Keyshawn route and send him home with pay and say he no longer fits in team's plans

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I would trade Mayfield. Not because I don’t like the player but because he is one of the Isles best trade chips. It is clear this team needs change. There are too many bad contracts the team will need to ride out. Mayfield should net a solid return. I know Lou won’t do that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I would trade Mayfield. Not because I don’t like the player but because he is one of the Isles best trade chips. It is clear this team needs change. There are too many bad contracts the team will need to ride out. Mayfield should net a solid return. I know Lou won’t do that.
I agree with you about what Mayfield would bring back.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I agree with you about what Mayfield would bring back.
He’ll net a solid return - would prefer a near ripe high end prospect for him vs a non-lotto ball player that may play in 2026/27.

The big issue with the Isles is replacing Mayfield’s steady average of 17 mins per game and playing critical minutes.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Mayfield and Nelson would yield the best returns imo. Both are on the wrong side of 30. I’m inclined to move both and start the retool/rebuild.
If we're trading Nelson (and Mayfield) it's a full-on rebuild, not a re-tool. The only way this should be entertained is if we're out of it by the deadline and management/ownership don't feel the team, as constructed, will be able to compete next year (with tweaks). Personally I'm not there yet. And the thought of 3-4 abysmal seasons after we finally became competitive again makes my stomach turn.

Right now I'm focused on having meaningful hockey in March/April. And hopefully beyond...

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
If we're trading Nelson (and Mayfield) it's a full-on rebuild, not a re-tool. The only way this should be entertained is if we're out of it by the deadline and management/ownership don't feel the team, as constructed, will be able to compete next year (with tweaks). Personally I'm not there yet. And the thought of 3-4 abysmal seasons after we finally became competitive again makes my stomach turn.

Right now I'm focused on having meaningful hockey in March/April. And hopefully beyond...
I don’t disagree with your points nor do I look forward to 3/4 abysmal seasons. IMO the Isles have 1 top 6 forward playing well most nights. That’s Nelson. Barzal has his moments and Lee can occasionally chip in a few goals. After that the drop off is steep. The bottom 6 forwards, the defense and the goaltending are not the issue. I just don’t see a top 6 forward group capable of winning a cup. I also don’t see Meier and Larkin magically appearing on the roster next season. So I’m left with the conclusion the Isles need to retool the top 6. The rest of the team is good enough to keep the team around .500 and the good news is forwards develop quicker than D and goalies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He’ll net a solid return - would prefer a near ripe high end prospect for him vs a non-lotto ball player that may play in 2026/27.

The big issue with the Isles is replacing Mayfield’s steady average of 17 mins per game and playing critical minutes.
Agreed. Without Mayfield the bottom 3 becomes Romanov, Aho and then your choice of Salo, Hutton, Wotherspoon, Cholowski.

Suddenly our defense is much less formidable.
I don’t disagree with your points nor do I look forward to 3/4 abysmal seasons. IMO the Isles have 1 top 6 forward playing well most nights. That’s Nelson. Barzal has his moments and Lee can occasionally chip in a few goals. After that the drop off is steep. The bottom 6 forwards, the defense and the goaltending are not the issue. I just don’t see a top 6 forward group capable of winning a cup. I also don’t see Meier and Larkin magically appearing on the roster next season. So I’m left with the conclusion the Isles need to retool the top 6. The rest of the team is good enough to keep the team around .500 and the good news is forwards develop quicker than D and goalies.
Again, Sorokin and pray is not the way we should be approaching a season. But that's the M.O. of a few folks here.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Again, Sorokin and pray is not the way we should be approaching a season. But that's the M.O. of a few folks here.
I'm not sure that any fans are advocating for a "Sorokin and pray" strategy. The team's success during the past few season's before last was hardly relying on the goalie to steal games. I think we all would have loved for more additions to be made, particularly on forward. Alas, the approach to the season was what it was.

But if the alternative is to blow it up and start over (today), then count me out. Although sadly, it may be inevitable... :(

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Agreed. Without Mayfield the bottom 3 becomes Romanov, Aho and then your choice of Salo, Hutton, Wotherspoon, Cholowski.

Suddenly our defense is much less formidable.

Where is the contract stop point for you regarding Mayfield?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm not sure that any fans are advocating for a "Sorokin and pray" strategy. The team's success during the past few season's before last was hardly relying on the goalie to steal games. I think we all would have loved for more additions to be made, particularly on forward. Alas, the approach to the season was what it was.

But if the alternative is to blow it up and start over (today), then count me out. Although sadly, it may be inevitable... :(
It's blowing itself up from the inside out

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
What’s up with Pulock. Has he regressed or just taken a back seat since Dobson, offensively anyway. I wonder what the return would be for Pulock compared to Mayfield. I think both are good but I would have thought Pulock would be far better then he has been. Maybe I haven’t seen him enough in the last year or two.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I’ve always been in favor of keeping mayfield, but as this season continues to spiral, if Lou were able to get a good return it might be worth it to deal him.

This team needs a shakeup sadly Mayfield is one of they guys that has can be moved.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
What’s up with Pulock. Has he regressed or just taken a back seat since Dobson, offensively anyway. I wonder what the return would be for Pulock compared to Mayfield. I think both are good but I would have thought Pulock would be far better then he has been. Maybe I haven’t seen him enough in the last year or two.
The game changed and he’s being exposed consistently as a guy that can’t keep up. His offense is a total zero and his defense is a average. That contract is gonna hurt for a long time…

Reactions: MJF and Mike C

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The game changed and he’s being exposed consistently as a guy that can’t keep up. His offense is a total zero and his defense is a average. That contract is gonna hurt for a long time…
does not sound promising. Maybe he needs to get on the Throttle-diet, get leaner, meaner, quicker or take some Denis Potvin pills if they still sell them.

I honestly can't tell if my eyes are seeing a player who's regressed? or playing without confidence?

I really liked the way Mayfield and Pelech were locked up before they became crazy-expensive, and some risks pay-off, others don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad