Confirmed with Link: Scott Laughton new contract 5 x $3M

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
$3m is fine, but you don't sign a bottom-6 player to a 5 year deal.

This is a bad contract
Sure you do:

Vancouver Canucks sign Brandon Sutter to five-year contract extension | Vancouver Sun

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tanev-free-agency-deal-penguins-winnipeg-1.5196272

Look how well they worked out...lol. Look at the bright side, in 2015 a 30 pt C cost 4.35 million and in 2021 it costs us 3. Fletch>Benning

Of course, I am kidding. Any deal for Laughton if you wanted to keep him should have been for 3 years AT MAX. But if the cap goes up in 2 years once Covid gets under control, it will likely look good thru the length of the contract.

Guess we know why Hayes and Laughton have been the faces of the Flyers the last 2 years...lol.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Devils fan here. You guys seriously have to clean house with your front office and coaching staff.

this is legitimately a bad contract, obviously some of you know that.

a replacement level player getting this money for this term is wild. By definition he’s replaceable, and usually from within at a cheaper price.

CCA07FD7-9618-464D-AB62-44F87F977DCB.jpeg

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
That's an argument for getting rid of Couturier and Voracek Giroux and Provorov. They're the main guys, and have been for years.
Not really. You build around those guys. You don't commit $3m of cap space for 5 years on a player that can be replaced by guys on ELCs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sure you do:

Vancouver Canucks sign Brandon Sutter to five-year contract extension | Vancouver Sun

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tanev-free-agency-deal-penguins-winnipeg-1.5196272

Look how well they worked out...lol. Look at the bright side, in 2015 a 30 pt C cost 4.35 million and in 2021 it costs us 3. Fletch>Benning

Of course, I am kidding. Any deal for Laughton if you wanted to keep him should have been for 3 years AT MAX. But if the cap goes up in 2 years once Covid gets under control, it will likely look good thru the length of the contract.

Guess we know why Hayes and Laughton have been the faces of the Flyers the last 2 years...lol.

Why is a 3 year deal better? Laughton only turns 27 in May.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For a team that defended waiving their best defensemen this year by screaming "cap flexibility" to then turn around and give a non-play driving, bottom 6 forward, whose value is mostly tied to his shooting percentage a 5 year deal in what looks like a flat cap world...Just unbelievably stupid. I'm sure they turned down multiple top 100 picks for the opportunity to do so as well.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Sometimes the doom and gloom can be a little over the top here, but I'm seriously disheartened over this move.

We're aiming for mediocrity at best over the next 5 years.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For a team that defended waiving their best defensemen this year by screaming "cap flexibility" to then turn around and give a non-play driving, bottom 6 forward, whose value is mostly tied to his shooting percentage a 5 year deal in what looks like a flat cap world...Just unbelievably stupid. I'm sure they turned down multiple top 100 picks for the opportunity to so as well.

Draft picks dont provide waiver flexibility. Duh.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
We were going to get a 2nd probably meaning a shot in a dark for a player that will be years away from joining if he does pan out. And the AAV is what you'd expect for a good 3rd liner in this league. And in the last couple of seasons he has been just that.
Laughton on this deal is still attractive as a piece in a potentially big trade in the offseason.

Reactions: Redpath

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Leading into this contract and the deadline, Laughton doesn’t have a point in 12 games. Timing is everything, right? :laugh:
Statistically speaking if he keeps at that pace and there aren't any pandemic or lockout seasons... if Scoots records a point every 13 games he'll have somewhere around 32 points during this contract.

Great deal. Great player. Great GM. Great team. GREAT UNIVERSE.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not really. You build around those guys. You don't commit $3m of cap space for 5 years on a player that can be replaced by guys on ELCs.

We have one guy on an ELC contributing this year, and a bunch more on ELCs and RFA contracts not helping much at all for various reasons - Patrick, Frost, NAK and Lindblom.

Laughton himself didn't help much on his ELC, or his first RFA deal.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
We were going to get a 2nd probably meaning a shot in a dark for a player that will be years away from joining if he does pan out. And the AAV is what you'd expect for a good 3rd liner in this league. And in the last couple of seasons he has been just that.
Laughton on this deal is still attractive as a piece in a potentially big trade in the offseason.
They're not trading him before this contract starts. They're just not. Maybe he gets claimed by Seattle but he's not getting traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad