Scott Laughton/Boone Jenner

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
My own stance is that they're two different types of players. Laughton is probably going to be a Primeau-type of player in that he'll be a shut down center who can contribute 40 to 45 points a year average while Jenner will probably be a 1st/2nd line winger capable of 30 goals/60 points a year average when all is said and done.

Actually, Jenner sounds MUCH more like Primeau than Laughton the way you described them. Not sure Jenner will have the toughness or leadership Keith did, but the size and skill should be there.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Ziggy Palffy. One of my favorites as a kid just off the name alone

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Louis Sleigher is my vote and love his knock out punch on Hamel

http://youtu.be/6B1-c3y_Vng

You love a sucker punch around a ref while the opponent isn't looking, which ends the opponent's career?

from Drop Your Gloves:
Jean Hamel and Louis Sleigher were holding each other. An official was trying to break up the bout. Mario Tremblay was trying to convince Hamel to release his grip. Jean did release the grip, but Louis had his left hand free to throw a punch. His blow was disguised by being thrown behind the referee. The punch landed with destructive force and left Hamel in a bloody heap on the ice.

The demolition brought the brawl to a screeching halt for a time. The players stood around and saw the carnage. Bob Gainey went over to check on Hamel. A Montreal trainer was trying to revive him. Sleigher went right to the dressing room as the players looked stunned. After some time, most of the men went back towards center ice to join the sea of players. The camera went back to reveal that there was a small pool of blood on the ice next to the fallen Hamel.

Anyway, I think the best/worst hockey name is a great thread idea. Check out a new thread here.

Last edited:

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
You love a sucker punch around a ref while the opponent isn't looking, which ends the opponent's career?

from Drop Your Gloves:

Anyway, I think the best/worst hockey name is a great thread idea. Check out a new thread here.

Yes payback for Tremblay braking Peter Stasny's nose.

Maybe Tremblay should have done a better job of not holding on to his own player, he is their tough guy he knows what happens in scums.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I think Laughton is more skilled and is a better skater.

Jenner is a bull out on the ice and uses his body and frame to power his way to the net.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They really are two very different players though aren't they? Isn't Jenner like a power forward and Laughton more of a 2-way guy? Hard to really say who will be better. An elite/great/good/average/whatever power forward is not a direct comparable to an elite/great/good/average/whatever 2-way forward IMO. Different impacts, etc.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I like Boone Jenner a whole lot. That said I like Laughton too from what I have seen of him. He does appear to be the more skilled out of the two which is good for us.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
When I saw them both play two years ago in the playoffs (as mentioned) Laughton outplayed Jenner. He was on 5 on 5, shorthanded and they had him on the point for the pp. The guy was everywhere. But I'm a big fan of Jenner as well.

As for names....Branko Radivojevic?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Why do people Laughton as a pure defensive player? He seems to have a huge offensive potential as well. Could be a new Mike Richards if everything goes well.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Why do people Laughton as a pure defensive player? He seems to have a huge offensive potential as well. Could be a new Mike Richards if everything goes well.

I agree. In fact as big a fan as I am of Couturier, I feel Laughton has better offensive tools than him and Schenn both. Seems to have better hands and obviously better skating than both.

With that said, I don't think Laughton will ever match MR's 70 and 80 point seasons seeing as how MR was our 1st line center those days. Laughton, nor the rest of our young centers, will ever get those minutes with Giroux in the house.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Eh, even as captain, Laughton was a 3rd liner at the WJCs.

I don't think his NHL upside is more than a 3rd liner. Hopefully, a good 3rd liner.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Eh, even as captain, Laughton was a 3rd liner at the WJCs.

I don't think his NHL upside is more than a 3rd liner. Hopefully, a good 3rd liner.

This is where I'm at with Laughton. He didn't even really put up impressive numbers in the OHL until he was 19. We should be thrilled if Laughton turns into a 40 point two way center. I've said it a bunch on here, but I see a more physical version of Chris Kelly with a bit more offensive production. He should turn into an excellent third line center with the ability to play on a second line in a pinch.

Giroux/Couturier/Laughton down the middle for the next 5+ years looks good to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad