Scott Laughton/Boone Jenner

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Will Laughton be as good as Jenner? Better or worse? I haven't seen them play at OHL level but for a few times. Looking at stats Laughton put up 5 more pts in 2 less games in OHL as 19 yr old. Jenner looked great this year in the few games I saw of his. That will be great if Laughton is as good or better.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
My own stance is that they're two different types of players. Laughton is probably going to be a Primeau-type of player in that he'll be a shut down center who can contribute 40 to 45 points a year average while Jenner will probably be a 1st/2nd line winger capable of 30 goals/60 points a year average when all is said and done.

Evergreen

My own stance is that they're two different types of players. Laughton is probably going to be a Primeau-type of player in that he'll be a shut down center who can contribute 40 to 45 points a year average while Jenner will probably be a 1st/2nd line winger capable of 30 goals/60 points a year average when all is said and done.

I don't think Laughton's game is much like Keith Primeau's at all. Laughton is not nearly as big or strong as Primeau. I think he's more like Jarret Stoll.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think Laughton's game is much like Keith Primeau's at all. Laughton is not nearly as big or strong as Primeau. I think he's more like Jarret Stoll.

I don't think Laughton will have the physical strength that Primeau has. In terms of overall game (offensive/defensive style) I think they're very similar.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Jenner (Physical center, 60 pts) = David Backes
Laughton (Two-way center, 40-50 pts) = Mike Fisher/Travis Zajac

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Will Laughton be as good as Jenner? Better or worse? I haven't seen them play at OHL level but for a few times. Looking at stats Laughton put up 5 more pts in 2 less games in OHL as 19 yr old. Jenner looked great this year in the few games I saw of his. That will be great if Laughton is as good or better.

The year before this, Laughton outplayed Jenner in the playoffs for Oshawa. I don't really know if there were other factors involved, e.g. injuries, but Laughton outplayed both Jenner and his opponent, Ryan Strome, in the games I saw. Limited sample admittedly. This year I saw quite a few Oshawa games and Laughton improved his offensive capabilities while still being a great defensive presence. He ran the PP from the point, was dangerous while shorthanded, etc.

They are different players, as has been well noted here.

Jenner was great for the Blue Jackets in his rookie year, frankly, much better than I remember him as playing when he was with the Generals. He could blossom into a real power forward.

Laughton still reminds me more of Adam Henrique or Daymond Langkow, a solid, smaller skilled player with speed who can play up and down the lineup and at any position, do PK or PP work, score some and play on a shutdown line - and earn a letter. Taylor Leier is cut from the same cloth, and we're lucky to have both of them in our system.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jenner (Physical center, 60 pts) = David Backes
Laughton (Two-way center, 40-50 pts) = Mike Fisher/Travis Zajac

Jenner played winger this past year. It was a big reason as to why he got the opportunities to prove himself with their lack of depth there opposed to center with Johansen, Dubinsky, & Anismov.

I don't know what their plans are for him long term but all of those guys are back on the roster for next year (assuming Johansen will sign an extension eventually) so not sure if a move back to his natural position is in the works for next year & possibly the future since they drafted two centers in the first round of the 2013 draft with Alexander Wennberg & Marko Dano as well who both have pro experience in Europe & should be close to cracking the roster potentially.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think if we are talking solely about who has the better hockey name, Boone Jenner is far away better than Scott Laughton. Now, Scott Laughton isn't exactly a bad hockey name, but Boone Jenner is a potential HHOF name.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think if we are talking solely about who has the better hockey name, Boone Jenner is far away better than Scott Laughton. Now, Scott Laughton isn't exactly a bad hockey name, but Boone Jenner is a potential HHOF name.

Boone Jenner sounds more like a nascar driver than a hockey player to me.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Boone Jenner sounds more like a nascar diver than a hockey player to me.

Top Ten Hockey Names of All Time

Radek Bonk
Cal Clutterbuck
Boone Jenner
Daren Puppa
Ron Tugnutt
Hakan Loob
Jeff Buekeboom
Peter Zezel
Kirk Maltby
Wayne Gretzky

These names just scream hockey when you hear them. This list is not up for debate. It is set in stone in the DFF Hockey Name Hall of Fame. Deal with it.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Radek Bonk
Cal Clutterbuck
Boone Jenner
Daren Puppa
Ron Tugnutt
Hakan Loob
Jeff Buekeboom
Peter Zezel
Kirk Maltby
Wayne Gretzky

These names just scream hockey when you hear them. This list is not up for debate. It is set in stone in the DFF Hockey Name Hall of Fame. Deal with it.

How you feel about Andy Moog, Joel Otto and Dale Hawerchuk?

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Radek Bonk
Cal Clutterbuck
Boone Jenner
Daren Puppa
Ron Tugnutt
Hakan Loob
Jeff Buekeboom
Peter Zezel
Kirk Maltby
Wayne Gretzky

How dare you forget Justin Abdelkader.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How you feel about Andy Moog, Joel Otto and Dale Hawerchuk?

Moog is definitely in there, just not top ten. Otto and Hawerchuk are on the outside looking in, however I believe in due time they will make it on via the veteran's committee.

Thatcher Demko really sounds like a hockey name.

Honestly never heard of him until this year. Except in the rarest of situations, you have to play at least one NHL game to be eligible.

How dare you forget Justin Abdelkader.

I think he is on the ballot for next year's class.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

Radek Bonk
Cal Clutterbuck
Boone Jenner
Daren Puppa
Ron Tugnutt
Hakan Loob
Jeff Buekeboom
Peter Zezel
Kirk Maltby
Wayne Gretzky

How could you forget Rob Klinkhammer, Zarley Zalapski, or Niko Dimitrakos?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How could you forget Rob Klinkhammer, Zarley Zalapski, or Niko Dimitrakos?

This is just a top ten list. The list is not exhaustive. The DFF Hockey Name Hall of Fame will be open to the public in 2016, but for now it will just be lists that are posted in random HFBoards threads.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was at a game where Dimitrakos scored for the Flyers, and Lou Nolan was awesome at it

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
IMO Laughton is a much better skater than Stoll.

Stoll is physically more imposing 6'2 215lbs with a booming shot that makes him a PP threat.

Laughton reminds me more of a poor man's Mike Pecca.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
This is just a top ten list. The list is not exhaustive. The DFF Hockey Name Hall of Fame will be open to the public in 2016, but for now it will just be lists that are posted in random HFBoards threads.
Klinkhammer needs to be in the top ten due to still being active. We need a separate thread for this. Someone make a tournament out of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad