Proposal: Scott Laughton + Andrew MacDonald for 2nd + 3rd

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No one's doing that. Unlike Bickell, MacDonald is signed through 2020 at a $5 million cap hit. Laughton isn't as good as TT.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just wondering if the flyers did a "Teravainen and Bickell for 2nd (NYR) in 2016 & 3rd (CHI returned) in 2017" trade, would be worth it... sometinh like

Scott Laughton + Andrew MacDonald for 2nd + 3rd

Discuss

Until we find out if the rumor about the expansion draft that you have to expose 25% of your previous seasons roster is true, I want to hang onto MacDonald. After the expansion draft, if he is still here, I would consider making a deal like this. It would also give us 1 more year to assess Laughton.

DaftCaptain

Apr 9, 2014
ATL
wonderbeardproductions.com
Until we find out if the rumor about the expansion draft that you have to expose 25% of your previous seasons roster is true, I want to hang onto MacDonald. After the expansion draft, if he is still here, I would consider making a deal like this. It would also give us 1 more year to assess Laughton.

I could understand that. I really hope LV picks him up!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Yea it may be a good thing we have him for the expansion draft. And they may want him. He is a decent dman IMO. He may be one of their best options and is signed for awhile.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Also, Chicago needed that space for Paranin next year, why hey picked up for free and is way better than TT. He flyers would be clearing it to overpay for a UFA replacement.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Teravainen >> Laughton.

Bickell's contract >>>>>> MacDonald's

Not even close. That's not comparable offer. You would have to probably include Morin or Sanheim to MacDonald's contract. Or our 1st round pick + prospect.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Nobody would do that because Laughton isn't as good or promising as TT and Mac's contract is worse than Bickell's. I'd definitely do that if it were possible though.

Conversely, I would never have done that Blackhawks trade if TT and Bickell were ours.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I am not trading Laughton to get rid of Amac. I'm sorry.

I refuse to let Laughton be relegated to a guy we can just let go of at any time.

No. No. No.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am not trading Laughton to get rid of Amac. I'm sorry.

I refuse to let Laughton be relegated to a guy we can just let go of at any time.

No. No. No.

We would be getting a 2nd and 3rd and saving $20 million dollars. Don't forget that.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Trading TT was a mistake, so would trading Laughton for a cap dump, unless we really need the cap space for something crazy.

I'm not giving up on Laughton yet. He'll be good. Cap space is important sure, but so is having good cheap young players on our roster. Think about it that way : when Laughton breaks out, we'll have a very good player at low cost, which saves us cap space aswell.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
They don't need to make a move like this, so they shouldn't. Laughton has plenty of potential still; it would be silly to unload him b/c his teammate is overpaid by a couple mill. If you keep cheap guys like Laughton, you can afford to retain on guys like Amac if you must. Hexy might be able to expose Amac in two consecutive expansions. Those two picks aren't worth enough right now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't see many downsides to waiting to see things play out in regards to MacDonald's contract the next few years. Losing Vinny's & Umberger's contract with minimal to no damage on top of an influx of young talent in cheap(er) contracts has really brightened up the picture & bought Hextall some time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think people are making the premature assumption that the Flyers see Andrew MacDonald has having negative value.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really don't see many downsides to waiting to see things play out in regards to MacDonald's contract the next few years. Losing Vinny's & Umberger's contract with minimal to no damage on top of an influx of young talent in cheap(er) contracts has really brightened up the picture & bought Hextall some time.

Yeah, I think people severely exaggerate the need to get rid of MacDonald. His contract isn't good, but it's not going to kill us, especially since we were able to dump Umberger and Lecavalier. Plus Streit and Schultz will be gone soon.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I think people severely exaggerate the need to get rid of MacDonald. His contract isn't good, but it's not going to kill us, especially since we were able to dump Umberger and Lecavalier. Plus Streit and Schultz will be gone soon.

He's a horrible contract value but unlike those two (Umberger & Lecavalier) I think he can be ok in a limited role & ignoring the contract I think he's viewed more favorably to some GM's than fans & such. As the years go on & the cap situation potentially clears up I think they could get out of the contract with little to no damage.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Getting rid of Vinny and his 4.5 million 2 years earlier than expected is a big bonus for us. Imagine if we had that still on our books this coming year and in 2017/18

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's a horrible contract value but unlike those two (Umberger & Lecavalier) I think he can be ok in a limited role & ignoring the contract I think he's viewed more favorably to some GM's than fans & such. As the years go on & the cap situation potentially clears up I think they could get out of the contract with little to no damage.

oh absolutely. You see it all the time, GMs and fans often have very different views of certain players. And even if he did stay here until the end of his contract, it's not going to be that big of a deal as long as he's not being forced to do too much. His cap hit sucks, but with all the young talent coming with their ELCs we shouldn't have any issues with it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think people are making the premature assumption that the Flyers see Andrew MacDonald has having negative value.

I dont think there are any illusions about that. He is a $2.5 million defensemen making double that and for another 4 years. His money could easily be spent on a player with a much bigger impact. By 2018 he is probably a healthy scratch if still here at all. He 100% has negative value because of that albatross of a contract.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Getting rid of Vinny and his 4.5 million 2 years earlier than expected is a big bonus for us. Imagine if we had that still on our books this coming year and in 2017/18

The Flyers have a rich history of getting out of terrible contracts with little to no damage as much as they do with handing the contracts out in the first place. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It'll be interesting to see what Kris Russell gets as a FA. He's another guy who gets spit on by fans, but a GM just traded a 1st+ to rent him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The ONLY reason I'd do this trade is so we can make it easier to narrow our protection for expansion.

I'm stuck between Laughton, Cousins, and Raffl. I like Raffl, but Laughton has good potential still. Cousins played very, very well last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad