Scott Harrington

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

Well neither one would be confused with the best defenders from that draft, they are still very young for a defender and should be given a couple more years before any concern starts creeping in.

Fair enough, I just figured that if a 1st/2nd round draft pick is good enough to ever play in the NHL, he would be ready by his 5th post-draft year. I was hoping they could make the team this year. Are there any other cases of highly-ranked skating prospects taking longer than 5 years to crack an NHL lineup, while eventually becoming an impact player? Other than Niklas Kronwall, I can't think of any.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fair enough, I just figured that if a 1st/2nd round draft pick is good enough to ever play in the NHL, he would be ready by his 5th post-draft year. I was hoping they could make the team this year. Are there any other cases of highly-ranked skating prospects taking longer than 5 years to crack an NHL lineup, while eventually becoming an impact player? Other than Niklas Kronwall, I can't think of any.

Brooks Orpik?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Percy and harrington are very similar prospects imo
Although I think percy will be a bit better

Harrington: LHD, 6'1, 203 pounds
AHL
2013-2014: 76 gms 24 pts, 0.31
2014-2015: 48 gms 12 pts, 0.25
NHL 2014-2015: 10 gms 0 pts

Percy: LHD, 6'1, 193 pounds
AHL
2013-2014: 71 gms 25 pts, 0.35
2014-2015: 43 gms 11 pts, 0.25
NHL 2014- 2015: 9 gms 3 point, 0.27

As well as percy having a better junior career

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Loved me some Yushkevich. Svehla chapped my ass as soon as he got here, taking number 67, wtf was wrong with that guy

Hey now. Svehla's one year here was probably the single best all-around season I've seen out of a Leaf defender since I started watching in the late 90's. The guy was a two-way beast.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Hey now. Svehla's one year here was probably the single best all-around season I've seen out of a Leaf defender since I started watching in the late 90's. The guy was a two-way beast.

I agree with this. Was pissed when the trade went down not knowing anything about Svehla, but he won me over pretty quick with his rugged 2-way play. Also, Yuskie was pretty much done at this point due to the undiagnosed blood clot that formed in his leg from all of the shot blocking his body endured over the years.

Would of been a steal of a trade had Svehla had not chosen to retire a yr later due to his homesickness :(

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree with this. Was pissed when the trade went down not knowing anything about Svehla, but he won me over pretty quick with his rugged 2-way play. Also, Yuskie was pretty much done at this point due to the undiagnosed blood clot that formed in his leg from all of the shot blocking his body endured over the years.

Would of been a steal of a trade had Svehla had not chosen to retire a yr later due to his homesickness :(

That 2004 team could have done a lot more damage with Svehla on the blueline to go with Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle and company. Damn.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We've got all the time in the world to wait.

Remember Anton Stralman? A lot of teams passed him by (including us). Now hes a top pairing dman on a Cup contending team.

As for offense, well, I dont really care. We've got Rielly and Gardiner who should fill the offensive roles of the top two pairings. Beyond that we dont need any more then average offense from the defense.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
We've got all the time in the world to wait.

Remember Anton Stralman? A lot of teams passed him by (including us). Now hes a top pairing dman on a Cup contending team.

As for offense, well, I dont really care. We've got Rielly and Gardiner who should fill the offensive roles of the top two pairings. Beyond that we dont need any more then average offense from the defense.

Stralman was a usage case, once Tampa put him in an offensive role he excelled. Took over for Hedman a lot this year during injury and helped stabalize them. I think getting more PP usage than additions like Garrison.

I see Percy in Stralman, you see hints of offensive gifts the same way - I dont really see that with Harrington in the NHL games I watched.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Liked and respected Kaberle. Loved Yushkevich!!!! He was a ******** warhorse and everything you would want in a Defenseman during crunch time. Of course I'm speaking for myself, but I know alot of other Leaf fans who feel the same way about him.

Yuskevitch was a beast. Rouse, Lefevbre and even Macoun were all very competent defenders like we haven't seen for a long time. And Dany Markov could have been a star if he wasn't such a nut.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Re junior careers of Percy and Harrington: Harrington was a two time top pairing World Junior team member. Percy didn't even get a tryout, IIRC. Harrington had the better junior career. But it isn't very relevant at this point.

As to his foot speed, I intend to watch him next year and form my own opinion.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Re junior careers of Percy and Harrington: Harrington was a two time top pairing World Junior team member. Percy didn't even get a tryout, IIRC. Harrington had the better junior career. But it isn't very relevant at this point.

As to his foot speed, I intend to watch him next year and form my own opinion.

Yes, I remember him getting more ice time than Rielly. He was a rock back there. As for his skating, his hf profile says he is a mobile skater:dunno:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Just realized how little I know about Scott Harrington. So of course I researched him, and from everything I've been reading; he seems like a probable top 4 defenseman because he can play in all three zones, and he's big & mobile. The only knock I see on him is that he probably will not ever be someone who puts up 30 points. For a guy that's only 22 and starting to look to good for the AHL, I'm thinking he actually might get a shot with the leafs this season? Just wondering what people think of him.

Played well at the NHL level in some limited playing time. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a better career than Kapanen, and I like Kapanen. I could see Scott having an Alzner like career. Good pick up by the Leafs.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

I would put Schneider up there as well.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, we've had our fill of defencemen like Finger, Exelby, Frogren and Wozniewski. Winning teams don't have them. The last defensive defenseman that was featured by a Cup winner was Brooks Orpik, and Pittsburgh still dropped him like hot coals.

The fact is that defenceman that can't put up points aren't just bad in the offensive zone, but it also is indicative of lack of ability in the defensive zone. Dekeing forecheckers to skate out and make a breakout pass uses the same kind of skillset as making a keep-in play at the offensive blueline, or a sick cross-ice backdoor pass while under pressure. If you can't do the latter, you likely won't be very good at breakouts. Passing, skating, protecting the puck, deking: These are the things that make you successful in all three zones.

The new Leafs management agree with this perspective. Guys vying for the bottom pairing? Matt Hunwick - bigtime AHL scorer, Marincin - decent AHL scorer, Brennan - bigtime AHL scorer. Even steady-eddy guys like Stu Percy are decent scorers in the AHL and Junior.

You need balance. Not everyone will put up 30 plus points. The guys who play the tough reliable minutes are really just as valuable as the guys putting up points.

I like how you named some of the worst signed d men the leafs had over the past decade or so to try and make a point. Its wrong but nice try none the less.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I've read more than a few reports that Harrington was close to NHL ready last year. "Too good for the AHL" kept appearing in the comments I saw, not because he's going to give you a ton of points, but because he's very strong in his own zone winning 50/50 battles and getting the puck out and is a decent shot blocker as well. 48 games played and +19 is a nice stat to see. I'd like to see him paired with a real good puck mover like Gards/Riles to see if he's ready for the show.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Thanks, I guess it's more common than I thought.

A lot of defenders play in the NHL by the time they are 22, that part is correct - but it's very common for Defenders to not fully develop until they are around 25/26 years old. Even guys like Chris Pronger, and Chara, - while being a good D at a young age, did not really become the impact players they were until around 25 - 26.

While it may raise an eyebrow that they are taking a patient approach - the fact remains that both of these guys are a long way from being written off.

The last thing we need is another Stralman situation :help:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A lot of defenders play in the NHL by the time they are 22, that part is correct - but it's very common for Defenders to not fully develop until they are around 25/26 years old. Even guys like Chris Pronger, and Chara, - while being a good D at a young age, did not really become the impact players they were until around 25 - 26.

While it may raise an eyebrow that they are taking a patient approach - the fact remains that both of these guys are a long way from being written off.

The last thing we need is another Stralman situation :help:

Talking about development time, people should check out when Lidstrom won his first Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad