Scott Harrington

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Talking about development time, people should check out when Lidstrom won his first Norris.

Heh.heh..I know right, the great Lidstrom never won until he was in his 30's. But look at his competition those first 10 years...Bourque, Leetch, Pronger, Blake, Chelios, a smorgasbord of elite defensemen. Your point is taken though, he did get votes for the Norris those first 10 years, but amazingly enough not a serious amount until 97/98 and was a bridesmaid until he finally won it.

Lidstrom never had AHL time and had a 60 point rookie season at 21 years old. Probably a tough player to compare to for our young Percy's and Harrington:laugh:

Rufio65*

A lot of defenders play in the NHL by the time they are 22, that part is correct - but it's very common for Defenders to not fully develop until they are around 25/26 years old. Even guys like Chris Pronger, and Chara, - while being a good D at a young age, did not really become the impact players they were until around 25 - 26.

While it may raise an eyebrow that they are taking a patient approach - the fact remains that both of these guys are a long way from being written off.

The last thing we need is another Stralman situation :help:

Sometimes guys just aren't athletic enough to compete at the highest level, that is the case with Harrington. He is smart and is a character kid, but he is just too slow and I doubt that is going to change at this point.

You can't just wait for guys to become 25/26 years old and hope that they turn it on. You can preach patience all you want, but at no point in time has Scott Harrington looked like an NHL caliber talent.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
A lot of defenders play in the NHL by the time they are 22, that part is correct - but it's very common for Defenders to not fully develop until they are around 25/26 years old. Even guys like Chris Pronger, and Chara, - while being a good D at a young age, did not really become the impact players they were until around 25 - 26.

While it may raise an eyebrow that they are taking a patient approach - the fact remains that both of these guys are a long way from being written off.

The last thing we need is another Stralman situation :help:

Yes I was referring to breaking into the league by age 22, not necessarily being a star by that age. I realize it takes a few years of NHL service to fully develop (in some cases, even longer), I just couldn't think of many cases where that type of player hadn't even broken into the league by a certain point. Not that I expect either of Harrington or Percy to become a star.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Yes I was referring to breaking into the league by age 22, not necessarily being a star by that age. I realize it takes a few years of NHL service to fully develop (in some cases, even longer), I just couldn't think of many cases where that type of player hadn't even broken into the league by a certain point. Not that I expect either of Harrington or Percy to become a star.

I guess it depends on what you consider 'breaking into the league'. Both Percy and Harrington have managed to get in some games at the NHL level in their draft+4 seasons, and I expect both to get a look again this season (most likely after TDL when a body or 2 is gone and Robidas is injured again). IMO, just because a guy isn't a full-time NHLer before his ELC expires, it doesn't mean he still can't become a good player.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm personally not going to get excited about Harrington.

He was the go ahead and have him piece the Pens put in the Keseel trade.

That's got to say something right there about his ceiling and what they really think of him.

Hope he turns into something above decent bottom pairing D

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm personally not going to get excited about Harrington.

He was the go ahead and have him piece the Pena put in the Keseel trade.

That's got to say something right there about his ceiling and what they really think of him.

Hope he turns into something above decent bottom pairing D

Yeah, there's no way we actually got multiple good pieces back for Kessel.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah, there's no way we actually got multiple good pieces back for Kessel.

From all reports there was little resistance to putting Harrington in the deal.

I just think that should raise a few eyebrows. I'll wait and see on him.

Kapanen and the first I'm excited about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad