TSN: Scott Cullen's Offseason Plan for the Sabres

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Impossible for hockey scribes to follow 31 teams closely, why we get articles like these. And NHL GM's and coaches aren't much better, as fans we vastly overrate what they know. On the other hand we fans put our own players under such harsh microscopes that we also develop our own kind of ignorance. McCabe gets trashed on this board but his reputation around the league is better than that. Meaning he is trade bait and he's also a guy who can still fit in somewhere on our blueline if need be.

Fabbri and Kostin is a **** return for ROR. First Fabbri wrecked his knee pretty badly so I'm not trading for him. I would consider trading ROR for Parayko straight up, for Vince Dunn and Jordan Kyrou, i'd add something to ROR to get Dunn and Robert Thomas.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Impossible for hockey scribes to follow 31 teams closely, why we get articles like these. And NHL GM's and coaches aren't much better, as fans we vastly overrate what they know. On the other hand we fans put our own players under such harsh microscopes that we also develop our own kind of ignorance. McCabe gets trashed on this board but his reputation around the league is better than that. Meaning he is trade bait and he's also a guy who can still fit in somewhere on our blueline if need be.

Fabbri and Kostin is a **** return for ROR. First Fabbri wrecked his knee pretty badly so I'm not trading for him. I would consider trading ROR for Parayko straight up, for Vince Dunn and Jordan Kyrou, i'd add something to ROR to get Dunn and Robert Thomas.
Is it really impossible? It's their job. You can tell who takes their job seriously and who doesn't.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I've always found Cullen's "articles" to be some of the worst out there. He manages to blend not watching players and only looking at their advanced stats with outlandish trade proposals in a way that would make most posters here weep. I'm pretty sure what he said about McCabe is directly ripped from a Machinehead post.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Vegas has a bunch of quality D. I wonder what we would have to trade to get C. Miller. 22 years old 41 points, plays PP shots and hits.

When VGK is healthy he is the #4 D. I would love to get a guy like that.

Reactions: Reddawg

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I think in the article he mentions what we could possibly get if we trade ROR. And he said Fabbri and Kostin.. as much as I like Fabbri, his injury really didn't look well with me. I hope he doesn't become an injury bug.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think in the article he mentions what we could possibly get if we trade ROR. And he said Fabbri and Kostin.. as much as I like Fabbri, his injury really didn't look well with me. I hope he doesn't become an injury bug.
He doesn't say it in the article (unless he updated it) but he did mention that an ROR trade was how he's slotting in Fabbri and Kostin on Twitter.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Try and guess the D without looking.

HEROES

– It probably says something about the Sabres season that a solid defensive defenceman qualifies as one of the better performances of the season, but that’s the case with __, who was steady when not many Sabres blueliners could make such a claim.
Scandella?

Edit - McCabe???? Does this guy even pay attention to Sabres hockey? If all it takes is a computer and an opinion, and practically zero exposure to the sport - i could be a sports columnist too.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
sure, but that trade is not remotely realistic.

I would give up a lot for Miller.

The Vegas D I was wondering about acquiring at the beginning of last year was either Brad Hunt or Jake Bischoff... both looked like they belonged in the NHL in preseason, but Vegas is replete with middle-pair type guys. There would have been minutes for either/both in Buffalo.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Couldn't a shot dispersion like that, without any context, just mean that McCabe is passively collapsing down in front of the net and doing nothing whatsoever to attack, regain possession, transition, etc.? Not saying that's the case, just saying context matters.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
McCabe could rebound, I dont remember him being as bad years prior.

What I don't understand is why hockey players chose to play injured tho. Sure it says your tough but if your game is horrible because of it you are killing the team.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I like how he just threw Robby Fabbri onto our top line without even a token explanation of how we're getting another team's 22yo RFA stud away from them. Are we meant to just infer that ROR goes to St. Louis and they ship us Fabbri and Kostin?

Cool, let’s slot Mittelstadt as 2C as a rookie with no quality shutdown center. Cullen’s article was ok, apart from the stokesian ROR trade.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Offseason game plan?

More like type 30 one-sentence paragraphs that vaguely and often inaccurately describe players....and then make some poorly thought-out suggestions.

Potato Patato I guess!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is on GR talking about this right now. Seems some of the McCabe hero was due to there being no one else.

Reactions: jBuds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad